PDG without ICSI?

s08

Finally a mom!
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has done chromosomal screening, but NOT done ICSI with it.

We are considering a third fresh IVF cycle, but with PDG this time to rule out genetic issues after all of our early losses. We've never done ICSI and always had pretty good fertilization rates with conventional insemination (16 fertilized out of 23 retrieved, and 5 fertilized out of 8 retrieved). I had a consult with a different clinic, and they require ICSI with PGD. But this is a significant additional expense when we pay out of pocket, so was wondering if anyone had done chromosomal screening without ICSI.

The reason this new clinic requires ICSI apparently is because the results are much less reliable if you do chromosomal screening without ICSI. When there are multiple sperm around an egg (as in conventional insemination), they release their own chromosomal information. There ends up being DNA residue from the sperm which causes contamination. Anyone else heard this?

We are doing ICSI this month (first time), my husband had to do Chromosomal screening beforehand. The blood test took about 21 days. I believe this is standard procedure to know the chromosomal status before they will start. My clinic did not mention anything about a compulsory screening of the embryos. If they do screen your embryos you will be able to know the sex of your embryo and possibly if there are any gene defects.

We did genetic testing of our embryos, but we did do ICSI as well. I was never under the impression that it was a requirement to do both together, but I'm not certain as ICSI was recommended for both of our IVF cycles. Best of luck with your cycle. :hugs:

S08 - we have never done PGD/PGS though we may do this time or in the future if we get another failure. We have been told (and I understand this from my best friend who did do PGD on her ICSI embryos) that you can only do the genetic testing if you have done ICSI. We weren't given a specific reason, but we understand we have no choice. For us, we have to use ICSI anyway, so it makes no difference. Wishing you all the luck in the world! Xoxo

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

Hi CAV. My husband and I have both been through the genetic testing ourselves; I am strictly talking about PGD/PGS (chromosomal testing of the embryos). We’ve never had our embryos genetically tested, as we’re relatively young and it’s extremely expensive. I hope you are lucky on your first cycle!

Disney, thanks so much for your reply. And congratulations on your daughter!

Psalm, I so hope that you are successful this cycle and don’t have to worry about genetic testing! What stage in the process are you now?

I did learn more today about whether ICSI is a requirement or not. I had a follow up appointment with my RE who has done all my IVF cycles to date. I guess it is a clinic-by-clinic policy. My current clinic does not require ICSI with genetic testing. Apparently, it used to be mandatory, but the outside lab they use for the screening no longer requires it.

s08 - Best of luck with your next cycle. As CAV previously mentioned, genetic screening also provides gender information about each embryo. We decided to do our transfer based on embryo quality /grade, but it was kinda cool to know that DD was a she right from the start. We were able to take advantage of a lot of Christmas-time sales. I wish you the best! :hugs:

Hey we will be doing a fifth ivf cycle with a new clinic. We have to do icsi due to bad sperm. But as I've had many losses (2 mc and 2 Chem before my son then 2 mc and 2 Chen after my son) pgd/pgs is pretty much are only hope now. Idk if it's requires but like my clinic they pretty much do it for everyone and the prices is equal without since 80% of cycles were icsi. Idk about the dna issues without icsi? I would have to research more. If they are extracting a cell at day 5 then the way it was fertilized shouldn't be an issue IMO.

Hi MoBaby. Thanks for replying. I remember you from quite a few previous threads. Good luck to you as you change clinics! How are you feeling about moving? Have you done all your cycles with one clinic? We're considering moving, hence the consult with another clinic. But I'm not unhappy with my current clinic or my RE, so I'm really torn. I just hate doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, you know? And its such a big financial commitment to have nothing to show for it. The new RE would put me on all kinds of additional meds for empiric purposes (Lovenox, baby aspirin, etc.). My current RE would not since all my RPL bloods come back normal, but agreed to prescribe them if I wanted. At this point, why not try? Ahh, this is all so overwhelming. Rant over...

I'm like you. I like my current re. The clinic not as much (billing, some the nurses) but my re has offered me all he can do. He isn't super aggressive. He won't treat me for any immune issues because testing is normal. He also won't recommend pgs for us. Also the last transfer I felt as something was off but he kept insuring me all was okay and perfect and look where I am. I've done 10 transfers with him. Yes he gave me my beautiful son but after everything that I've had happen I think a new set of hands and eyes and someone who will be super super aggressive with me. That's what I want. The new re im seeing again (never treated me) was willing to be more aggressive and I liked how he was upfront with us. It will be super expensive as we are all out of pocket too but I feel like we need to try at least once with someone else.

Psalm, I so hope that you are successful this cycle and don’t have to worry about genetic testing! What stage in the process are you now?

Hi there so8. I hope so too! What a struggle we put ourselves through, but I just know that we will get our forever wish in the end. I am actually starting stims tonight for our 3rd cycle. I am excited to get started and of course, nervous too. We have to pay for the whole cycle out of pocket and that just makes it seem all too real. Sending you lots of hugs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->