Painful abdominal cramps - Mirena coil?

Jayneypops

Mum to 2 Fairy Princesses
Reaction score
I had the Mirena coil fitted about 5 months ago, and for the first 12 weeks I bled off and on and had the usual period like cramps. Now however, I have a lot of mucus-like clear discharge and have been having occasional sharp cramps throughout the day. They are worse when I have a full bladder. I suppose I would liken them to very early labour pains (when you're not sure if they are real or braxton hicks!)

Is this normal is anyone else's experience or should I worry that maybe it's moved/pushing on something?? Im so worried.

I have no real experience- sorry hun. I just got mine fitted a couple months back, so it's new. But I'd think it should be fine at 5mos? If you are concerned, it can't hurt to get it checked- my friend thought her's was infected at one point, but it was just a bacterial infection and cleared up with meds (nothing wrong with her IUD). So it can't hurt to at least get that reassurance :hugs:

Maybe this is dumb to ask- but could you be ovulating? I used to get sharp pains on/off the day I ovulated- the fine the next day... not always though (the mucus your describing was also common for me around that time of the month)-- I could go months with NO pains- then suddenly it's like a sharp pain on either my right or left side. Sorry if that' silly to ask- but when I was younger I had no clue that's what it was. I also get similar pains when I have cycts- but once they burst it doesn't hurt any more. Just some thoughts.

I would go to the Doctors. I think rather than the mirena coil itself, it could just be a bacterial infection/pelvic infection but that pain doesn't sound good and definitely best to get it checked out.

Have you been able to feel for the strings of it to check it is still in the right place?x

I had Mirena put in after I had my son in 2010, and I had it removed in 2013 when we started TTC #2. I cramped horribly the day I got it, but after that, I had no problems. I spotted for a few days, and then no periods for 3 years (which was awesome lol!) I'm sorry you're having some problems with it--I would definitely ask your doc, just to make sure everything looks okay. Good luck!!

Thanks for the replies. Well the day after I posted, I got my period (well Im guessing its a period I never know anymore as I bleed so irregularly!) have been 'on' for a few days and its just as heavy as before the Mirena. I had expected them to be lighter or stop completely but looks like I'm one of the ladies it doesn't do that for :-( boo!

No pain now though so was possibly just pre-period pains? Ill go to docs anyway to see

Good luck! I hope it all goes well at the check up. I'm glad you're at least not in pain anymore!

I would get seen if you're worried. The clinic that put my mirena in were helpful over the phone when I couldn't find the strings. (They had hidden them selves due to cervical position and I found them again another day :) )

Obvs every woman has a different experience on these things but my experience is that it has all but removed the horrible pain and heavy bleeding (which is why I had it) - every so often though I will get cramping, and a small bleed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->