Omg so scared i take antacids with my prenatals everyday.... I didnt know!!!!

Wishing4long

Mom and pregnant with #2
Reaction score
I do not know why I decided to read up on Zantac since I have been taking it everyday since the beginning of my pregnancy. I have terrible acid reflux and both my GI and OB assured me it is completely fine. NOW I AM READING that you SHOULD never take it at the same time as prenatals but that you should space them apart because it will reduce the absorption of key vitamins. I AM SO SCARED NOW, I am reading about spinal fibia, neural tube defects all these terrible things that can happen from not taking prenatals. I cannot believe my doctor didn't tell me I AM SO MAD RIGHT NOW

Deep breaths! And stop Googling!

Where are you reading that you should never take it? If your OB and GI have both assured you it's fine, it's really unlikely that you have anything to be concerned about.

Many women do not take supplements at all during pregnancy (despite recommendations) and their babies are fine. If you have a generally healthy diet, you are likely not even deficient.

Call your doctor to check, but it's unlikely there is really anything to worry about.

They have to say things like that to cover them but I am sure you are ok!! Call your Dr tomorrow if it will make you feel better and help you relax but I am sure everything is fine!!

You're definitely okay hun, your baby will take what it needs from you, if anyone is missing out on vitamins it'll be you, and chances are you aren't lacking too majorly. I've decided not to take prenatals as they make me sick, no point taking them if I throw them right up! And my baby is healthy as can be.

Always remember dr. Google is never a friend!

I think the risk of these things happening is relatively low.

Taking antacids for a longer period of time can have horrible effects on your stomach acid and digestion :/. It can permanently lower your stomach acid, hence you won't be able to break down and absorb nutrients from foods. Been there and it is a difficult task restoring your stomach acid.
You can drink a teaspoon of baking soda in water to help heartburn. It works quickly and is not as aggressive on your stomach acid.

I don't have acid reflux this time around but what I keep reading on Paleo forums is that many moms are able to keep it away by strictly avoiding Gluten. This shouldn't be hard as you can find any product Gluten Free. Cookies, bread, noodles etc. (the bread tastes better toasted!)

When I had a stomach infection last year from antibiotics (side effect) I even had to eat lower in carbs, specifically avoid starches for a while. I also ate lots of Gelatin (bone broth, home made jello sweetened with honey or stevia) to coat the irritated stomach lining.

Here is some general advice for reflux that seems to help many:

-No grains, especially gluten. However, later in pregnancy I would try some sprouted bread or sour dough bread (available at whole foods)

-Low carb in the morning, higher in fat (good fats that do not -cause heartburn - butter, coconut, olive oil, palm oil). Save your carbs for the evening.

-Try eliminating foods high in FODMAPS.

-Steaming and boiling are better than frying and baking.

-Bone broth in the morning among other foods.

And if your digestion isn't doing perfect consider adding digestive enzymes and probiotics to help your nutrient absorption. Restoring stomach acid with supplements I imagine to be difficult in pregnancy.

Oh im sure everything is fine. If you have a normal healthy diet any way then prenatals are just an extra boost.
Ive only actually taken vitamins about 5 times this pregnancy because they make me sick i took folic acid for a week after i found out i was pregnant but couldn't keep them down either.

Rest assured that your baby will take all the nutrients it needs from you, whether you take prenatals or not. Just because you don't take them doesn't automatically mean something will be wrong with babe :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->