on iron supplyments but still exhausted!??

mummyof3babas

Reaction score
im taking 3 iron tablets a day plus vit b12 injections as my iron was at 8,7 and not going up due to vit b12 defiecency but im still exhausted:( could sleep all day (obv cant lol) just feels like there not working and im due in a couple of weeks so really need my iron stores up and energy anyone else feel like this even with taking iron supplements? x:flower:

Yes I was having 2 tablets and day and iron levels dropped!! Soo now on three and the past week I have been sleeping 10+ hours without waking and wake up like I've only had 10 mins!!

Been advised to eat broccoli and spinach an dried apricots and dark chocolate! And also to take the tablets with orange juice because it helps u to absorb the iron and not to have them with milk(cereal) because the milk acts like a barrier!! I too only have 4 weeks left so starting to stress about it! Xxx

I am seeng obstetrician tomorrow and a bit nervous about my iron levels. I tried to make them rise from 10 on diet alone with green veg, apricots and red meat but the level fell to 9.2. My vit b12 was checked and I haven't heard anything back to say it was abnormal. I am now taking 3 iron tablets per day but they make me feel so nauseous that I can hardly eat and I am constantly at the toilet being sick or having loose motions.
I am having a section in 4-5 weeks so nervous how my levels will be by then. Des anyone know if they can give you iron injections?

well im on b12 injections due to my levels not rising, but if its becomes any lower like 8 u normally have to have an iron transfusion( had 3 with my first) but they try there best to raise them before that anyway x

Green veg can be an ineffective way of getting iron for some people as it can contain two things that block iron absorption, oxalic acid also known as tannins (these are also found in tea and coffee) and high levels of calcium-so it's possible for some individuals leafy green veg could lower iron levels. Spinach is the worst culprit and I believe broccoli and other greens also contain a lot of calcium. So it may be better if your iron levels are very low to temporarily avoid dark green leafy veggies and get your iron from other sources instead. Xx

make sure you take your supplements without food (taking with food can sweep it out of your system or so i've read) and as pp said with a glass of oj! it'll probably take a few days or more to regulate. I've been eating organ meat when I feel a little low too, but you can google good sources of iron as well. blackstrap molasses for example has a lot of iron per tbsp

I'm taking tablets on an empty stomach with orange juice. Cut back on broccoli, sprouts and spinach purely for the fact I am feeling gassy enough with iron tablets upsetting my tummy. I am prone to anaemia when not pregnant - blood donation had always been hit or miss as iron levels often too low to donate. However, green veg always managed to get it to rise. Now I eat red meat again, i am hoping that a good old steak every othe night will help.
Am avoiding dairy too as I have heard it can affect absorption.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->