paternity rights / leave

Jadey121

Mummy of 2. Expecting No3
Reaction score
Ok so my oh started his new job on the 11th march after being let go by his old company he had a gap of 4 weeks out of work before getting his new job.

Im not sure if he is going to get paternity leave as hes had a 4 weeks gap between employment. However he has reqested leave in June for 1/2 weeks at a provisional date of 10th June as we are having a planned section and the consultant it would be 10th June the latest.
His works has not signed this off and his boss sent an email to everyone that works there saying if he gets pestered anymore about pending holidays they will be refused!
Does he have ANY rights at all? :-\ im really worried as they seem like right arseh*oles! i was in hospital last tuesday with suspected measles and the boss told my oh that if he left work to be with me he could have his p45!

:hug: here in the US you aren't entitled to anything, unless it's in your contract. DH also lost his job in march and had 10 days between jobs. Luckily his new job offers 5 sick days that he can use when we are in the hospital but he will have to be careful not to get sick, lol. Not sure when he gets more. After a year of employment here you are covered under the family medical leave act, meaning you can't be fired if immediate family is seriously sick but you don't get paid for time off.

That is incorrect about the US not having anything..many men are entitled to 12 protected (but unpaid) weeks if paternity leave, as long as they fall under FMLA. My husband has taken over a month off for every child. I was rather shocked the that UK only allowed two weeks off. If hate not having my husband to help out in the first month or so.

fmla (family medical leave act) doesn't go into effect until 12 months of employment. And pregnancy is covered, as well as paternity leave. DH just started a new job so doesn't apply for us or the OP

Are you in the uk? My oh started his new job in October, and I'm due June 19th. He isn't entitled to any official paternity leave as he hasn't been there long enough. His work have allowed 1 weeks compassionate leave, and 1 weeks holiday, but other than the day of the birth, they don't have to allow anything if they choose not too.

yeah im in the uk.

we would gladly take unpaid leave if we have too just so my oh can be there at the birth. im guessing they could still refuse that though seen as he hasnt been employed for that long.

My OH started his new job on the 1st March and he isn't entitled to paternity leave either, however his work are lovely and they've provisionally booked a week in July around the due date which will be changed if the baby comes earlier/later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->