Other people have premature babies, not me...

B

Brownbug

Having a premature baby never even crossed my mind. Having a complicated pregnancy never occurred to me. Having a difficult birth was something that was pretty unlikely. After experiencing all these things, I've really realized that there are NO rules in pregnancy, labour and delivery, and raising a child. I'm really happy that I've been able to relax and roll with the punches through this whole process; I've felt so well taken care of by the staff in the hospital, and I decided that there is no point in stressing about the things I can't change. I realize how foolish I was, and although I thought that I had decided not to make any assumptions about pregnancy, birth, or raising a child, that that is exactly what I had done. Good luck to all of us in the preemie club!

This is what I thought. Having a premature baby was something I watched on TV. Something I read in magazines. It was a complete shock to my system. After having 3 big healthy full term babies, I had no idea what or why this was happening. And looking back, it was like watching someone else go through it all, watching them through a window. I distanced myself from family and friends until Anya came home. But all of it made me so much stronger. :) xx

i feel bad because this section was one i never ventured in, i thought it was something that never ever applied to me :dohh:

Aw welcome to the club. They are little miracle babies! I thought the same thing. When reading through pregnancy books I would always skip the preemie section. I couldn't ask for a healthier and happier baby now, though!

Can totally relate to this! It never entered my head I would have a premature baby first time round so I was in a state of total disbelief and shock for about 6 months afterwards.

I can totally relate to this to.
I have had 2 premmies.It was hard enough having the 1 but when i got pregnant with DD i never expected her to be a premmie until i started bleeding at 28weeks and i knew it was going to happen all over again.
But never the less they are perfect little miracles in everyway possible xx

I really do wish they would give some advice to all pregnant women. Not to scare but to prepare. I had no experience of preemie babies at all. I did think though, when she came at 29 weeks, I wasn't worried because whatever happened I was having a baby, which after 3 miscarriages was a comforting thought. I do wish I had known the statistics for survival etc, it would really have helped.

Totally took the words right out of my mouth! After having to be induced first time round it never occurred to me that anything would go wrong second time round, plus all the books made out that the chances of these things happening where like slim to none and 99% of women have totally normal pregnancies...hmm well guess we're all in the special 1%! I still can't really believe it all happened. xo

I think I was luckier than most - when early scans showed that I'd got problems, I was warned that Andrew could well be premature and that anything after 36 weeks would be a bonus. So we always expected him to be slightly premature. Then when things deteriorated at 28wks, again I had a little warning because the steroid jabs meant he stayed inside me for another week before he was delivered.

That was the first time I ventured into the Premature baby forum ... and I've been here ever since!

Edit. I've just re-read my first thread in here. I was soooooo naive, I knew nothing about SCBU procedures etc. The ladies in here were so nice, answering all my stupid questions. Thank you :kiss:

I was the same. It just didn't cross my mind. After the first tri I thought I was home and dry. Even when my waters went and I went into hospital I didn't expect to stay in. I just didn't know anything except for the 'normal' way things happen really. I'm worried that the same will happen next time and I'll have another, earlier preemie but I'll be better equiped to deal with that next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->