Pain when feeding

Noo

Mum to 2 boys xx
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced pain when BF? I know that it is normal to have a bit of toe curling pain upon initial latch for a few minutes but on one breast it can last for 10 minutes until my let-down happens. I've checked baby's mouth and he doesn't appear to have thrush, my breasts aren't particularly engorged, red or hot and are pretty much emptied and squishy after feeds and my nipples aren't chapped. Does my baby just have a particularly strong suck... It doesn't make BF very discreet when I'm stamping my foot going "F*ck, f*ck, f*ck" :haha: My midwife has had a look at my breasts and his mouth and can't seem to see any issues - I just hope it goes away!

That doesn't sound right all, it shouldn't hurt to feed. You said your MW has checked your breast & LO mouth - did she watch to see how the baby is latched? It seems like there may be a latching issue. Might be worth speaking to a different MF or a lactation consultant if you have one in your area. I found speaking to different people, they all had slightly different views and gave different advice so it might help to speak to another person.

In the meantime, if you haven't already got some, I recommend Lansinoh, it really helps with sore nipples.

Hope you can get this sorted x

There is no latching issues - He latches well. My nipples aren't damaged - I think it is more pain when the milk is drawn through them rather than a chafing issue. I slather lansinoh on before a feed, after a feed and then if he doesn't feed for at least 2 hours I stick it on again. The first couple of days we had latching issues but both myself and the midwife (I'm also a midwife!) are happy with the latch in cross cradle, cradle and football hold though laying down can be a bit dodgy as I have big boobs so get a bit lazy so I try to avoid that. The pain is in one breast in particular (the other just knacks upon initial latch and for about 20 seconds afterwards) but it is the same breast that practically chokes him with let down so I'm not sure if that is related or not. Some days I don't particularly feel it at all, other days its constant. It's weird!

The midwife is coming again tomorrow though think she'll be signing me off to the HV so will see what she says.

It does sound like you've tried most avenues! Hope the MW is able to offer some more help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->