Owen David

Winafred

Reaction score
actually arrived on due date of 25th of January. My wee man really is a wee man. He's just about 47 centimeters (18 inches) and weighed 5 lbs and 11 ounces. He is full term. We were asked to participate in a study of full term infants who are so small. Apparently he is among the smallest 2% of full term babies in the UK. Anyway here is my story:

Let me start by saying by the time this was all over with I had been up for over 40 hours. I woke up at 8 a.m. on Saturday, took a 1 hour nap in late afternoon and then tried to go to bed at 10 p.m. I couldn't sleep so I got up and tried bed again at 12:30, less than an hour later I had my first contraction. I immediately got up and started timing them.

We went to the hospital at about 11 a.m. and after all that labour I was only 2 centimeters dilated. I cried. Seriously, I wanted to be at least three. Well, in less than 2 hours I dilated a further 4 centimeters. The contractions got really intense really fast and I wanted pain relief. Air/Gas made me want to throw up, so I was going to have an epidural. Well, apparently I'm one of the 5% that epdiurals don't work on. Lovely! So a consultant came in to re-site the epidural and in the meantime he gave me a temporary spinal block. That was so lovely. Instant relief. Then he took about 45 minutes trying to re-site the epidural when all he needed to do is follow the same path the spinal block went and that had originally only taken him 3 minutes at most.

I looked at my husband, Kevin, who was starving and told him to get something to eat. At that exact moment, all hell broke loose. The baby was on a fetal monitor and the on-call OB was watching it intently. About 4 or 5 new faces were in the room at once and next thing I hear is 'We need to get this baby out NOW!'. He went into fetal distress and I had to have an emergency c-section. We didn't know what was going on, except I was being rushed into a theatre and my husband was being told to stay put someone would come and get him. I had to be put completely under as there was not time to do a full spinal block on me. The last thing I heard before I went under was from a lovely nurse. She just said 'Don't worry hun, his heartbeat is strong and he's going to be just fine.'

They had Owen out and told my hubby everything was fine within 15 minutes of me entering the operating theatre. That group of medical staff was AWESOME!!

The midwife who was assigned to me, drove me nuts. She was trying to be nice but as the same time was condescedning and aggressive. She kept repeating everything 3-4 times, like we were to stupid to get it the first time. I told her to shut up and Kevin thought I was going to kick her out of the room. I probably would have if labour had progressed normally.

Anyway, Owen is healthy and hearty if a bit small. Here's a 1 day picture of him.

https://img141.imageshack.us/img141/3869/owen1dayoldgc0.jpg

awww hes so cute hun, i see ur from kilmarnock, only up the by pass from me hehe, just wondered where u gave birth? Was it ayrshire maternity unit? if so was the experience good and clean etc? ive never been and this is my first :)

what a cutie! congratulations! x x

congrats , hes beautiful xx

how cute is he, i had a 5lber term, they so dinky and teeny, hope mum n baby doing well xxx

What a sweetie....I keep saying Erin looks like a dolly coz she's only ickle but your fella is about a pound less, bless him:baby:

Congratulations, hope you're recovering well:hug:

Oh he is adorable!
Congratulations!
-x-

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79