Partner Works Away..Looking for some buddies in the same boat!!

Krystale

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I am a first time Mum to be, 17 weeks pregnant today.

My partner works away for weeks at a time and is currently somewhere in the middle east. We cant always be in contact while he is away :cry: and sometimes I feel a bit down. He works in hostile environments so I also have the worry of is he safe...

It doesnt help that my best friend lives in South Africa 6 months out of the year!

I was just looking for some other Mums or Mums to be who are in the same boat, who have partners who they love but arent always at home.

It would be nice to chat

Thanks
Krystale

Hi there,
I'm in a similar boat - my hubby works away for 4-5 weeks at a time in Africa and then comes home for 3-4weeks, can be really tough can't it? We can speak about 3-4 times a week, but only if he rings me because of the phones, so sometimes end up feeling down and a bit worried until I hear from him!

This is my first baby as well, lots of new stuff!
What does your OH do?

Hazel
x

Hi Hazel,

Thanks for messaging..its nice to know other people are in the same boat as me, sometimes you feel quite alone!

My OH works for a private security firm and goes all over the world including Afghanistan and on ships that sail past Somalia, so I worry a lot and like you I can only speak to him if he rings me and sometimes that is only a couple of times a week.

Is your partner still going to work away when baby comes? Mine will do, the money is just too good to say no too! I am scared how I am going to cope alone as he does 6 weeks on 2 - 4 off.

What line of work is it your OH does?

Despite all of this I am so excited and happy to be pregnant and cannot wait until my little girl comes along :D

Have you found out the gender??

xxxx

Morning :flower:
I'm massively excited about having the baby too, just difficult sometimes that OH isn't here to enjoy bits of the pregnancy.

My OH works for an oil company, on ships off the coast of Nigeria, so also sometimes a little bit worrying, his reply is "the company have got kidnapping insurance...." brilliant perfectly reassuring!

Sounds like we're in very similar situations! He is going to continue working when the baby is here, think that's going to be really tough on him, but the pay is double what he'd get for doing in the UK. Trying to think of things to do to make it easier...

We don't know the gender - despite trying on 2 ultrasounds the baby wasn't cooperating, we're going for one last attempt at a private scan when I'm 31 weeks, well done on your baby girl :happydance:

Has you OH managed to get to any scans or midwife appointments? OH has made it to one midwife appt and the two main scans - had to alter the dates of them though.
How has your pregnancy gone so far?

Hazel
x

Hi :D

Just finished a long day at work!

Our situations do sound very similar, my OH works on ships as private security and his favourite saying is also that the insurance policy is brilliant! Not what you want to hear! But like your OH the money just isnt the same in this country.

Ahh, Im sorry you couldnt find out the gender. I would have been beyond disappointed if we couldnt have found out at one scan never mind 2! Fingers crossed for you on your next scan!! Let me know :flower:

I think it will be hard on us but in a different way just as hard on our partners. So far mine has been too first midwife app and 12 week scan but missed the private scan at 16 weeks and 16 week midwife. He is scheduled to be home for 20 week scan but things can change and he might not be. He is hopefully going to take a full trip off when baby comes so he will be at home for 8 - 10 weeks before he goes away again. How long will your OH get when your baby comes?

xxx

Evening :D

I've had a really dull day, got to drive to a course in London tomorrow so I didn't arrange anything so I could rest up, and instead have almost chewed my arm off from boredom. What do you do for work?

Hope your OH can make it to the 20 week scan :) It's a balancing act isn't it, Bob's (my OH) shifts can change at the last moment too, we've been trying to juggle things so that he can be here for the birth....that's if this baby decides to come on time! He'll be off for 6 weeks in total, hopefully 2 weeks before and 4 weeks after the birth.... wishful thinking!

I will be seriously disappointed if we can't find out the gender at the next scan, been trying to convince myself I wanted a surprise after our earlier failed attempts, but no...I REALLY want to know, haha.
Do you have any names yet?

xx

:thumbup: hey

sorry for late reply been at work non stop, day off today yay!

how was your drive to London, exciting course? are courses ever exciting haha!

i hope our partners do make it back, i dont know what i will do if mines not here...

iv got all my fingers and toes crossed for you finding out the gender!

we have decided on our girls name, even before we knew. She will be Hannah-May :kiss:

I am so excited!

i jst heard from my partner, he has been ona ship out of contact since last wednesday so nice to know he is safe, im pleased!

when is your scan again?

xxx

hey :flower:

Just got back from London, shattered! It was a course on minor surgery, actually quite entertaining for once, going to sleep for england tonight though!

Hannah-May is such a pretty name! :D Such a tough decision though - our scan is the 8th november, so excited, we're having Willow Rose if it's a girl or Theo James for a boy, really want to start calling it by it's name, and buying some cute babygros - unisex ones are nice, but a bit dull...

I'm glad your partner is OK, hate it when we have a communication void for a few days, start worrying. Have you tried using WhatsApp to contact him? I'd not heard about it until Bob went away on this trip - don't know the technical details except it seems to work even when he's miles offshore, like a text message service.

Are you well?

xx

Hey Krystale,

How are you getting along? Hope all is OK :D

Just thought I'd update you - had the private scan last night and we're team :pink: as well, ecstatic!

My OH has been home a couple of weeks now, and not due back to work until the 23rd, so enjoying some quality time.
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"