OT but advice needed from working mums

Mummytobe85

Reaction score
Im currently looking to go back to work next year but not at my old workplace as its almost 1.5 hours each way :cry: and there's no way i would even see LO if i were to work full time there! :cry:

Anyway i was wondering how i approach the subject of "im on maternity leave" at interviews...do i mention that i got a LO and im looking for work closer to home? if they were to ask me why im looking for a new job? or even mention that im currently on maternity? :shrug:

Dont mean to sound rude but i know most employees have something against working mums, im looking for part time work tbh but then again im open to full time if its closer to home as both sets of grandparents are willing to look after LO. :hugs:

If you aren't comfortable disclosing that you are a mother yet, just tell them you are looking for work closer to home and that's that. And you are available on "x" date to start :)

You don't have to disclose that you're on maternity leave, I did training on this a few years ago when I was conducting job interviews and I was not allowed to ask things like if someone was married or had kids even as small talk. It's classed as sexual discrimination as you may be trying to determine their likelihood of going on maternity or taking leave for family matters etc.

So basically you're not legally obliged to tell them. And if you work somewhere for 2 years with maternity leave in the middle then you'd put "2 years" as length of service on your cv, even though half of it you were off with baby.

It may be more complex with regards to start dates if you're interviewing months before you want to work. If they are interviewing in advance then no problem (like my friend who is on maternity and got a job in a new school being opened next year, they interviewed all their staff 6 months in advance). But most openings will require a more immediate start.

I agree w/ above. You don't even need to state your a new mother or that you're on maternity unless it's asked (which it shouldn't be).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->