• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Parents who don't vaccinate their children should be liable/sued...

Ah I looked at where you where from and thought there was something I didnt know about there.

I have several times. Apparently a bit of vaccine reaction and permanent damage outweighs the dangers of the illness and is better than others getting ill from unvaxed child . :wacko: I cant think why someone would say that either but I have seen it said. Someone once said to me that I should take them to hospital to get vaccinated in a controlled environment so when they react they can do something. Even my own doc wouldnt agree to that one. Ps not anti or pro vax. Before any one tears me up. :cry:

You seem to know a lot of pretty outrageous people.

I have several times. Apparently a bit of vaccine reaction and permanent damage outweighs the dangers of the illness and is better than others getting ill from unvaxed child . :wacko: I cant think why someone would say that either but I have seen it said. Someone once said to me that I should take them to hospital to get vaccinated in a controlled environment so when they react they can do something. Even my own doc wouldnt agree to that one. Ps not anti or pro vax. Before any one tears me up. :cry:

You seem to know a lot of pretty outrageous people.

Facebook people. Maybe not the same. Thankfully I got none of that around here.

My son had egg allergies (ezcema that never goes away and he showed reaction to tests) but he is very asthmatic when he gets a cold (it gets out of control and I have to use the rescue inhaler around the clock) so he does get the flu shots. They feel trace of eggs is so small so he should be fine. And it turns out he is thank goodness.

Yep about facebook. and sadly, I know them from real life too. Seem they are finger trigger happy on the internet than in person.

I have never heard a pro vaccination voice say that those with a medical issue should still be vaccinated.
When I had a few of Niamh's jags delayed I was told by a state funded playgroup that she wasn't welcome there (by the parent's committee) if I was going to put their children like that.

This was at a committee meeting and I will happily call it a witch hunt. It was horrible. I have since become chair person and removed 2 of the mother involved from the committee for their aggressive behavior. Bitches:growlmad:

There are some horrible people out there.

Even after explaining if there was a medical issue? I'd have explained to them how herd immunity works!

I'm pro vax and will remain so. When my father was diagnosed with terminal cancer, it was important that I kept the kids up to date on all vaccines. However, would I stop my child from playing with an unvax child? No, I wouldn't. That is a form of discrimination in my opinion. My kids had a park play date while I picked up some clothes from a local mom and it never crossed my mind who "anti" vax she is. We know were each other stand and we respect each others beliefs.

I do feel vaccines serve their purpose however. My dd (yes despite being vaccinated)...contracted the flu. Hubby took her out of her stroller and put her in a shopping cart and she put her mouth on it! 48 hours later, a flu diagnosis came. I had snorky comments "how did she get it since she was vaccinated?" I do contribute credit to the vaccine for her NOT being so sickly. I also am thankful for tami flu. She didn't run a fever more than 24 hours. DH and DS had the vaccine (DH was main care giver of dd) and neither one caught it. I failed to have my vaccine and my asthma dr freaked out and put me on preventative tamiflu.

Sorry that was long.

I believe it should always be down to choice. If parents can be forced to vaccinate our children, where do you draw the line? What else can they be forced to do?

I'm pro-vax, but I choose to research into every one and make a decision on whether or not to have it, and to delay some. For example, my DD's first dose of MMR was given a year after her first vaccines (they are usually given all at the same time). I simply wasn't comfortable with the sheer amount of vaccines they are typically expected to cope with at one time and felt waiting was beneficial. I also turned down the whooping cough vaccine because there have been no studies into it's effects on unborn babies. My babies won't be having vaccines for illnesses I don't believe they need, such as chicken pox. I can only really see a need to vaccinate against that if your child has compromised health and chicken pox could make them really ill.

Plus as other posters have said, there is simply no guaranteeing a vaccine has taken effect. I've had my MMR, but I found out during routine blood tests that I am not immune to rubella so I've had to be very careful (especially since there has been an outbreak nearby).

It's just not as simple as everybody should vaccinate for everything, and if they don't they are irresponsible and should be sued. We are all lucky enough to be able to make choices we feel are right for our kids.

I see there's been another measles outbreak.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23846028

I believe it should always be down to choice. If parents can be forced to vaccinate our children, where do you draw the line? What else can they be forced to do?

I'm pro-vax, but I choose to research into every one and make a decision on whether or not to have it, and to delay some. For example, my DD's first dose of MMR was given a year after her first vaccines (they are usually given all at the same time). I simply wasn't comfortable with the sheer amount of vaccines they are typically expected to cope with at one time and felt waiting was beneficial. I also turned down the whooping cough vaccine because there have been no studies into it's effects on unborn babies. My babies won't be having vaccines for illnesses I don't believe they need, such as chicken pox. I can only really see a need to vaccinate against that if your child has compromised health and chicken pox could make them really ill.

Plus as other posters have said, there is simply no guaranteeing a vaccine has taken effect. I've had my MMR, but I found out during routine blood tests that I am not immune to rubella so I've had to be very careful (especially since there has been an outbreak nearby).

It's just not as simple as everybody should vaccinate for everything, and if they don't they are irresponsible and should be sued. We are all lucky enough to be able to make choices we feel are right for our kids.

You are absolutely entitled to choice, but I do wonder why you think that the number of vaccines given to babies is too many? Just wondering where you are getting information that would suggest that their immune systems are not capable of dealing with your regular vaccine schedule? I also wonder about your whooping cough information. There have been several outbreaks of whooping cough in North America in the last couple of years and it is an incredibly dangerous disease for very young babies. I am curious why you think the vaccine might not be safe?
And please don't think I am being confrontational or criticizing you - I think it is great that you take an active approach to your kids' health. I am interested in discussing (respectfully! :)) why you feel the way you do. :flower:

You are absolutely entitled to choice, but I do wonder why you think that the number of vaccines given to babies is too many? Just wondering where you are getting information that would suggest that their immune systems are not capable of dealing with your regular vaccine schedule? I also wonder about your whooping cough information. There have been several outbreaks of whooping cough in North America in the last couple of years and it is an incredibly dangerous disease for very young babies. I am curious why you think the vaccine might not be safe?
And please don't think I am being confrontational or criticizing you - I think it is great that you take an active approach to your kids' health. I am interested in discussing (respectfully! :)) why you feel the way you do. :flower:

No, of course I don't think you're being confrontational! It's good to discuss these things. After all, I'm always willing to accept I might be wrong and change my opinions. :thumbup:

It's really to do more with erring on the side of caution. I think there are convincing arguments on both sides, you know? It's tough to know what to do without it being such an emotive subject. For me, I felt it was important to vaccinate, but that there was no harm in giving my daughters body the best chance at being able to cope with the vaccines by spacing them out a bit, like I was covering my bases somewhat. She actually did get her second dose of the MMR about 2 months after the first dose, due to the measles outbreak here, but I was glad I waited as she did have a local reaction to the vaccines (both doses of polio and etc ones, not the MMR), both times she had a lump that took a long time to go away, the second time it was much bigger then the first.

As for the whooping cough vaccine, I don't mean it's dangerous giving it to babies. They've started offering it to pregnant mothers here as a way to pass immunity to it to a newborn. I agree that it's a terrible disease and babies need to be protected, but to me, injecting it into your body while your new child is growing complex organs and systems seems like a whole other can of worms to me. When I looked into it, (which admittedly was quite a few months ago) there hadn't been any studies into the possible effects on unborn babies, just that the potential benefits outweighed possible risks. I just felt that for me that wasn't the case, and refused to get it. Plus I believe there was no actual guarantee that immunity would be passed onto the baby.

I think it's all about looking at the possible benefits and risks and weighing up how you personally feel about them for your family.

Even after explaining if there was a medical issue? I'd have explained to them how herd immunity works!

Even after them finding out that for her first jags we were in a hospital with a crash team on stand by as the risk was so high. Even after knowing she spent 2 days in hospital with a delayed reaction:wacko:

Herd immunity is one thing I tried to explain to them. Even attempted to explain that it's like 95% for measles (in Scotland, where I am, anyway). It was like talking to a brick wall.

It's not even like this are some non educated, chavs. One woman who gave me some 'kind advice' was a Medical Malpractice lawyer. :shrug:

No, of course I don't think you're being confrontational! It's good to discuss these things. After all, I'm always willing to accept I might be wrong and change my opinions. :thumbup:

It's really to do more with erring on the side of caution. I think there are convincing arguments on both sides, you know? It's tough to know what to do without it being such an emotive subject. For me, I felt it was important to vaccinate, but that there was no harm in giving my daughters body the best chance at being able to cope with the vaccines by spacing them out a bit, like I was covering my bases somewhat. She actually did get her second dose of the MMR about 2 months after the first dose, due to the measles outbreak here, but I was glad I waited as she did have a local reaction to the vaccines (both doses of polio and etc ones, not the MMR), both times she had a lump that took a long time to go away, the second time it was much bigger then the first.

As for the whooping cough vaccine, I don't mean it's dangerous giving it to babies. They've started offering it to pregnant mothers here as a way to pass immunity to it to a newborn. I agree that it's a terrible disease and babies need to be protected, but to me, injecting it into your body while your new child is growing complex organs and systems seems like a whole other can of worms to me. When I looked into it, (which admittedly was quite a few months ago) there hadn't been any studies into the possible effects on unborn babies, just that the potential benefits outweighed possible risks. I just felt that for me that wasn't the case, and refused to get it. Plus I believe there was no actual guarantee that immunity would be passed onto the baby.

I think it's all about looking at the possible benefits and risks and weighing up how you personally feel about them for your family.

Thank you! That was a great response. While I don't agree with you that there are convincing arguments on both sides (I have yet to hear an anti-vax argument that had any scientific credence whatsoever), I do think that it is very important to be in tune with your own children's individual responses and to make informed decisions from that perspective, as well. :flower:
This came up on my FB feed today and I wanted to share it as I think it gives a very good science-based response to many commonly-held fears about vaccinations. The very last one addresses the concern of the vaccination schedule. I thought it was really well-written, so I hope others find it helpful and informative, too! :)
https://www.mamamia.com.au/news/vaccination-myths-busted-by-science-cheat-sheet-on-immunisation/

There is something fundamentally wrong with a government entity forcing a person to introduce a foreign substance into the body of their child. Subjugating individual rights (rights to property and person) to the 'collective good' is a political debate, really. Not a health one. I suspect that individuals who support a collectivistic state structure think it's okay for the government to force people to inject things into the bodies of their children for the common good. I, on the other hand, believe wholly in volunteerism. I feel, and will always feel, that it should be a personal choice.

My child is vaccinated, but not because that's what's best for all children. She is vaccinated because I feel like it's the best way to keep *her* safe. Of course I care about other children, but my children come first when it comes down to brass tacks. Call it what you will, but that is the basic instinct of any species on earth--survival of their family and bloodline. The day a government says that I HAVE to vaccinate for the common good is the day I protest. I have a right to protect my children from harm. Some people think vaccines equal harm. I support their right to think that and to keep needles and serums out of their children's bloodstreams.

PS. PreggyEggy, love what you've said. You put it very well.

Cant remember this wAs mentioned but there is a measle outbreak in Texas and my cousin posted a news article from Indiana too

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->