Oversupply

LittleNugget

DD and expecting #2
Reaction score
I just pumped 12 oz in 15 minutes. :shock: My DD is 4 months old. I have to pump in the morning because LO sleeps through the night (at least 9-10 hours) and I wake up very uncomfortable. Will my supply ever regulate to make it through the night? I've also built up quite a freezer stash as we hardly ever give DD a bottle but I've been pumping every morning for the past 3 months. Is there some sort of donation bank I could give it to? Thanks.

Wow, go you! hehe. You're probably aware but the thing about pumping is it is telling your body to make more than your baby requires, if you want your supply to catch up with your baby's needs then the best way is to stop pumping. But if it's uncomfortable you don't have to stop suddenly, if you pump out a bit less each morning you supply should slowly decrease. You need to think whatever you take out you will make again. Our bodies are clever :)
If you want to keep pumping and donate though there are lots of wonderful options there too! Are you in the UK? There are official milk banks in the UK that give to premature babies in NICU, this is the main organisation: https://www.ukamb.org/
Also look for Human Milk 4 Human Babies on FB, which is a more informal place for milk sharing, an amazing community. There are specific FB pages for different countries so find your one as well as the international one :)
I'm going to start donating tooo. Good luck! X

OMG 12 ounces! I was in a simliar situation and built up my supply by pumping 8-9 ounces around 4am as I just couldn't take it when my daughter started sleeping through the night. I started to decrease it by just pumping about half for a week or two. I would pump five ounces and stop. I still felt a little full but wasn't in pain. Eventually I just cut out the pumping completely. My daughter was never good at stopping when full so I did have to stop her for a week or two after cutting out the pumping to prevent her from eating, and puking all of the milk. Good luck!

Yes! I suspect my DD is not stopping when full either. She eats for 30 minutes and I always have to unlatch her. She won't unlatch on her own. Then she spits up a ton. If I start cutting her off sooner, will this help my oversupply problem and the spitting up? I'd hate to deprive her of needed nutrition if she's just a slow eater...

I hear ya my daughter will eat till she spits up sometimes

Yes! I suspect my DD is not stopping when full either. She eats for 30 minutes and I always have to unlatch her. She won't unlatch on her own. Then she spits up a ton. If I start cutting her off sooner, will this help my oversupply problem and the spitting up? I'd hate to deprive her of needed nutrition if she's just a slow eater...

Yes it will help. I would stop my daughter after about half on each side, then occupy her for a few minutes to make sure she calmed down and was full. Sorry for the late reply!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->