Partner's ex girlfriend's name?

T

Toms Mummy

Soooo, I really like the name Cami! Problem is, it is the name of one of my OH long term ex girlfriends! is this a a bit wierd if we used it? He likes the name too and has not been in contact with said ex for over 10 yrs!

Would you do it?

Honestly, no I really wouldn't. My partner suggested Jade (his ex) as a name and I nearly left him lol

But on the other hand, if you like the name too, why not?

It's how you feel about it. It's a kind of personal thing. People who meet your dd won't know it's his ex's name so, hey, go for it!

I think as long as you're both happy with the name and it doesn't bother either of you or constantly remind you of the ex girlfriend, then no, I don't see an issue with it. But I'd really really give it some thought before the baby is here, just to 100% make sure you're comfortable :thumbup:

I think that is a bit weird but I'm one of those paranoid, jealous people lol

I personally wouldn't, my other half has only had 1 other girlfriend and over my dead body would that get used lol

I wouldn't use any of my ex's names either

I think if the two of you are in a strong, healthy relationship and you just have to use the name then its yours to use.

I think if every time you hear the name you get a negative association thought then its not a good choice. And that goes for any name, it doesnt have to be an ex's name for a negative association.

I mean if you never met her, if she never meddled in your current relationship and is essentially a stranger then what negative association is there.

I wouldn't! For me it would be too hard to not think of the ex when I said the name or especially when someone asked how we came up with the name.

There are so many names I like but because they remind me of someone, I won't use them. If it were me, I wouldn't. I like the name though.

I wouldn't use his exs names because I'm a crazy jealous person too but if we had a boy I had Nicholas as a possibility and I've had two boyfriends by that name. I just like the name and it has nothing to do with my exes, so as long as it doesn't bother you I don't see anything wrong with it.

Thanks everyone. I have never met his ex, but I know she was special to him. But I'm not a jealous person and she's never had any affect on our relationship.

But, I will have more of a think about it! You're right that I already associate it with her (alhtough not negatively or positively) so it'll prob stay that way! It's a shame as the name is really nice :dohh:

I wouldn't use his ex's name, but just a though, what about a name like Camille or Cameron, or whatever that you can shorten to Cami, that way its not exactly like his ex so you wont have to associate the full name to her if you really do like Cami :)

Thanks lovingmumma. His ex is actually called Camille but gets called Cami, so can't really go down that route!

I think I'll just have to think of another name.... it's so hard! Everything I like my OH dismisses and vice versa :dohh:

TBH I wouldn't like it BUT my ex was called William and my OH was desperate to call our baby William if Maddie had been a boy!! I was totally honest about it being my ex's name and OH didn't give two hoots and wanted it. I felt a little bit weird but then decided the name was so common that people wouldn't think it was odd... so would have happened.

Up to you!

I couldn't do it. I'd want OHs ex's names mentioned as little as possible so definitely wouldn't name my child the same name... It's up to you though, if its not going to bother you then go ahead :)

Ah my oh fancied the pants of a girl called belle before we got together. Our dd is now belle. I love the name. Not jealous at all :) he loves me now and we both love belle.

Yeah if you feel as though you would constantly associate your baby with the ex, then I wouldn't use it. But I'm one of those people that's like OH WELL WHO CARES ITS JUST A NAME lol. Like, I was suggesting names to SIL when she was prego and she goes "that's so and so's ex" or "so and so cheated on so and so with that person" I'm like "great, all the good names are taken," lol.

It wouldn't bother me! But it does bother DH!! I love the name Lydia and suggested it as a possible. DH said no as its his ex girlfriends name ( from about 20 yes ago) but still a no for us!

I wouldn't use any of OHs exs names that were long term relationships, but then again they have horrendous names anyway. If it was someone he dated and wasn't really serious about I would consider it. Maybe just spell it differently or something? Like Cammi or Cammie instead of Cami

OnetwothreeBP- That's funny you say that, I just found out my friends girlfriend named their dog kate, after his ex girlfriend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->