Ouch! Don't read if squemish!

Noodles

Mummy to two boys!
Reaction score
Right I won't go into too much detail as I know that you all have to give birth and it will only panic you.

As of Tuesday he still wasn't even a little bit engaged, in fact he was an inch above the brim of my cervix (he was half an inch the week before). Christmas eve at 2pm (just when I started to wrap my hubby's presents I started to get back ache (something that I had never had before) I thought it was odd, but I just presumed that it was due to me bending over to wrap all of the presents.

4am Christmas morning I woke up with contractions although I didn't realise that's what they were at the time. I woke my hubby up at 6am to open presents and called the hospital at 6.30am to ask if they thought I was having contractions (it was just a really severe pain in the base of my spine but my tummy didn't tighten at all). I was told that it could be something or nothing and just to carry on and see how it went. I had some breakfast and got back to opening presents which I was now doing whilst leaning over my birthing ball.

By 2pm it had gotten worse and I called the hospital and was told to come in. After waiting for 30 mins in triage (which felt like a life time) I was examined and I was 5 cm dilated, my waters were in tact and my show only came out when the midwife did the internal exam. The baby was fully enaged and lying back to back. My blood pressure was high (it's normally low) so I was made to stay on the consultants side of the unit which meant no birthing pool. I was given gas and air (which is fab) and was left to labour until my contractions were 2-3 mins apart and lasting for 40-60 seconds, then I was transfered into the delivery suite where I continued with gas and air until I felt I was struggling with the pain and I was advised to have pethidine. I wasn't sure about this, but by the time that I got to that stage I think I woulld have taken anything. I don't why I bothered as I had to wait for 40 mins for it (as it has to be signed out by two midwives) and it did sod all and only lasts for an hour.

So anyway I get to the pushing stage and by this time my pethidine had 'worn off' and they didn't want me to have any gas and air as I wouldn't know when to push so I had to deliver with sod all drugs and I swear if the doctor said 'go on you can push harder than that' one more time I was going to punch him in the face! Plus the midwife describing my cervix as being like the U bend of a toilet didn't help motivate me. My husband was fab though he kept me updated with what was happening with the baby and how much hair he had and how it would all be worth it when our little boy as here etc.

After 50 mins of pushing I finally gave birth to our baby boy who weighed 6lbs 8oz and I got a 2nd degree tear. After the birth I lost 1.5 litres of blood (not good) and they didn't know where it was coming from. The placenta also ripped which put waste products into my blood stream but because they were too busy trying to stop me bleeding to death (my heart rate hit 175 bpm) I got septicaemia which meant I was on IV antibiotics constantly when I got back to my recovery room. I also blackouted when I was trying to move from the bed to the wheelchair.

My husband said it was both the best and worst day of his life as he was convinced that I was going to die. I feel fine though if that helps makes anyone feel better.

I will admit that the stiches hurt a hell of a lot more than the labour! They could only use the bare minimum anaesthetics as my blood pressure was through the roof so I could actually feel the coldness and sharpness of the needle, not good!

But I must say that I would do it all again in a heartbeat (even the almost dying bit) as he is truly the greatest thing that has ever happened to me.

Remember I got through it and I'm a wimp! So I'm sure you lot will all be fine!

Best of luck!

omg your so brave congrats!!!!!!! xmas baby as well how fab, did u have to stay in long after the complications? xx

Congratulations!!!!!

Sounds like a scary but lovely story

omg your so brave congrats!!!!!!! xmas baby as well how fab, did u have to stay in long after the complications? xx

I came home today as I responded well to the anitbiotics and the fluids. I've got a huge load of pill to take for the next few weeks but it's worth it.

Reading the first part of your story, I thought what a lovely labour it sounded! Soon changed my mind when I got towards the end. Hope you have a speedy recovery. Your baby is beautiful x

I came home today as I responded well to the anitbiotics and the fluids. I've got a huge load of pill to take for the next few weeks but it's worth it.

thats good then im pleased your home and responding well rest up and congrats again xx

I'm sorry to hear your labor was so rough and scary, but I'm so thrilled you have your little man now. Congrats hun! :)

Congratulations on getting through such a hard birth (very positively too i may say), welcome to Dylan!!

Sounds like you have really been through it. You are very brave, I would have passed out long before then! Hope you have a speedy recovery. xxx

Blimey! Your positivity is inspiring! :shock: You did extremely well. Won't deny your birth story scared the crap out of me but you're unbelievably upbeat about it. I'd have fallen to bits lol :cry: Saw the pic in your other thread and he's delightful though so definately worth it! :thumbup: xx

Thanks for sharing your experience with us! I like to read birth stories because giving birth doesn't always go according to plans... Better knowing what could happen than fantasize endlessly on the perfect delivery! :)

Congratulations on making it through all that! I can't imagine it was easy in any way, but like you said, I'm sure it was totally worth it!

Wow - bit of a rollercoaster but glad to hear you are both okay. Impressed that you got to 5cm without G&A etc!!! Well done.

well done .... all the best with ur little man ... xxx

Sounds like you had a bit of a rough go with labor and delivery but congratulations on having your LO in your arms :)

Well done and huge congratulations! xx

well done you! scary but really inspiring... my little / big bean is still too comfy and doesn't give me much signs yet... :coffee:
but you are a brave woman all the best for all of you! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->