PCOS? help!

Destiny08

Reaction score
Hi!
OK, so I have been on and off of these forums since I got pregnant with my DD about 5 years ago, and stopped coming on probably about a year ago, as I was struggling!

Long story short, we started trying for number 2 when DD was 18 months old and it just didn't happen. We discovered I had PCOS and well, psychological trauma from the birth of my daughter (I'm actually getting a call next week from a therapist about addressing that.)

So next month would be 3 years since we started trying...and this morning I realised I was at least 3 days late for AF...took a test...and it came back positive.

So obviously I'm SO excited...but I'm terrified now of the risk of miscarriage...by my calculations, I would be 5 weeks pregnant (ie I ovulated between 18 and 21 days ago) but is the risk of miscarriage higher for me?

Also, I haven't taken my metformin in about 2 weeks as well...I kept forgetting and then thought since I had ovulated anyway, it's not a massive issue. That said, my hormone levels are only very slightly abnormal (to the point where 1 doctor wouldn't diagnose me as having PCOS, but a second did - but only because of the cysts on my ovaries)

Do I wait to see my GP before deciding anything? Or should I start taking metformin again? (I've heard it lowers the chance of miscarriage?) Of course I'll be going to buy folic acid this afternoon and I'll start taking that immediately, but please help!

Anyone who has any advice...I've been waiting for this for almost 3 years now...I don't know if I could bear losing this baby lol

TIA :flower:

:wave: hello fellow pcos'er.

I believe there may be some correlation between pcos and a higher risk of MC, however, correlation is not causation and Im on my 3rd baby with no MC that i know of.

As far as the met goes, it can reduce the risk, but since youve been off of it for a few weeks, Id call your doctor and see what they say. Id imagine theyd either have you continue taking it as prescribed, or at least work your way up to your prescribed dosage. I doubt theyd tell you to stop taking it all together.

Definitely get some prenatals and try to relax. :hugs: and congrats!

Hi! I have pcos too. I don't know much about the risks but I've never had any problems in my pregnancy's that are a result of pcos. As for your medication I'd call your doctor and seek advise.
Try to relax and not worry too much (although harder said than done). Congratulations xx

Thanks for your replies :) I stopped to see a couple of pharmacists yesterday and they all said to stay off it, at least until I see my GP on Monday.
I also took 6 more pregnancy tests lol. All different brands...all positive. and clearly positive! After 3 years of trying, I still don't think I quite believe it lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->