PCOS Club!

Thanks for the advice, I rang the hospital and my doctor is ringing me back so I'll mention it to her! Wish me luck, hopefully they'll find out what's wrong and sort it for me:)

Get thyroid tested definitely, TSH, T3 and T4. You might wanna get prolactin tested as well. If it's elevated, it might suppress ovulation too. All of those are fasting tests, so make sure to do it in the morning before you eat anything.

Usually they do all of those together with other hormones, because if anything's wrong with those it's likely to be something else but PCOS.

Good suggestions! I know when my endo tested me for pcos, she did 17 vials of bloods worth of tests... that included everything mentioned above as well as the glucose tolerance etc. It does seem weird to have pcos/weight GAIN problem.

thank you both for clearing things up, making an appointment for tests to be done, they seem to be stringing me along at the minute! X

hi everyone, hope you dont mind me introducing myself

My name is claire and I have known for over 8 months that I have PCOS.

We started trying for a baby when we came back off our honeymoon prety much at the same time as finding out i had pcos.

doctors did blood hormone tests and then didnt really want to do anything about the pcos despite me telling him were tying for a baby because he wants me to lose weight. im 16.3 stone so i need to lose a lot. he didnt want to give me any help to lose the weight.

i have been off the coil for 8 months and still not getting any sort of regular or normal periods so i took the leap and went to see another doctor (will be the 4th) and she was great. understood how i was feeling and said from my 2 lots of hormone results and symptoms can almost definatly say its pcos and says she is going to refer me to a gyne after i have been to see her monday to get my blood results again (hormone, cholesterol and blood sugars)

she thinks my best bet is to try metamorfin first and said she will say she thinks this is best to gyne. she said it could help me lose some of the weight too

can i ask those of you who have been on nhs waiting list to see gyne how long it took and if you have been on metamorfin if it helped with weight?

if you dont mind i would like to stay regular on this page??

thanks for reading

claire

welcome claire

Im so happy today i have now been on the metformin for almost 1 month i did get a period on time with it before that it was 66 days and irregular before that). I have managed to lose 14lbs.

TMI warning -but last night when in the bathroom i wiped and notice EWCM so i decided to check and yes i had true EWCM i have never really had this before in the past year. We definately BD but it is an improvement to have it and know i may really ovulate this month.

hi everyone, hope you dont mind me introducing myself

My name is claire and I have known for over 8 months that I have PCOS.

We started trying for a baby when we came back off our honeymoon prety much at the same time as finding out i had pcos.

doctors did blood hormone tests and then didnt really want to do anything about the pcos despite me telling him were tying for a baby because he wants me to lose weight. im 16.3 stone so i need to lose a lot. he didnt want to give me any help to lose the weight.

i have been off the coil for 8 months and still not getting any sort of regular or normal periods so i took the leap and went to see another doctor (will be the 4th) and she was great. understood how i was feeling and said from my 2 lots of hormone results and symptoms can almost definatly say its pcos and says she is going to refer me to a gyne after i have been to see her monday to get my blood results again (hormone, cholesterol and blood sugars)

she thinks my best bet is to try metamorfin first and said she will say she thinks this is best to gyne. she said it could help me lose some of the weight too

can i ask those of you who have been on nhs waiting list to see gyne how long it took and if you have been on metamorfin if it helped with weight?

if you dont mind i would like to stay regular on this page??

thanks for reading

claire

Welcome Claire!! I don't have any experience with the NHS since I live in the USA, but I have been on Metformin now for 5 months and I will swear by it. I changed my diet to go along with it, but with the help of metformin and following a low GI diet, I've lost over 50 pounds since August and most of it was in the first 3 months (the last 2 months have been not so good for me because I've been going through a miscarriage combined with holidays. :wacko:). I've noticed a big difference too in how I lost this weight from how I've lost anything before. Usually I lose just in the stomach if I'm lucky enough to lose anything. This time around I'm losing it all over - arms, face, chest band size, etc.

I'm glad you found a better doctor who understands the issues! The first doctor sounds like an idiot who knows nothing about pcos at all!

hi pdmcd17 thanks for the welcome
thats great about the metmorfin, im looking forward to starting it :D

dogercpkl really sorry to hear about the misscarriage :( *hugs*
again great news about the metmorfin. and your right the first doctor was a real idiot and he is still my registered doc but i refuse to go and see him. i avoid him at all costs!

hope things look up for everyone :D

I forgot to say as you can see i have already had a baby, when i had my daughter my periods were not too abnormal but were 8 weeks apart but i always got ewcm but since having her and putting a tone of weight on i dont get it any more and my periods are all over the place :(

Hi Everyone, I have just been told I have PCOS after TTC for 3 years:wacko:

I have also been advised that i may have a leakage from one of my tubes which can lead to implantation not taking place!!! I have been told that i may have to have one of my tubes removed to enable me to carry! I am having a test for this in a few weeks.

I have been told by a private clinic that the best was to concieve is with IVF but i have been told that i can go down the clomid / IVF drug route (unsure of name) and i am a little unsure of what to do.

IVF obviously is very expensive & i do have a little money which would prehaps pay for one normal cycle or 2 with me egg donating, however time is limited on this due to age, only got till May to do this.

Just wondered if anyone had any advice / words or wisdom or encouragement about how likely it is to get pregnant with PCOS provided I dont have the fluid leakage or how sucessful the drugs are.

Thanks Ladies

Hi Everyone, I have just been told I have PCOS after TTC for 3 years:wacko:

I have also been advised that i may have a leakage from one of my tubes which can lead to implantation not taking place!!! I have been told that i may have to have one of my tubes removed to enable me to carry! I am having a test for this in a few weeks.

I have been told by a private clinic that the best was to concieve is with IVF but i have been told that i can go down the clomid / IVF drug route (unsure of name) and i am a little unsure of what to do.

IVF obviously is very expensive & i do have a little money which would prehaps pay for one normal cycle or 2 with me egg donating, however time is limited on this due to age, only got till May to do this.

Just wondered if anyone had any advice / words or wisdom or encouragement about how likely it is to get pregnant with PCOS provided I dont have the fluid leakage or how sucessful the drugs are.

Thanks Ladies

Hi hun,
Although I'm not much help with your questions or IVF, I just wanted to wish you all the luck in the world. I'll look forward to seeing the photo's!
**Baby Dust**
xx

Welcome Jessica

I have no suggestions just wishing you lots of baby dust

Afm nothing new happening here just now in the 2ww
Tonight is my weigh in I'm hoping to break 15lbs

hi jessica - i have pcos, and also high fsh levels and my oh has rubbish swimmers....we were told to go down ivf route after years of trying.....we werent given any other options although personally i think its best to try less invasive methods first and leave things like ivf till last. but somehow just out the blue we conveived naturally.......my friend who has pcos was pretty much same as me. had been trying for a long time and also randomly conceived. so it can happen......some women with pcos dont have trouble conceiving at all - pcos is a weird thing!
x

Hi guys! I'm brand newly diagnosed with PCOS, but I've been a member of this forum for a while. I took a break last year because it was getting to painful being reminded of babies whenever I visited, and I was scared to go to the doctor about it.
Anyways, I finally got the strength to get the ball rolling and the doctor naturally sent me straight off for tests to see if I'm ovulating. I got the results back just yesterday, and sure enough, not only am I not ovulating, he says I have PCOS, and has started me on metmorfin right away. He's got me taking it 500mg once a day for the 1st 2 weeks, then 1000mg (half in morn half in evening) from then on.
He did say that it could help us get pregnant quite quickly but I'm being only cautiously optimistic because I've since noticed that this isn't considered a very high dose. I don't know alot about it though.

I don't know if I actually have cysts on my ovaries, but I have high insulin & high hormones which stops me ovulating, and the doc says those are symptoms. But like I said, I don't understand alot of it, the doctor only ran me through rather quickly yesterday, and although he explained alot of details, it was alot to take in.

Anyway, one thing I'm concerned about is how quickly the metmorfin will take affect. I only started last night (so so far I've taken 2 doses, one last night, one tonight), and don't know if I would even notice any changes, but there's one thing I'm confused about. (TMI ALERT) My last AF started Dec 25th, but tonight I'm bleeding lightly, but heavyer than what normal 'spotting' would be. If it's AF then that means my cycle is 25 days, which is the shortest cycle I've had in years, but I'm curious to know, could it possibly be ovulation? Is it possible that the metmorfin has lowered my hormones enough to ovulate this quickly?
How heavy is ovulation bleeding exactly? I know not everyone does bleed when they ovulate, but I'm curious.

I know that I'm probably being silly, but I'm just not sure because I'm so new to this and really don't know alot about it. And I'm so confused by the bleeding. I never bleed this early, not even spotting, which I often get when AF finally remembers it's time to show up (after all, it's not like she's had anything to remind her, lol)

Sorry, I'm so clueless...

Oobies, my advice to you - sign up to Fertility Friend and learn everything about cycles and tracking ovulation. My bet your bleeding is the period, not ovulatory spotting. Meformin might have worked already to restart your cycle. It works by normalizing your insulin production and that in return affects in a positive way a lot of other hormones in your body, including sex hormones.

Your Metformin dose is not too low. They usually start you on 500 or 1000 and see if things normalize. It might just be all you need. And you shouldn't take more drugs than necessary.

Most important - take it easy. There's a lot to take in once the PCOS diagnosis gets dropped on you, it's overwhelming. But take my word, it does get easier to deal with!

Ah I see =)
I had kinda hoped that it would restart my cycle but didn't actually think it would. I also hadn't considered that AF would start as part of that scenario lol.

I will have a look at fetility friend =)

I kinda have mixed feelings about having PCOS...I know it's common and can cause alot of problems for people TTC, but the doc didn't seem too concerned and seems to think that it shouldn't be a problem if I take the metformin. (just noticed how I spelled it before...lol, I can spek and speel inglish goodly :wacko:)
And I'm just so releived that I have answers as to why it's taking so long to conceive...but at the same time, I'm being cautious in getting my hopes up, I know we're only just starting this stage of our journey...

Thankyou for your response =) It's put my mind at ease! :dust:

Oobies - I wasn't having cycles AT ALL (no af, no ovulation, nothing) before I started taking metformin. Within 3 months time, my hormones were back to normal, my insulin resistance was down by a 3rd, and it had helped me lose 52 pounds. My cycles returned full force and I know that because I got pregnant. Sadly that pregnancy ended in a miscarriage, so not a complete success, but I credit the metformin that I even got to that point. Truly, I can't say enough good things about metformin!

I've not been posting here all that much with everything that's been going on, but I'm now fully back in the game. We finally got our negative hpt after the miscarriage just yesterday, so hopefully my body will gear up and ovulate in the next couple weeks! Game on!

oobies i have been on metformin now 500 mg 2xday for about 6 weeks i have noticed within a few weeks changes. I finally got ewcm for the first time in months
i love the changes it has done for me.

good luck
welcome back dodge lots of babydust to you (and us all)

Hey all well I've been diagnosed with pcos this week be and partner been trying three years now and in stages of completing the papaer work for the funding for iui! The one this is I don't have cysts, just everything else any one the same!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->