Only 9 weeks - planning ahead!

MissyBlaze

Reaction score
I would LOVE a homebirth. I've always wanted one. I really like the idea of being in my own home. My OH is super squeamish too and I think I like the idea that he can also be in his own home and be free to come in and out of the room without having to stand/faint in a corridor.

I have my booking appointment next week and am going to mention this to my midwife, i have a friend who was met with loads of resistance when she asked so am a bit nervous!

Also, is it possible to hire a birth pool?

Congrats and hello!

You can certainly hire pools or buy 2nd hand...there have been a few threads about pools so do a quick search, I was a dry land girl so cant help you with specifics.

Being at home certainly helps with the squeamish thing as they arent already on edge being in a hospital.

Where abouts are you may I ask?

Some areas differ wildly in their support for HB, just remember birthing where you choose is a right in th UK, if you choose to HB then you have to be attended and don't be told otherwise.

I'm in Wiltshire, i'm only about a 5 minute drive from the Swindon hospital so actually feel pretty safe overall. OH is really supportive too. I think I may well be a dry land gal too but i'd quite like the option. Don't think my rubbish old bath will help much!
x

You'd be surprised any water in early labour is good it just helps to soothe as it takes the weight off a bit.

I would have loved a pool but faced a not very supportive hubby who would only say yes to HB if there was no pool <facepalm> I was having a VBAC though so he was a bit scared.

You're only a few mins form the hospital so there should be no worries, HB are as safe as hospital and certainly less fuss!

Is this your first baby?

Yes, it's my first baby, so i'm sure i'll have some eye rolling etc. I just feel like i'll be able to relax much more at home.

I can kind of understand your OHs scardiess if you were a VBAC. Birth is worrying at the best of times, isn't it!

So did you have a HB? Well done on the VBAC, that's ace! x

Didnt quite get to HBAC, we transferred in the end (30 minute drive) as event hough I was fully dilated I had no urge because naughty baby had turned posterior and I was bleeding quite a bit.

Still managed my VBAC on gas and air only - although my squeamish hubby wasnt so chuffed, he was ducking in and out of the room or was holding my hand with his head between his legs LOL...he did steal a look when the head was out without keeling over so he did better than he thought LOL! Men eh?

You may find you MW may not be overly keen as this is your first baby and the labours are sometimes more awkward but keep in mind it is just as safe at home, you'll labour better at home and if you relax more you'll need less fussing over in the way of monitoring/interventions/pain relief. etc.

Hi missy! Go to yr MW with open mind, ears and heart and she might just surprise you! And if she doesn't just smile sweetly and remember ultimately it's your decision where you birth and she has a duty to support your wishes.

Pools can be hired or bought and some home birth groups loan them for a minmal fee. Doulas often include them in their packages and even buying a pool cam be fairly low cost. They often come up on eBay second hand or brand new and not used. Look on gumtree and even free cycle too :)

Hey missy good luck with your MW hopefully she will support your choices, that is what she is there to do after all (however....!!!)

As for birth pools i looked into renting recently and actually found that buying was cheaper than renting - and you can always sell it on after :)

Well I mentioned it to the midwife today. My usual one was off sick so it was another one. She said, "oh you'd have to discuss it with your normal MW but as its your first you should try the MLU so you're safe. Its lovely so it's basically the same as a homebirth anyway" (I seriously live a 5 minute drive from the hospital).

Grrr, I hope my normal MW is more open to it than that. The MLU does look nice but it's NOT the same as your own home.

Hey. I'm almost in the same boat as you are. I'm around 8 weeks pregnant. And wanting a natural home birth with maybe birthing pool.
The only difference, is the OH is against the whole process. He laughed when I wanted natural birth, said I cry like a baby when I cut myself. And, was unbelievably against a homebirth as he know someone who died at home giving birth ((Sorry to mention something like that but that's the reason why)) So no matter what I say he says no and won't support me if I decide on a home birth.

I haven't had a midwife appointment, it's next week. So I'll ask her what she thinks and what I can do to presaude the OH. MEN.:growlmad:

Glad I'm not the only one.

Oh no! I'm so sorry, that's really bad. I have to say one of my VERY close friends lost her baby in a home birth situation, it was a placental abruption so would have happened if she was in hospital anyway although she'd have obviously had access to CS sooner.

It hasn't put me off though. Statistically HB is safer. I hope you can persuade him .
x

I went to a HB local group meeting and it was amazing. There were women who had had their babies at home, some women had planned to and transferred to hospital and some were just planning it while pregnant.
I found it really useful in speaking to women who had gone through it, asking questions and finding out they hire out birth pools for free!
I think you can find details of your local group on NCT website, might be worth one meeting to give you more info.
There was also a lot of women who had come against pressure from MW's to go to hospital and advice on how to deal with those situations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->