Parenting the 'hardest job in the world'?

Massively doubt it'll be the hardest job in the world.

My current job is on my mind 24/7, I check my blackberry, iPhone and emails at 2/3/4/5am if I wake up and I can easily work 60/80 hours a week including weekends! (I.e in the office) I probably actually do upwards of 100 hours!

I'm quite looking forward to that job taking a back seat to my newborn, and I'm definitely convince she will not be as demanding as the UK's major retailers who are my customers!!

Completely agree!

Still working now and looking forward to baby arriving so I can have a rest. I work constantly, my job is high pressure, we own a company with employees so I have to worry about them and all our moaning clients who never give me a moments peace. I joke that I will go into labour and then have a massive panic attack because I haven't paid the wages and people depend on me!

Can 100% say my life was much easier when my other two children were young and I spent summery days in the park and playing with shaving foam and coloured rice in the garden! Really looking forward to all that again and will try my hardest to take time off work to do it.

I think I'm going to have to disagree with most posters. I don't know about hardest job in the world, but it's definitely the hardest job I've ever done and I only have one right now. For me, it's the fact that you NEVER get breaks. There are no weekends off, or holidays, or even sleep-ins (unless you have a hubby who's willing to be up with the kids for you). I think part of what makes it so hard, is the emotional part of it. I just end most of my days feeling emotionally drained. Having a baby keep you up at night, and then hang on your legs all day whining, and then refuse to eat, can get really frustrating, and then add sickness or temper tantrums on top of that, and it can become overwhelming. There are days I really wish I could go back to work and leave my child with a babysitter.

That being said, it is also the most rewarding job I've even done. Having your little one grin at you from across the room and shout, "Momma!" as though they haven't seen you in ages, or hearing their first little words, or seeing how excited and proud they get when they learn something new, all those things are irreplaceable. They make the hard times worth it. :flower:

I agree with you, Spiffy. I think it probably also depends on the temperament of your child.

I wouldn't say it's the hardest job in the world. It is different to any job you could ever do. Firstly, no matter how much you love your job, NOTHING will ever, ever compare with being a parent. It's more fulfilling than anything you've ever done. After a sleepless night you get up feeling more tired than you ever felt possible like you're ready to fall into a coma and sleep for ten years and one smile or 'coo' from your baby and your on top of the world

It can be hard though as most of what you do, goes unnoticed and you never get thanked. There is no room for selfishness. You have to continually give up you own wants/needs/desires for the sake of your child. It can be very lonely and isolating at times. There are days were all you've done is change nappies, appeased tantrums, done dishes and folded washing and you think 'have I actually done anything useful today??'

I remember when pregnant with DS I thought I would be the absolute domestic goddess. DH would come home to a spotless house, beautiful cooked meal, me with my hair and make up perfect back in my pre-pregnancy clothes, baby sleeping calmly in his cot. Then I had a baby and snapped into reality :rofl:

So is it the hardest job in the world? Yes and no.

Parenting is very hard work, it's the hardest job you will have because everything you do has an effect on the people who will be with you for the rest of your life... It's stressful. The most challenging part is that it will become your whole life, with a regular 8 hour stressful job you can leave all the stress at the door when you get home. It is really hard for some people to get down time when a full time mom. A lot of times with bed sharing and illness you will have times that you think... Will I ever be alone again? It gets tiring! My solution? Plan a lot of time to yourself. Get a sitter once a month, go on date night, I don't bed share, I have mommy time. I am much happier now that I have time for me.

I have no experience parenting as yet (still waiting, 3 days overdue now) but I'm not sure about it being the hardest job in the world, it certainly is the most responsible though & I hope that our daughter will be a pleasure to parent if we put the hard yards in and make her a responsible & considerate person.

I don't think of it as a job, just a life choice... and by God sometimes that choice comes with hard days and long nights that I never imagined. But I don't think any job can give back the rewards that parenting does, because they're priceless :)

My first was harder than any other job, sorry!! It really was! I worked as a 911 operator for 8 years, I've dealt with suicides/stabbings/shootings whatever you name it, 12 hours straight/6 nights working 911 in a city of 1 million??? Easy compared to colic. My OH is a police officer with 10 years experience. He would agree with me!!! :)

My 2nd baby, not at all, he is a breeze. But my 1st was an absolute trial of patience and will. He had so many health problems, vomited up to 50oz a day, cried 20 hours/24, I was a zombie beyond belief. I went back to work at 10 weeks because I needed a break.

But it can't compare to a "JOB". A "JOB" is paid, a job has hours (ie. it has OFF hours, even if you are on call). It's just not the same thing. There is no escape from colic.

I think maybe I would use "demanding" over hardest, but even than it depends on what sense it's meant in.

Physically? Maybe not so much. I'm pretty sure the average construction job is harder than parenting when it comes to the physical.

Mentally? Possibly, though from observation (speaking as a FTM with next to know personal experience), a lot of parenting comes down to common sense. And you don't need a college degree to do it, like some jobs.

Emotionally? That one I might agree with, but even then I'm sure there's occupations out there that take their toll, just in a way that's different from the ups and downs of raising a child.

Also... totally agree with aliss ^. Parenting's not a "job"... and honestly, if that's how you're going into this kind of adventure, you might be in for a rude awakening.

I wouldn't say it's particularly strenuous or mentally difficult (like final week in college), but it can definitely be challenging and frustrating. And the thing is, if you're a stay at home mom, your job really never stops. You're doing it all the time, listening to it, smelling it, cleaning it, ALL day. It helps to have parents or friends that want to take the baby, but my son's only been away from me for two nights since he was born. I'm a SAHM and a full time college student (currently online, but will be half-on campus next semester) and it's incredibly difficult trying to manage schoolwork and schedules with a little boy that works directly against my schedule somehow. It's definitely rewarding, and will be totally worth it, but there are VERY challenging parts.

With all due respect, I just have to chuckle at those who have one or two babies/toddlers, and even those whose babies aren't born yet, who doubt the physical and mental nature of parenting.

Sure, a construction job may be more physically demanding than being a mom, but for the most part, those who work construction are physically conditioned to doing that job. Oftentimes moms are expected to do things that they aren't physically conditioned for doing - like carrying a dead-weight sleeping 4-y/o from the car to bed after arriving home late into the evening. Carrying a diaper bag, carrier with baby, and 4 bags of groceries into the car at the same time because baby is screaming and the food will thaw if not put into the freezer right away. Carrying two young kids to the car, both kicking and screaming because they refuse to leave the park gracefully.

And how about the actual pregnancy and childbirth itself? You think many construction workers would trade their job for that? :winkwink:

Furthermore, the amount of multitasking that we moms are expected to do, especially as our children become older and/or more numerous is truly outside the scope of most professions I'm aware of. I mean, how many people at work have to try to console a crying baby, stir the dinner, answer a toddler's incessant "whys," respond to hubby's text message, and set the table all at the same time?

And how many construction workers are expected to do their jobs in chronic sleep-deprivation mode? Most of us moms spend a good chunk of years operating in this state, especially if we have multiple children.

As far as mentally, yes college final week is definitely mentally taxing (I've been there), but at least it's temporary. It doesn't hold a candle to having to explain the mysteries of the universe to a curious 4-year-old, helping a 16-year-old with their high school algebra when it's been nearly two decades since you had to use any of that stuff, and trying to convince your 10-year-old daughter that her best friend doesn't hate her just because she talked to a different girl at school that day. The mental taxation of parenting starts when they are born and you are trying to interpret each little fuss and doesn't end even when they graduate from high school and you're trying to help them plan their futures.

You'll see. For those of you who are just starting on this journey... you've only just begun to learn how this amazing and rewarding "job" called parenthood will test everything that is in you... for better or worse. :flower:

My first was harder than any other job, sorry!! It really was! I worked as a 911 operator for 8 years, I've dealt with suicides/stabbings/shootings whatever you name it, 12 hours straight/6 nights working 911 in a city of 1 million??? Easy compared to colic. My OH is a police officer with 10 years experience. He would agree with me!!! :)

My 2nd baby, not at all, he is a breeze. But my 1st was an absolute trial of patience and will. He had so many health problems, vomited up to 50oz a day, cried 20 hours/24, I was a zombie beyond belief. I went back to work at 10 weeks because I needed a break.

But it can't compare to a "JOB". A "JOB" is paid, a job has hours (ie. it has OFF hours, even if you are on call). It's just not the same thing. There is no escape from colic.

I definitely have to agree with this when it comes to the first being the hardest. My first baby was lots of trial and error. I was a young mom and was completely on my own...no friends or family to help. I struggled with PPD for 4 years as well after having him. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to go through in my life. Whether someone wants to change the title from job to life choice or what ever title you choose to call it, what it all comes down to is its a responsibility that is endless. And each stage of a child's life is different. My son is now going into his teens and that raises whole new issues then taking care of a baby or toddler.

My second baby was was so much more easier!!! It was easier because by then I knew what I was doing and I also didn't go through PPD like I did with my first which of course makes a world of difference.

Emotional state, your level of patience and consistency all play an enormous roll on how hard you will find parenting. It's different for everyone because no child is the same and everyone's experience is different.

With all due respect, I just have to chuckle at those who have one or two babies/toddlers, and even those whose babies aren't born yet, who doubt the physical and mental nature of parenting.

Sure, a construction job may be more physically demanding than being a mom, but for the most part, those who work construction are physically conditioned to doing that job. Oftentimes moms are expected to do things that they aren't physically conditioned for doing - like carrying a dead-weight sleeping 4-y/o from the car to bed after arriving home late into the evening. Carrying a diaper bag, carrier with baby, and 4 bags of groceries into the car at the same time because baby is screaming and the food will thaw if not put into the freezer right away. Carrying two young kids to the car, both kicking and screaming because they refuse to leave the park gracefully.

And how about the actual pregnancy and childbirth itself? You think many construction workers would trade their job for that? :winkwink:

Furthermore, the amount of multitasking that we moms are expected to do, especially as our children become older and/or more numerous is truly outside the scope of most professions I'm aware of. I mean, how many people at work have to try to console a crying baby, stir the dinner, answer a toddler's incessant "whys," respond to hubby's text message, and set the table all at the same time?

And how many construction workers are expected to do their jobs in chronic sleep-deprivation mode? Most of us moms spend a good chunk of years operating in this state, especially if we have multiple children.

As far as mentally, yes college final week is definitely mentally taxing (I've been there), but at least it's temporary. It doesn't hold a candle to having to explain the mysteries of the universe to a curious 4-year-old, helping a 16-year-old with their high school algebra when it's been nearly two decades since you had to use any of that stuff, and trying to convince your 10-year-old daughter that her best friend doesn't hate her just because she talked to a different girl at school that day. The mental taxation of parenting starts when they are born and you are trying to interpret each little fuss and doesn't end even when they graduate from high school and you're trying to help them plan their futures.

You'll see. For those of you who are just starting on this journey... you've only just begun to learn how this amazing and rewarding "job" called parenthood will test everything that is in you... for better or worse. :flower:

If I can "like" this a million times plus one, I would!! Very well said....and this is just the short version!

I also like chicka.chicka's post! I think some people don't realise how intense being a parent is! There's no worlds to describe how it can test you sometimes. And I only have 1... Haha!
It's way different to any job, there is no escape and its a forever job which is changing all the time. Children change so much, there's always a new way your being tested!

I think for me it is a very hard job. Not because of the hours, or how busy those first few months are, how disturbed your sleep is etc.

For me it is because I have this HUGE responsibility to raise these little people. I feel it is mostly my and my husbands responsibility to ensure they grow up happy, adjusted and ready to face the world.

I want my kids to be strong and enjoy life. And that is something completely different to achieve than working a very physical job or really long hours. Finding the right balance between protecting and letting go.

I totally agree with chicka.chicka, and I think sometimes people forget there is a huge difference in terms of investment. Yes, I might have spent $40k on a degree or whatever but even in the most 'emotional' of professions (those of us who deal with front line emergency services), the investment in others is nothing like it is with your own child. You get desensitized over time (it just happens) so you can shrug off something like a shooting, but you can agonize over days about something minor with a child (and I can't imagine dealing with something major, like other moms have had to).

So, to me, there is zero comparison.

And to point out the obvious... you can quit a job for a better one!

You try going back to the hospital and exchanging your colicky baby for a peaceful one :rofl: I can think of a few women in the teenager section who wish they could trade their teen in!!!!

Being a parent is a blessing. Best thing I've ever experienced and I didn't understand what people meant when they said it was the hardest job to have.

Then I became a parent.

- You can't call in sick, even when you and your baby are both vomitting up everything you both try to eat. Your baby comes first and you gotta get your butt off the couch and make sure your LO has everything he/she needs.

- If your baby is giving you a hard time, Human Resources isn't there to help you. Colic, tantrums, or just plain being difficult to deal with - you are often alone in having to address these issues.

- When you have spent the entire day trying to get your 12 month old to eat something (ANYTHING!) and you feel like ripping your hair out and running out the house, you can't. Try and try again.

- When you have been out of your house at work all day (even if it was a busy day, I bet you got to go to the washroom and eat something!), and you go home and all you want to do is put your feet up and watch some tv - SURPRISE! You have to think of what to prepare for dinner then make dinner for your family, feed your LO who hates food, clean up, get lunch ready for the next day, get your toddler ready for daycare, do online banking, fold the laundry that has been sitting in your dryer for three days, call your sick mother-in-law and plan your parent's 40th anniversary party, give LO a bath, play with him/her, then try putting a hyper toddler to sleep. THEN you get to sit on the couch, watch 15 minutes of your show then pass out. Get 5-6 hours of interrupted sleep, wake up and do it all over again.

I wouldn't change my crazy life for anything in this world. It isn't easy - my day job is the easy part of my day - but I do remember to enjoy every second I have with my son, and make the best out of difficult situations.

As hard as it is, I would choose being at home with my kids all day long.

It's a different kind of hard. It's hard because it's unappreciated for the most part, no one to really tell you "good job" There's no breaks, no saying "I'm going to eat lunch now so don't bother me." Some days it's pretty difficult, and you're more invested really so the worry and stress you're under is different than a jobs stress. I quit my job when my DD was almost a year...and for the first month it took a lot of adjusting, I almost went back to work (running the operations of 3 restaurants) because staying at home was so much more difficult.

That being said, it's definatly more rewarding. I wouldn't trade the time I have with my DD for anything. But a lot of days it's quite taxing, especially being pregnant again now. I do have a very high maintenance little gal as well.

I think people were just warning you because I've seen a lot of expantant moms want it so bad and just think it's all roses and rainbows, but being a parent is hard work. They're in for a shock when baby gets here and it's not as easy as they thought it would be. But all the ups/downs, temper tamptrums, they are worth it!

I've worked in pediatrics. I've been in the military as a nuclear-qualified mechanic. Now I build nuclear powered subs and carriers. Being a mom to my daughter is the best part of my day, the part I look forward to most is going home to her. It's challenging, but awesome. Sleepless nights, fevers, potty-training, and now algebra, it's all worth it. I actually take offense (not truly) to parenthood being called a job anyway; it's a choice. A big one, for sure, but I tend to think of a job as something you begrudgingly have to do. My daughter is demanding, challenging, precocious, sometimes annoying, loving, amazing, bright, but never a job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->