Passing large clots - warning VERY graphic picture !

cnsweeney

Reaction score
I am currently 10 days postpartum. On days 7 and 9 I passed large clots . They were each about the size of my palm or so . I took a picture of the one yesterday . My bleeding was awfully heavy yesterday and it is still bright red. I should also mention the clots have a foul odor .. Sorry tmi! They are jelly like but you cannot break through them as they are tissue .. So it's like firm jelly . Again sorry tmi . I've also had unexplained fevers that are up and down since 2 weeks before delivery and none of the docs can seem to figure it out. If anyone has any insight to what may be wrong with me or if I should be concerned please let me know !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 54
I dont mean to worry you hun but my friend is going through the exact same thing and she has just been to the hospital now and found out she has retained tissue from the pregnancy. I would get yourself checked out asap hun. clots shouldnt be bigger than a 50 pence peice xx

You should no longer be passing clots like this! I think it's after day 5 no clots larger than a golf ball and your bleeding should be slowed and dark red. You Could have retained products and possibly an infection, especially if you have a fever. Call your doctor today and if you can't go on I'd go to emerge. Both infection and retained products puts you at risk for late post partum hemmoraghe. If you soak a pad on less than an hour X2 hours go straight to emergency or call an ambulance if you are by yourself with babe.

You need to go to the hospital ASAP!!! Clots of this size is dangerous and you need too be seen by a doctor.

I started passing massive clots like that about 12 days postpartum. I strongly encourage you to go to the hospital and get yourself checked out. I suffered from delayed postpartum hemorrhage and required a D&C and 2 blood transfusions as I was losing so much blood. Hopefully it turns out to be nothing serious for you. Good luck. :hugs:

ETA: Sorry, I see that this thread is several days old. Hopefully everything turned out ok for OP.

Hope you got this checked out hun, and REALLY hope you are doing well now! Sounds like possible retained placenta.

After DS I was back in hospital a week later due to bleeding not slowing down and still being dark red, foul smell and in absolute agony I had endometritis, thankfully I caught in time so could be sent home with antibiotics instead of kept in but u didn't pass any clots.

I feel horrible that I never responded to all of your kind advice ! I guess I just had so much going on at the time ! I was checked out by the doctor and seems it was nothing ?! A nurse friend of mine said some people come in to the e.r with similar issues .. Some even bring their clots with them to show the doctor ! Lol ... But she said some people just bleed more than others and take longer to pass all of the clots especially if it took you a while to get up and moving which for me it did because I had such a tough labor and delivery and required blood transfusions etc. but they did do a sonogram and showed no retained placenta so that's good . I am now 4 months pp and am doing great . The unexplained fevers were actually not related at all ... I had mono ! We believe my 5 year old gave it to me . :( it was going around school . She had a sore throat for a couple days and bounced right back . I on the other hand suffered with fevers and fatigue for weeks at the end of my pregnancy and post partum which added to my stress post delivery because at that point I thought it was something very serious especially considering none of the doctors could figure it out but luckily I had a great doctor at a different hospital who decided to test for mono and it came back positive !
Thank you for your help ladies ! Good luck to all of you ttc or pregnant !
Sorry again for such a tmi post but I knew this was the site to turn to ! Always understanding and helpful ladies here :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->