Overweight and pregnant? (really not meant to be offensive!)

S

Serene123

If this is in the wrong section feel free to move it mods xx

This isn't meant as an offensive thread, I'm overweight now, I'm just wondering what being overweight can cause? I heard about an injection after birth? Are there any complications it can cause aswell?

i was over weight when i fell pregnant with Riley, and i'm still overweight now, but it didnt cause any problems during the pregnancy & it hasnt caused any so far since..

Hey hun I read somethin in a book in Whsmith today about this, and apparently you can still have a normal pregnancy, it just increses your risk of gestational diabetes and also makes it harder for scans. e.g more fat to see past and also makes it difficult if you need a cesarean. Also have to be careful with your blood pressure.
Hope that helps!
Im overweight myself and trying to lose weight before properly TTC but im not worrying if we catch whilst NTNP as its not life threatening!
Its just "advised" not to be obese whilst pregnant. xx

I was bmi 42 with my last pregnancy. It just meant i had to have extra scans for dating and and checking the baby was growing right. I was warned that i wouldnt be allowed to have a homebirth incase of risks and that i might get gestational diabetes.

Pregnancy went well, only problem i had was extra water surronding baby at the end. No other issues.

as you no toria i'm over weight, and was when i was pregnant, unfortunately i've always been like this, maddi didn't have anything to do with it :lol:(though don't tell anyone that!) and yep it can put you at higher risk, but tbh hon, we're talking about really overweight, like moi, toria i've met you and you are not overweight sweetie, i no you may be bigger than before you had caitlyn, but i'm more than sure it certainly wouldn't affect your pregnancy :hugs:

the injection you refer to i believe is celexane (sp) i had to have it after maddi, but it was the fact i was less mobile, to prevent dvt's, as i'd had a c-section, and i don't believe its that often used after a normal straight forward birth (u no maddi was an awkward one :rofl:) and plus - your not over weight!! :hugs:xxx

as you no toria i'm over weight, and was when i was pregnant, unfortunately i've always been like this, maddi didn't have anything to do with it :lol:(though don't tell anyone that!) and yep it can put you at higher risk, but tbh hon, we're talking about really overweight, like moi, toria i've met you and you are not overweight sweetie, i no you may be bigger than before you had caitlyn, but i'm more than sure it certainly wouldn't affect your pregnancy :hugs:

the injection you refer to i believe is celexane (sp) i had to have it after maddi, but it was the fact i was less mobile, to prevent dvt's, as i'd had a c-section, and i don't believe its that often used after a normal straight forward birth (u no maddi was an awkward one :rofl:) and plus - your not over weight!! :hugs:xxx

Carly you're so sweet! I am over weight though, I've lost 6lb this week and you can't even tell because I'm so big :dohh: I guess I will diet whilst we're NTNP, and then TTC, and then when I'm pregnant and see how things go.

I am such a worrier!!!

Toria I've seen you and your a lovely size. You know my size and my pregnancy with Lily was great- great labour too. Hopefully this one will go as well too :)

Toria I've seen you and your a lovely size. You know my size and my pregnancy with Lily was great- great labour too. Hopefully this one will go as well too :)

Thank you!

I have no idea why but I get something in my head and suddenly get so anxious about it and it just won't go away untill I've let it all out to you girls to make me sane again :lol:

I am obese with both my pregnancys but alot more so with Rosie, had to see the consultant a few times and he advised me to have a vaginal birth cos of the risks involved with section cos of my BMI and I had to have a glucose tollerace test which came back fine! Your more at risk of gestational diabetes and pre-aclampsia if overweight and pregnant, I never had any probs during my pregnancy to do with my weight, just normal pregnancy things lol. I managed a fairly straight forward birth second time :) but still had to inject myself with blood thinning tinzaparin twice a day for 6 weeks after birth to prevent clots... and i did when i had a section too.
I was so scared about any probs arising when I was pregnant but everything went perfect, in fact had an easier pregnancy second time around when I was bigger
xx

Carly you're so sweet! I am over weight though, I've lost 6lb this week and you can't even tell because I'm so big :dohh: I guess I will diet whilst we're NTNP, and then TTC, and then when I'm pregnant and see how things go.

I am such a worrier!!!

well done you! ive lost over 22lb's and it doesn't notice cos of my stupid belly! you're gorgeous and lovely, just as you are :hugs::hugs:

and i agree with emily - we're the same size - she had a fine labour and mine was difficult - nothing to do with our size - just one of though's things toria.

course you worry, you're bound to worry - and i think if you want to lose a little weight then thats up to you - don't think you need to though - but do what your happy with and im sure your'll perfect for ttc no 2 :D

:hugs: xx

If your bmi is over 34 you have to have the injections but remember hun the avarage dress size for the uk is a size 14-16 and they have their babys ok

Hey hun I read somethin in a book in Whsmith today about this, and apparently you can still have a normal pregnancy, it just increses your risk of gestational diabetes and also makes it harder for scans. e.g more fat to see past and also makes it difficult if you need a cesarean. Also have to be careful with your blood pressure.
Hope that helps!
Im overweight myself and trying to lose weight before properly TTC but im not worrying if we catch whilst NTNP as its not life threatening!
Its just "advised" not to be obese whilst pregnant. xx

Ditto to this...

Not sure what you weigh... but there are a few simple things that can help drop pounds. Cutting out junk food, drinking lots of water, eating brwn bread, healthy cereals etc... It can be hard, and I dont think you should worry a whole lot about your weight if your getting pregnant... But a few pounds here and there with a healthy diet and some light excersize (walking, swimming etc) never hurts.

hey hun i was very overweight when preg, i was 15 stone when i got preg by end of preg i had gained loads!!!!!!!! i didnt have any problems although i was at higher risk of gestational diabetes and did show signs of it and im having to go for sugar blood test next week to make sure everything is normal as i have kept putting it off.

hun you look great in any pics i have seen of you i really dont think that your weight would be an issue like carly said its when you ae very overweight it can cause added problems and even then its usually just extra precautions

Lou
xxx

I am glad you posted this, well I always hone in on posts like this as I am really overweight and worried about it. It's good to know people have had fairly straightforward pregnancies and births being overweight. I am sure the more you lose weight and exercise and stuff the more it helps, I am certainly wanting to do my best and see what happens, but know that I will still be quite overweight so it gives me some hope that I might be ok when I am preggers! x

I was overweight when I was pregnant, but during my pregnancy I ate a healthy diet (one I normally wasn't eating) and I didn't gain any weight, which was fine with the doctors and I had a perfectly healthy little girl. I did have gallstones, but I really think it was genetic not my weight, because my mom had them when she was pregnant with me at the same age.

Im overweight and TTC at the moment, but im also trying to walk for 30mins every day and cut down a bit of the junk etc. So my plan if i did get pregnant would just be to carry on walking and a bit of yoga etc, so i dont gain weight, just lose a bit of my own and replace it with baby :D Its like smoking though, a close mate smokes quite heavily but as soon as she gets pregant (she's had 4) she stops instantly and changes completely because she knows she's doing it for her child, im hoping i will be the same.

Im overweight and TTC at the moment, but im also trying to walk for 30mins every day and cut down a bit of the junk etc. So my plan if i did get pregnant would just be to carry on walking and a bit of yoga etc, so i dont gain weight, just lose a bit of my own and replace it with baby :D Its like smoking though, a close mate smokes quite heavily but as soon as she gets pregant (she's had 4) she stops instantly and changes completely because she knows she's doing it for her child, im hoping i will be the same.

I'm on a diet now. I've lost 7lb all together, but I have loads to go. :dohh: Think I'll just continue what I'm doing, might take me months to conceive I guess! Que sara, sara :)

I'm overweight my BMi is about 38 and i weighed about 15 stone/210lbs (pre-pregnancy)

we had difficulty conceiving which wasn't actually down to my weight although i was desperately trying to loose it. i discovered early on in the pregnancy that my real issue was my thyroid which was not only preventing my weightloss but also screwing with my cycles. i only had 6 :witch: in 12 months and was on referral with a FS.

when we got pregnant to change in my metabolism meant i actually lost weight (for the first time in years of trying) up until the last two weeks i'd lost and managed to keep off 11lbs but since 15 weeks i've only gained back 2.5lbs.

i must admit in comparison to my slimmer friends i've had an easy it of of pregnancy so far, as i'm used to carrying the extra weight (albeit the weight is a little different - baby not fat :rofl:) i can't comment on the birth side of things as this is our first but i can't see how it would be any different.

just to add i have a glucose tolerance test at 28 weeks, and i'm also rhesus negative so i will be having anti-d injections too.

My BMI was 37 when I found out I was pregnant. I had a fairly straight forward pregnancy, just suffered with sickness al the way through and had high blood pressure towards the end. I didnt have to have any extra scans, tests or consultant appointments and I had an easy birth with him. Didnt have any injections either

I gained 5 stones when pregnant and I honestly think that added to my complications at the end being induced and everything!!

I will NEVER ever gain that much weight again and I would also like to lose more weight before I become pregnant again!! I dont ever want to be that uncomfortable again :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->