Patrick Thomas Austin 06.01.09, 06.09am very very very long

shampain

Mum to Patrick! :-)
Reaction score
Well, it’s a week on and I finally feel ready to write my birth story! I tried writing it a few days ago and couldn’t quite get through it!!
Well I was due on the 20th Jan but awoke on Sunday the 4th to my waters breaking, I flew out of bed (half crushing and waking my partner in the process) and felt most of them leave me down the loo! As I was climbing over my bloke to get out of bed I had muttered to him “my waters have gone” then shot off to the loo, he popped his head round the door to make sure I was ok then went down stairs. We were staying at my parents for the weekend as we quite often do. We are a really close family and I love my parents to bits. Mum came in the loo, oblivious to what was going on and in my daze I never said my waters have gone!, I just said “im in here” she went down stairs and soon came flying back up after Gav had informed her of the news. I tried to get dressed without soaking everything as my waters continued to leak every time I moved! My poor dad had come of nights that morning and it was only 10am, mum woken him up to tell him my waters had gone. After a coffee I decided I should ring the hospital, so I rang DDH where I was booked in, I didn’t want to have to have my baby in Whiston hospital which is the closest to my parents. I asked the lady on the phone was I ok to travel and she said as long as I felt fine then it was my decision. As I had no pain of any kind we decided to all travel to our house as we knew baby would be here soon!
We packed up and everyone was in a daze and set of for the hours drive to our house. Once we got there I put the finishing things in my hospital bag and contacted the hospital, they asked me to come in to be examined.
Mum and dad stayed at our house as I knew I would be sent home. Once at the hospital I gave a sample of wee and gave the midwife the pad I was wearing. She confirmed it was my waters and said if I was happy to go home then I could. I wanted to stay at home for as long as possible so I said ok. She said to phone at 10am in the morning if I hadn’t gone into labour and I would have to be induced.
So we went home and had a lovely evening with my parents.
At 3am I woke with stomach pains which were mild but noticeable, they slowly got stronger and by 5.30 I woke Gav and told him, I got them to 7mins apart and then they went all over the place again!! So at 10am I phoned the ward, they said they were really busy and as long as I was ok at home to stay put and they would phone when they had a room. I was happy with this as I didn’t want to be waiting around in hospital. Poor mum, dad and Gav were all on pins. My contractions were all over the place.
3pm I got a phone call to go in to delivery suite. We all went to hospital, mum and dad in their own car as I was unsure how many people I was allowed in with me. I and mum got dropped off near the door while dad and Gav tried to find a space. I got a bit emotional and I and mum had a little cry. We went up to the suite and I was told I was only allowed 2people with me, I was devastated, there was no way I could choose between mum or dad so I decided to just have Gav with me. I had to wave my mum and dad off and send them back to my house to wait it out. I cried and cried and cried!
We settled into our room (Room 2) and was given some tea and toast as I wouldn’t be allowed to eat as I was been induced. I watched all my soaps. I was examined and was told that I was 5cm dilated!!!! I was shocked but really pleased. This meant I was only to have sintocin and not the gel!
At about 9pm we met our midwife and she was a real life angel called Ruth, she said she would start me off on the drip when she got back from theatre.
After a while she came back, my contractions were still coming all over the place but they were not painful. The drip was started and I was asked about my plans for birth and labour, I said I was taking things as they came and I would ask for pain relief as and when I needed it and Gav was to cut the cord.
I started to feel the effects of the drip pretty much straight away but still I wasn’t in much pain. We had a scary moment here where baby’s heart rate dropped and I had to be moved around and put on oxygen, but he sorted himself out and didn’t do it again.
All of a sudden I hit the wall, the drip had taken too much of an effect and all my contractions rolled into one, I was puffing away on the gas and air like a good one. I was like this for a few hours and in the end the decision to stop the sintocin was made. My partner was brilliant; I cannot describe how amazing he was. I calmed down and they restarted the drip. I can remember random people coming in and looking at me and at some point I was examined again. I didn’t open my eyes much but I know my partner and midwife never left my side. All of a sudden I got a stinging pain down below, I was examined and was told I was ready to push…but I didn’t have any urge at all to push. For some reason also at this point my contractions stopped…a doctor was brought in and the decision was made to whack my drip up and try active pushing. I was told to push with my contractions…but there was nothing there, I had no energy left at all and my pushing was feeble. By this time I was hysterical the contractions were so painful and I had massive pressure down below but no energy to help him along.
After an hour and half of active pushing I was told to stop. I was set up for forceps delivery. I was terrified, my partner was scared stiff. People came in from everywhere and there were about 5 more people in the room. The doctor was still telling me to try and push and I was loosing my rag. Then she made it all make sense she said “you have 3 choices, you have this baby by yourself, you have forceps or you go for emergency c section and you don’t want that…THAT’S IT” so I got mad at myself and said “can I do this alone” to Ruth she said I could so I asked the doctor to let me try one more time, she said she would give me 15mins and come back. I lost my temper and waited for my next contraction and pushed with all my might……I pushed quite a few times and at 06.09am on 06.01.09 I gave birth to Patrick Thomas Austin he weighed 6lb14oz and Gav cut his cord. We were totally overwhelmed, shocked, emotional and so so so tired but we have never been happier.
Well I suppose that’s my birth story over and done with, my god its long and im sure if Gav were to read it he would say ive missed loads out. But one thing I would like to say is that I was truly blessed by having such an amazing midwife, I’ll never be able to repay her or thank her enough.
If you haven’t died of bordem then here are some pics!!
:blush:
https://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i319/millymollymoonbeam/Photo0069.jpg
https://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i319/millymollymoonbeam/Photo0081.jpg
https://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i319/millymollymoonbeam/Photo0085.jpg

awww, what a cutie!
Congratulations
-x-

Congratulations...he looks tiny in that carseat!! x

What a gorgeous little man!! Congratulations honey xxxxxxx

Well done and congrats what a cuttie :)

congrats! I love how bundled up he is!

Congratulations!!