PB&J

luckyme225

Reaction score
At what age can they start having peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?

I wouldn't introduce peanut butter till after 2 years. It is such a high allergy food these days and the reaction can be soo horrible. A friend of mine's husband gave their son a crust a bread with a tiny bit of peanut butter on it when he was about 12-14 months old and they had to rush him to the hospital. She told me the longer you wait to introduce it, the better. Maybe give him a different nut butter, like sunflower seed.

Yeah they recommend no peanut butter until atleast age 2, even longer if there is any family history of a peanut allergy as they can be VERY serious.

Each to their own...I started giving Valerie peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches a week ago. Sometimes I think the reason kids have such a reaction to it is because parents keep it from their kids for so long. I've actually seen studies about kids having an allergic reaction to it because they weren't introduced to it. I waited a full year to give it to her (just like everyone said, but I've decided we're not waiting any longer.) We have NO peanut allergies in both my OH and I's families and she's had it for a week and a half now and has had no reaction to it. She loooooves it! Every parent has to make their own decisions about what to give their son/daughter.

The current recommendation for peanut butter is one year, unless there is a history of allergies in the family, in which case you are advised to wait until 3 years. A lot of the Annabel Karmel recipes use peanut butter and it's an excellent source of protein and vitamins for vegetarian toddlers.

Incidently, the UK guidance recommendation that pregnant women and children under 3 shouldn't have peanuts is soon going to be changed. In Israel, nearly all babies are weaned onto peanut paste and they have one of the lowest incidence of peanut allergies in the world. The latest evidence suggests that early exposure actually reduces the chance of allergies.

But as the others have said, the potential risks can be pretty serious. If you do decide to introduce it, use a small amount at first and keep a close eye on your child for a few hours afterwards.

max had his first p-nut butter and Jelly at 12 months :) and loves it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->