Parental Leave from work (disabled child)

Marleysgirl

Mum to a SCBU Warrior!
Reaction score
Had a bit of a showdown at work today.

I work for a very large employer (35,000+ employees) and their family policies are generally very good. As I've been there a year, I am now entitled to unpaid Parental Leave and thought I would try to book some.

The rules are different for PL if you have a disabled child - you get 18wks (as opposed to 13wks), you can take it until they're 18 years old (as opposed to 5y), and you can take individual days (as opposed to complete weeks). This is information I've checked on the direct.gov website before applying ...

First they told me that I'd have to take a complete week.

Er, no, I am entitled to take individual days.

Then they said that if I took an individual day, I would still lose a week's entitlement.

Er, no, I am entitled to take individual days.

This went back and forth until I printed out the details from the direct.gov website and put it under a senior manager's nose.

They then reluctantly agreed I could take a single day ... but had to get a dig in about how this leave had to last until A is 18 years old. As if I didn't already know that, seeing as I know far more about the government's scheme than they do.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

The irony is that this team is called the "Family Friendly" section of HR. You'd think they would (a) handle this a little more sensitively and (b) know the rules.

I despair :shrug: I wonder how many of my colleagues have tried to put in for PL and been rejected wrongly? :shrug:

Anybody else come across similar ignorance when it comes to rights?

i wish i had known about the governments policy when i was working.

i used to have alot of time off with my son with hospital admissions and so on. it was company policy that i could have 26 weeks unpaid leave when he was ill up until he was five years old. work never moaned as i did not take advantage of it. shortly after he turned 6 he was admitted into hospital and ended up there for 2 weeks, i was sacked!

realised for me its easier not to work anymore :(

Hi, I've experienced this. I was told by my senior managers that if my daughters hospital appointments fall on a work day (I'm part time) I would have to work another day to make up for it or use annual leave!

I called hr who weren't aware of how parental leave changes when you have a disabled child so I made them look on the Internet whilst I was on the phone. They have told me to request parental leave and if I have problems with my senior managers to refer them to hr.

That's all well and good but we have enough stress in our lives we don't need to fight for time off for hospital appointments!

Xx

its good to know for when i do think i can return to work. unfortunately my sons condition has been unstable for almost 3 years now and he needs me at home. i hate not being able to work, only because of the stigma attached to people not working. society just gets it wrong sometimes!

i have even been turned down for employment because i am seen as unreliable as i have a disabled child. its sickening!

I called hr who weren't aware of how parental leave changes when you have a disabled child so I made them look on the Internet whilst I was on the phone. They have told me to request parental leave and if I have problems with my senior managers to refer them to hr.

The irony is that I work in HR, as do the team that were trying to stand by an incorrect version of the rules!

I have a feeling that as Andrew gets older, I will slowly become an expert in the rights of the disabled child & his/her family :winkwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->