• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Partner going away for the weekend

Dobsd

Reaction score
So, my boyfriend is going away this weekend. He's going for a walk in the mountains with some friends about a 5 hour drive away from here. He's going to be quite far away and will also have no phone signal.
It will be 5 weeks until my due date and I'm probably worrying unnecessarily but I'm scared that something is going to happen while he's away and I won't be able to contact him.
I'm thinking of asking him not to go but this is really his last weekend of freedom before baby arrives, so I feel bad thinking about that.
What would you ladies do? Am I being unreasonable or worrying a little too much?

I think it should be ok...have you had any problems with your pregnancy so far? How long is he going for? Are comfortable with him going out of town? If not, there's nothing wrong with asking him to stay... Or maybe even you both can go on a baby moon...it's your last bit of freedom as well before baby...

My pregnancy has been ok really. I'm just worried because I have a 'feeling' that she will be early. She is measuring two weeks ahead and is quite big, which I have heard can make an early labour more likely. I was 6 weeks early myself (and still weighed 8lb!).
The last couple of days, I've been having period type cramps low down and my lower back has started to ache. I think she has moved down as the top of my belly has gone soft, whereas before it was hard and round.
I don't know if I'm just putting all of these things together and getting more worried than I should be... Really don't know what to do!

I think you have valid concerns... Maybe talk to him and let him no that want him nearby in these last weeks... He should understand... It's both your child and you want him to be there with you..

Do you have close friends or family close by that you could call on should something happen? If so, I'd let him go but ask him to try and find somewhere to call you from whenever he can. You are 6 weeks away from your due date. I'd probably say something different if it was a week or so to go. Chances Are you will be totally fine.

Do you have close friends or family close by that you could call on should something happen? If so, I'd let him go but ask him to try and find somewhere to call you from whenever he can. You are 6 weeks away from your due date. I'd probably say something different if it was a week or so to go. Chances Are you will be totally fine.

Yeah you're probably right, I'm just a worrier! I'm living in NZ and my family are in the UK, which makes it a bit harder to relax I guess.
I have friends nearby who could help out if needed but I guess my main worry, no matter how unlikely, is that she will arrive while he's away and I won't be able to tell him!

My OH went to Spain for a weekend when I was 34 weeks. My rationale was only 5% of babies are born before 37 weeks. So we'd have to be really unlucky if something to happen that weekend.

He commutes into London and could feasibly miss the birth just trying to get home so I think you have to keep a sense of perspective... I'm *hoping* to have some signs and tell him not to head into the office, he's going to *try* and work from home once I get to 38/39 weeks as much as possible...

But yeah - tbh, if I was him I'd be a bit pissed about missing a trip at 33/34 weeks - he's not going to get to go anywhere once baby is here :)...

xx

I'd let him go. My OH has a weekend away when I'm 34 weeks and another weekend away interstate when I'm 39 weeks!! I'm a little stressed about the later date but will just cross my fingers! Just ask him to contact you whenever possible and have people as backup :)

ETA: I second laylagirl though you do have valid concerns. If it will cause you stress you shouldn't feel bad asking him not to go.

My oh went away for a climbing weekend around that point in my pregnancy he had no signal either but I could have called the hostel if it was an emergency. Is he camping? If not you just need to be sure to have some alternative phone numbers.

I do think that you really need to be able to contact him, if it was me I'd hate the thought of having no way to contact my man, especially while pregnant.

If you are worrying about it though I would simply just tell him your concerns and see what he says :)

Thanks for the replies ladies... I guess I am getting ahead of myself and a little too anxious.
I think it's probably just the fact that I won't be able to contact him that's playing on my mind, he's camping in the mountains so really no chance of a signal.
I spoke to him about it last night and told him I'm worried... He allayed my fears a little, but I'm not going to ask him not to go. As Rickles said, he won't get to go many places one LO is here!

I'm glad you spoke to him. Now, go and arrange some nice treats and catch ups with pals for while he's away. Xx

My husband is flying to another country next week for 6 days when I will be 36 weeks. It's a company trip and he is the boss, so he just has to go. We just both pray she will not decide to come early;-) I will definitely not say don't go - it's also the last time he will have some fun before the baby arrives. I will just try to take it slow and don't work out much during this time. And worse case scenario - I have some good friends here to help me, so I will definitely survive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->