Patellar Dislocation

AlliCat

Mom of 1 Son
Reaction score
Had my 32 week OB appointment yesterday. No sooner had I gotten into the exam room with the nurse and went to sit on the exam table that I felt and heard my knee pop and about fainted. My OB rushed in when gasped and screamed in pain to put ice on it and wrap it, telling me I had to go to the ER right away. Of course this was the first appointment I have ever gone to alone as my husband works midnights and had to schedule this time when he couldn't go and my mom couldn't get a break from work to meet me. Needless, to say my mother rushed out of work when I called her in agony and crying to take me to the ER where we sat for about an hr before they even got me in for xrays (they covered my abdomen with about 5 lead aprons). They discovered from the xrays that my patella had dislocated and was on the outside of my leg. After multiple calls to my OB and about 3 hrs of sitting with my patella to the side of my leg in excruciating pain and being moved from one surface to another to another to another they were finally able to give me some morphine and after it took effect the ER Dr. was able to push it back into place. I am currently in an immobilizer and very scared. How long should I wear the immobilizer for? What kind of brace should I buy to wear for when I am walking and standing at work? Is this likely to occur again after it has happened once? Has this happened to anyone else and if so why does it occur?

Baby is still extremely active so I am feeling better about how he is reacting to all this....

I have had several knee dislocations and so has my brother. I didn't usr anything except for a basic knee brace after any of the times iv done mine. I just used it as much as I could and listened to my body. If my knee was telling me it had had enough I rested. Unfortunately for me I no it is unlikely to be the last time I dislocated them and my hips try to pop out too. I would listen to what ur body is telling u, keep a pillow under ur knee at night to support it, use ice packs and rest it

Great to hear baby seems ok, glad they took necessary precautions x

I have had several knee dislocations and so has my brother. I didn't usr anything except for a basic knee brace after any of the times iv done mine. I just used it as much as I could and listened to my body. If my knee was telling me it had had enough I rested. Unfortunately for me I no it is unlikely to be the last time I dislocated them and my hips try to pop out too. I would listen to what ur body is telling u, keep a pillow under ur knee at night to support it, use ice packs and rest it

Great to hear baby seems ok, glad they took necessary precautions x

I am currently still wearing the immobilizer as whenever I think about taking it off or am told to take it off by my mother I freak out and burst into tears. My mom is a PT but I freak out even thinking about taking the immobilizer off... My hubby bought me this brace --- https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/a...bilizers,-model-200290/ID=prod6152504-product ---- but I am extremely scared to take off the immobilizer they put on me in the ER...

The less u use ur muscles the more they will waste, when my brother did his around 20 years ago they put a plaster cast on from his ankle to his thigh, that was on for 4 weeks and his muscles wasted away, it lead to more and more dislocations and now his knees are terrible. I no its scary but try to use it as much as u safely can, if ur scared about putting weight on it get a walking aid and put as much weight on it as ur able without it hurting but keep using it, the last thing u want is to end up worse off. Ask ur mum for some strengthening exercises and she can help u.

I really hope things improve soon xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->