• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Packing for the hospital but attempting a home birth?

BrandiCanucks

Mommy of 4, WTT
Reaction score
For those who planned a home birth, did you still pack a hospital bag just in case you needed to be transfer, and if so, what did you put in it? The same things as what you'd pack for a hospital birth?

A bit less - as I didn't pack any of my labour comforters.
I ended up with an emcs so didn't end up using half of what I packed.

I packed a bag with just a few absolute essentials that I knew I wouldn't have readily available while I was giving birth, like breast pads, maternity pads, a comfortable change of clothes, some soap and toothbrush/toothpaste, and nappies, baby clothes, etc. I also put together a birth box with everything I planned to use during my home birth, like snacks, candles, essential oils, TENS machine, towels, blankets, my hypnotherapy CD, 1 nappy and vest for baby to go into after birth, etc. so I'd have all these to hand when I needed them. I didn't need things like breast pads or maternity pads right next to me while I was giving birth, nor a change of clothes, so I didn't want all those typical hospital bag extras in the way. So for me, packing my birth box and then a separate 'just in case' bag was really reassuring. I packed the hospital bag probably around 32 weeks and just put it away somewhere so I didn't have to look at it or think about whether I needed it. Some people don't like to pack anything, but for me, it was important that if I needed to transfer, that the transfer process was a quiet, calm and stress-free as possible - and that meant I didn't want to be shouting at my husband to grab this thing or that thing and put it in a bag. I liked knowing the basics I needed were stored away and someone could just grab the bag and go if we needed to without me stressing about anything I might have forgotten. I had a lovely home birth and didn't need the bag, but it was nice to know it was there just in case. I plan to have another home birth next time and I'll do the same again.

I have a transfer bag packed in case, and its stuffed in the bottom of the wardrobe.
It just has a few clothes for baby. Maternity pads for me, comfy undies (couldn't trust hubby to get the right ones at the last minute, lol), pj's, slippers, clothes to come home in, and toiletries. It all fits in one medium duffel bag.

As pp said, I fully intend to have a home birth (my second one), but I don't like the idea of having to run around packing stuff while trying to get my head around a transfer if it's necessary.

I packed it at around 38 weeks.

I'm a way off yet but I'm hoping for a home birth but I will pack a hospital bag with essentials in just encase. If I needed a transfer if like it to be as easy as poss so a packed bag will help with that. Xx

As i was tidying and sorting i did my hosp bag with same usual stuff as my 2 hosp births, i do hope i dont need it but happy its done amd put aside no way on this earth i could of instructed hubby what to do haha.

I'm hopefully not far off my home birth and I have a bag packed too, again just the bare essentials like baby clothes, nappy stuff, toiletries/maternity and breast pads and clothes/pjs for me. If a transfer situation happened then it would be there but also I've been told by my midwife and other home birthers that having the 'essentials' bag close to hand is really useful because for example nappies/mat pads/hats are all right there and OH knows where to find them (we made sure to pack the bag together) :)

All I have is a diaper bag packed now with a few outfits, diapers, pads, a blanket, diaper cream, and breast pads. I suppose I should temporarily put a little more in?

I'm planning on storing my portable homebirth supplies in a duffle bag anyway so if I did need to go to hospital, I'd already have it ready to go. My clothes, towel, massage things, baby stuff etc will go in there. I might pack some travel toiletries and spare undies and stuff in my handbag just in case.

Then put other things like fish net, bowls, raggy towels etc in a box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->