PCOS at 23

Abbi's Maid

Mommy of one
Reaction score
I've probably had it my whole life. My mom has it and so does my older sister...

I dunno...I just thought I'd somehow managed to escape it. I never really showed any concrete signs. Sure, I'd missed periods and had irregular periods my whole life, but it never seemed like that big a deal. And the women in my family are notoriously heavy set. Not really in a bad way though. I'm almost six foot. And though I've always been curvy, I've never been "fat".

Then when I was 20 I was having HORRENDOUS pain I just associated with PMS. I went to my Dr to see if he could prescribe some sort of pain relief but instead he wanted to do ultra sounds. ??? This confused me. But what they found made sense. My right ovary was completely eat up with cysts.

Even then though, we didn't really think it was PCOS. So many of the other symptoms I didn't think I had.

Well, after my daughter was born weight loss became impossible. I changed my eating habits DRAMATICALLY...and nothin'. I stayed as active as possible...nothin'. And on top of this...I went 8 months without a period. I wasn't even ovulating. And now, a year since my daughter was born I weigh 260 pounds. (100 lbs more than I weighed when I got pregnant with her and 50 lbs more than I was when I had her)

I couldn't take it anymore, so last winter I broke down and started doing research on PCOS. And man...I was surprised at how many of the symptoms I had. I really hadn't thought any thing about the eczema on my breasts (I've had eczema my whole life). I was exhausted sure, but I attributed it to being a new mom. And the missing periods...well, I'd always been that way...not a big deal right?

So so wrong. Well, I went to the Dr and she said I could be a poster child for PCOS. GREAT. Just great.

In some ways, I'm relieved. At least I know what's wrong so I can start to fix it ya know?

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else out there is dealing with this too. We haven't discussed or started any treatments yet. This is all still very new. But, I'm scared. Hopeful, but scared. :sad1:

Hi hun! I too have PCOS and im 21...I just got diagnosed in Dec 08! As you can see by my sig I went 2 years without anything and then I fell pregnant! My first period was at 16 and then 13months later I had another period! Then I soon settled into a cycle that came every 4months..which was regular for me. I met my DP and went onto the pill as I was only 17. i stayed on the pill for roughly a year and eventually decided after changing to so many pills and each one of them not agreeing with me, I thought I would see if my body could sort its self out! I waited for just under 2years without anything! Which to be honest didnt bother me...I just thought I was a late developer!

Aug 2007 I started feeling different...I couldnt put my finger on it! Sep 2007 I "knew" I was pregnant although I hadnt tested...I just had that "feeling" So I tested Oct 4th 2007 and to my suprise it was a BFP....I was stunned but so happy! I mean you dont expect to get pregnant when you havent had a period for sooooo long do you?!

Anyways, Jan 2008 I lost my little girl at 24 + 6 days :cry: and after giving birth I hadd 3regular cycles straight after one another for the 1st time in my life....Then they went kaput again in may 2008 and I never had another one till the august....

I started using OPKS and was suprised to have caught my surge...or so I thought! My surge went on for over than a week and even now i still get positive sticks....

So this set alarm bells ringing and I demanded to get a scan and bloods done! Thats when I was diagnosed with PCOS....The only symptoms I have are the infrequent (or none) periods...
I am actually underweight and I know this actually can be a factor of people with PCOS aswell...
So ive been placed on metformin and as of yet I dont think its doing anything, but I think it could take a while?!

Maybe you could try it, its meant to be really helpful with PCOS and it helps alot of people loose weight! And even I have lost weight (even though thats not good for me)
I do know what you mean about you being glad you have a reason though.....its actually very common and although there is no cure, it can be treated and you can get help!

If you want to ask me anything just PM me, Im quite clued up about this....

:hugs:

Donna xxx

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 19. To behonest apart from horrible cramps a lot of missed periods and a heck of a lot of facial hair its never really bothered me.

Theres a lot of things to avoid food wise to help weight lose but everyone is different with it, speak to your doctor and they may be able to help you with it.

To be fair, it's just one of those things that a lot of people have and not a lot of people talk about but just stay positve, i know it's hard but it helps.

Edit. forgot to put im only 23 as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->