PCOS and OPKs

Arcanegirl

Bazinga!!
Reaction score
Just read this on a PCOS forum that someone else said....

"These are my thoughts on them. It depends on the person and the hormone profile. In the medical profession, there are 2 distinct categories/causes of PCOS. Those with insulin resistance and those with high levels of leutenising hormone (LH - high for many reasons, but features in thinner women). OPK test for a huge surge of LH which occurs immediatly before (and triggers) ovulation. Presumably if you had really high LH levels with PCOS, you would test + on an OPK even if you werent ovulating. "

Also mentioned on the forum is how PCOS sufferers try to ovulate a few times in one cycle so an OPK would pick up the rise in LH but then you dont actually ovulate.

that explains alot then!

When I first used them, I had 5 positive OPK in a row but didnt ovulate.

xx

That DOES make tons of sense..

OPKs really dont seem to work for me (I have severe PCOS, few cysts still in there after having one removed !! urgh).. there have been some months where I have had 4 postive OPKs in a row and then other months where they are all brutally negative... I thought that after my last lap I could kinda feel my body ovulating but I think that was just my sodding imagination !! gggrrr...

When ordering my last batch, I specifically asked if there were OPKs of a different level of sensitivity for women who suffer from PCOS and I was sent a different level of sensitivity, but in all honesty it hasnt made any difference as after 30 months I am still not pregnant...

go figure.. :/

TTx

I have never had a positive on them either, typical though the only time i felt i ovulated i was on holiday and didnt have test stips with me, and this was the only 28 day cycle i evern had since DEPO, since then nowt!

I get true results on OPK's, but only in the sense that they are + when my body is about to ovulate, but my body doesn't always manage it! Otherwise, they're always negative.

I have gotten very poor results from my use of OPKS with my crazy PCOS cycle.

And recommendations on a fertility monitor or other alternative to plain OPKs?

The only reliable ANYTHING I've found is checking my CM, and plain, boring temping. :(

Im 21 and i weigh 7stone...i am only 5ft 2 and although i look in proportion with my body i am underweight...anyways...
I got diagnosed with PCOS the other day, which explains why i have always had irregular periods ranging anywhere from every 4months to having nothing for TWO years...

I thought at first because i was only 16 when my first af arrived that it was just my body getting into the swing of things but when i never had another af for 13months i got really worried so had so many tests done on me for everything and it all came back normal.
Then i went onto the pill as i met my dp and i was only 17...but after changing to so many different pills i decided to come off and see what my body would do...
nearly TWO years later...i had NOTHING at all, but this time i wasnt too bothered as i still thought my body would sort its self out...
Thats when i fell pregnant on the off chance (which was even more of a miracle than i first thought)
I had a healthy pregnancy up untill 24week + 6days and i went into pre term labour and about 5mins before she was born she passed away :cry::cry::cry:

so then after she was bon i had 3 regular periods for the first time in my life and i was so happy to think my body was actually "working" But then with the stress of loosing my little girl, i went onto anti depressants for i think either 1 or 2weeks and then came off them....that was in may and i should have been due af, but it never showed up...then af did turn up 4months later in august and now its december i still havnt had once since...

I started using opks as i want to be pregnant so badly..i have a huge urge after loosing a child and i dont have any LC...
So the first time i used an OPK i got a positive- i was so happy thiking i would catch that egg...but 6days later i was still getting very strong positives and knew something wasnt right. (i still get positives on them now)
Alot of people told me it could be PCOS but me being neieve thought...im only 21 of course i wont have that...Even my gp was very confident that i wouldnt have it but he sent me to get some bloods done anyways just to make sure..they came back normal..just shows how stupid and nieve me and my gp were and that ANYONE can have it...

Which brings me to the scan i had thurs gone..she said that my ovaries are enlarged and there are cysts on them, but im not sure of the size yet etc, i have a gp app next week to talk about it properly...

So i was wondering if anyone has any advice and info on PCOS...
i dont want to try any medication just yet...id rather try natural remedies iykwim first...such as accupuncture? or vitamins??

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!! and sorry this is so long...

xxxx[/CENTER]

hi new here!....I get the right results on opks but I dont ovulate every month either actually Ive ovulated 2 months in a row now and am so excited! but also I have had a normal long cycle (36 days) for 6 months now after have to take prometrium for over a year. weight loss was the reason for my cycles regulating... either way back about 3 years ago when I started having this problem with not having periods and didnt know what was wrong with me I took a digital preg test and got a false positive well now I know why... the digital preg tests not only look for HSG but also LH so I had high LH back then. for some reason my body doesnt produce too much LH and doesnt affect OPKs or HPT anymore but I stay away from digital tests just in case :) other preg tests dont look for LH so if you have PCOS stay away from digital preg tests! just a thought :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->