painful braxton hicks at 31 weeks?

sjtttc

new mum!
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm 31 weeks today. I've been having the usual tightenings which haven't been painful. Yesterday I was walking home from work for lunch..and its literally a 3 minute walk, when I almost had to stop as I got a very painful bh I presume. My whole tummy, from top to bottom..went really tight and was very painful. It caught me by surprise. And today...I was doing the food shop and walking round the supermarket, and I got painful bh agaib...everytine I walked for more than a few seconds. Since I've been home, I see a pattern forming....they only seem to come when I'm on my feet. is this normal? X

I find when I walk they get worse and my tummy goes hard and its like period cramps, they are not nice! Do they settle down when you change position? As long as they arent coming closer and getting stronger I wouldnt worry, its your body preparing for labour and birth :hugs: Try a nice warm bath to soothe them x

Yep- normal! And it sucks! Takes my breath away and mine are quite painful as well. I wish my body would know I'm having a c-section - and this is my 4th baby - I don't need preparing! LOL

I have had this, its definitely from being overly active. Are you drinking enough water? I ended up in the hospital last weekend with painful BH's and spotting, it was due to severe dehydration(totally my own fault) and they pretty much told me to take it easy and drink LOTS of water( I am drinking over 100 ounces a day), I have not had any more BH's since.

I find when I walk they get worse and my tummy goes hard and its like period cramps, they are not nice! Do they settle down when you change position? As long as they arent coming closer and getting stronger I wouldnt worry, its your body preparing for labour and birth :hugs: Try a nice warm bath to soothe them x

I wouldn't say they are getting any stronger. They only disappear wen I'm not doing anything. Just had a bath and all it took was for me to walk upstairs and into bathroom and I could feel it building up although it wasn't painful this time.

I have had this, its definitely from being overly active. Are you drinking enough water? I ended up in the hospital last weekend with painful BH's and spotting, it was due to severe dehydration(totally my own fault) and they pretty much told me to take it easy and drink LOTS of water( I am drinking over 100 ounces a day), I have not had any more BH's since.

I do drink enough...I think! I have to take tablets 6 tablets a day for iron x2 and high bp x4 so drink lots then too.

I wouldn't say they are getting any stronger. They only disappear wen I'm not doing anything. Just had a bath and all it took was for me to walk upstairs and into bathroom and I could feel it building up although it wasn't painful this time.

I do drink enough...I think! I have to take tablets 6 tablets a day for iron x2 and high bp x4 so drink lots then too.

My Dr told me to drink as much water as I thought was acceptable and then drink some more!! :haha: She said during pregnancy your body needs a lot more water and with warmer tempuratures(where I live) it is so easy to get dehydrated. Although, in my case I barely drank ANYTHING the day before I went into the hospital, I was so dehydrated they couldnt even get pee out with a catheter!! Ouch :( I have no excuse for not drinking water, other than it was my baby shower day and I just forgot :blush:

The exact same thing has been happening to me, I've been getting painful bh mainly when I'm on my feet and walking (and I
I've been going on usual walks for a long time so i ruled out my abs getting a workout) and it would get so painful and tight that i would have to stop. Last night it happened to me on a very short walk to go get some snacks from the gas station (I'm very determined when i have cravings lol) and my fiance had to actually help me walk. It gets pretty scary, but I've found that having something to eat and drink helps it out a lot, even though I drink water like a madman, so its not always dehydration. I've noticed that sometimes, the contractions don't come on and off like they used to for me, it just stays very tight for almost up to ten to fifteen minutes depending on what I'm doing. So I definitely feel your pain there.

Thank you all for your comments. Makes me feel better about it all knowing it's part of the norm. I see midwife weekly anyway so can always mention to her if I have any concerns. Thanks again. Xx

Totally normal, and I agree, lots of water. I think I drink about 10 glasses per day.

my ob said to lie down on my left side and drink about a liter of water:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->