Our first born baby girl

wengchun

Reaction score
Our first baby girl was born premature at 34 weeks on early September 2009. She was admitted to NICU and attached to ventilator machine for 1 week. Soon after that, she was transferred to a semi-intensive care but still placed inside the incubator. she spent 2 weeks in the hospital before being allowed to come home with us. Until today, I still noticed that her breathing sometimes can be heavy. When I asked the doctor and nurses, they told me it is normal and it will take some time for the baby to adapt to the new world. I am still worry but always think positively.

She is fed with breast milk every 3 hours about 30-40 ml each time. However, there are times when she only takes 15-20 ml while there were rare cases where she drinks almost 60 ml!!! Sometimes she just wake up on her own each hour, after changing diaper, she will cry and ask for milk again...is this normal?

Any advice on what type of back-up milk powder for premature baby in case the breast milk stock is insufficient?

congratulations on your baby girl sounds like she is doing great, what is her name?

those amounts sound ok is it expressed milk or are you breast feeding if you dont mind me asking? babies like adults will vary in their appetite from meal to meal and completely normal hun.

If you express or BF regulrly then your milk supply will soon come in, having your baby early however may take a little longer and can be upsetting but if you persevere it will come in. There are a few girls in here who exclusively express who im sure can offer some advice.

As for formula, personally we use aptimal but I have heard cow and gate comfort is good, maybe ask your HV or call NICU. We would love to see pics of your wee beauty when your have the chance. x

Breast feeding frequently is perfectly normal. When we were in the NICU the lactation consultant told me that I can expect to feed at varying times and to forget about looking at the clock and to just feed on demand. You can expect to feed anywhere between 1 hour and every 3 for a while until they get bigger and your milk supply has been built up to what is adequate for them.

Also sometimes they like a quick snack and other times a big meal as the pp said.

thanks for the replies. we have gradually switched to similac neosure eyeQ. upon bringing the baby for check-up and consultation with a doctor, we are glad the baby's weight has increased. doctor said it is fine to use neosure if the breast milk supply is low.

now, we had to changed the diapers before feeding, otherwise she will not take the milk! her regular feeding interval is between 2-3 hours. she will wake up on her own. so, it is almost 8-12 diapers a day!!!

Congrats on your little one!!

Its very normal and it sounds like the doctor may have solved your feeding questions for you. Or you did, =)

Its very normal for a preemie to get tired sucking and eating. Differing their intake at each feed.

Also if you want advice on increasing your breastmilk supply the breast feeding forum has a wealth of knowledge...or I can help you as Ive been pumping for 11 months now.

Good luck and congrats again!

sorry wengchun only just noticed your a daddy not a mummy and im banging on about you breasfeeding :dohh: how is your lo getting on. Its quite refreshing having a daddy's opinion in here hehe x

Hello! congratulations on your little girl:happydance:.

how is she doing now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->