Over 35?

sam05

waiting for #2!!!
Reaction score
Any other "older" mom's to be? I went to the doc to arrange a confirmation blood test and she made me feel like I was about a hundred years old - I'm 36!

Any other "older" mom's to be? I went to the doc to arrange a confirmation blood test and she made me feel like I was about a hundred years old - I'm 36!

I'm really mad she made you feel like that! :muaha:

I was expecting a negative reaction from my midwife but she didn't make any comment about my age, I'm 36 too. I've mentioned it to a couple of medical people while in various appointments (thinking I'll bring it up before you do...) and they have all said new moms in their mid to late 30's are really common. So she should just get over herself! xxx

Yeah, she said it was common, right before spending a half-hour talking about all the risks...she has referred me to the "advanced maternal age clinic" which at first I balked at, until I found out I could get an early ultrasound. Then I was all for it :haha:
I know there are some increased risks, but it has only been three years since I had my last son - could that much have changed since then? Anyway, my understanding is that despite the increased risks, most pregnancies over 35 still turn out well.

I'm 36 and my Dr has been wonderful. Your caregiver really shouldn't be making you feel bad AT ALL!

Same deal here. I had my son 3 years ago, when I'd just turned 35, but this time around they're acting like I'm fragile and incapable of carrying a healthy child! Fine with me - I get extra ultrasounds due to my advanced maternal age! :rofl:

I come from a long line a women who all had healthy babies in their late 30s and early 40s so I'm pretty sure this baby will be just fine!

She obviously needs to come out of the dark ages! I'm 36 at end of month and my GP has made me feel great she didn't even mention my age, that's how it should be more and more women are having babies at this age now and are healthier than ever. It is recommended to get your nuchal fold test/scan with blood test though if you over 35 to detect downs syndrome(11-14wks) generally privately, which I will probably be doing . i know that I am healthier and fitter than most my younger colleagues at work. You could always see a different Doc? Bloody cheek!

My GP didn't mention my age, nor did she do a blood test to confirm my pregnancy which I found odd. She just said she would write a referral to the midwives. I'd been in a fertility clinic and I'd rung them first and they booked me in for a scan at 8 weeks, but I didn't know that was because of my age - not sure it is - but maybe because of my gynae background. Have no idea from the lack of information that came out of my Dr what is happening, when I will have my booking visit or anything. Good job I bought myself a book so I'd know what to expect - but as a first timer, I would have thought they'd explain more.

I'm going on holiday when I am 10 weeks - flying to the US, and want to know everything is alright before I go.

I guess each area's health care system is different.

I guess this post is also my :bfp: announcement.

Jo

Congrats Jo!

I don't know if my obgyn just assumed I knew what I was doing since this is my second, but I got ZIP info from them when I made my first appt. too. I thought it was odd but thank God for the Internet! :rofl:

My GP didn't mention my age, nor did she do a blood test to confirm my pregnancy which I found odd. She just said she would write a referral to the midwives. I'd been in a fertility clinic and I'd rung them first and they booked me in for a scan at 8 weeks, but I didn't know that was because of my age - not sure it is - but maybe because of my gynae background.

This is my 1st baby, I called the doctors a week after my BFP & they said I didn't need to see the doctor,saw a midwife when I was 8 weeks. She just gave me my green notes & asked a few questions,said she'd get back in touch for my booking in appointment. She didn't, I had to call her when I was 11 weeks to see what was happening. I'd had my scan date through for the following week but hadn't even been booked in with the MW! Nobody confirmed my pregnancy, they just relied on the home test. My husband & I were convinced there would be nothing there at my 12 week scan and we'd made a mistake! :blush:

It's more to do with monitoring baby and not you, as unless there's a co-existing medical condition that impacts on health, most women of childbearing age can cope with pregnancy. You'll get extra care being 'older'

Down syndrome - the risks...
25 1351
49 12

Woops, trying to post the link to Down's risk and posted early. Being an older mum to be myself, my brain cells must be slipping.............

Down syndrome - the risks...
20 1529
25 1351
30 910
35 384
36 307
37 242
38 189
39 146
40 112
41 86
42 65
43 49
44 35
45 28
46 20
48 16
49 12

I'm getting seen by a Consultant as well as a midwife because of my asthma (very mild, I don't feel I'm any higher risk but midwife insisted) - the extra care is a plus though. You can ask to see a different doctor/nurse/midwife if you don't feel comfortable with the one you see :hug:

Thats crap! Ignore them. Average age now for women to have babies is 29 and rising! We just dont have the time nowadays :lol: I am 28 and glad I waited a bit longer than all my friends who have admitted to missing out on some stuff as they had kids really young xx

I'm 37, turning 38 on November 6th...and I don't consider myself old either.

My co-worker had her first at 42 and is thinking of another. No one ever mentioned her age at all.

Wow, I never had that happen to me. I just had Chase and I am 39 years of age.

Sorry they made you feel old. :hugs:

lol guys.. She didn't say the doctor said anything bad. She just felt the way she did because of all the risk talk the doctor was talking about which is totally normal. I love it when doctors are careful. You should be happy you got a doctor wanting to take the right steps. Ladies we gotta face it eventhough we can have healthy babies and pregnancies our eggs do grow old unfortunatly. Wow men are lucky :( They can have babies till after they die. Sighhhh

Yeah, I don't mean she said anything bad - I just think she could have not only focused on the negative, but also on the positives as well. Many, many women over 35 have healthy babies and it would have been nice to hear it from her. That's all.

Yep she could have said something nice and not just stuck with all the bad. Sucks when they are so quick about things too. I want a few things for my doc to change. I know tuns of woman still undecided about having a child and they are in their 30s. It is totally normal to wan't a child later on. Gosh I think I would still want one when im in my 40s. My mom is 53 and she wishes she can have one. My dad too! It is so cute :D But the truth is :( The later you have them the higher risk you are. I am 28 and already got asked to get the nuchal trans done O,o ... I did feel kinda old eventhough I know I am not and I feel so young. But wow what a kick in my ass

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->