Pain relief question

Lovemybump1

Reaction score
What pain relief is available during labour. I am aware of the main ones, but wondering whether there is something between gas and air and an epidural, but not pethidine. I've been reading up on pethidine and not too keen on the side effects. Don't want an epi, but going to see how things go. Thanks x

I had diamorphine during labour. I'm not sure if thats any different to pethidine though. I think i heard someone at the baby group i take my toddler to that she had co-codamol as she didn't want anything too strong. x

Some places still have diamorphine but that is similar to pethadine. There is paracetamol and codeine in early labour. Otherwise your options are things like water and tens machines and massage ect. I'm not aware of any other drugs

Sterile water injections (I know used for back labour, not sure about regular).

I had paracetamol, then offered co-codamol in the early stages then had gas and air.
They did offer pethadine but I refused it as it makes baby drowsy too....

Some hospitals also use meptid which is a milder injection and doesn't make baby drowsy x

I don't want an epidural either but don't deal brilliantly with pain so am going to ask my midwife on Tuesday for full information on all other pain relief that will be available, I want to be prepared so I know what to ask for if I need it. I don't even want to be offered an epidural just in case I cave in pain. I really don't want one x

Thank you for your replies. The pethidine worries me about how I would react and also how baby would react. Don't want an epi either because I want to be mobile throughout and want best recovery possible. It could all change, though!!

I found hot shower water to be just as useful as morphine (two different labours). Actually I would say it was even better, as I was still 'aware' iykwim?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->