• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

People from Wales and Surrounding ...

polo_princess

♥ Brookes Mummy ♥
Reaction score
HELP :grr:

On Gavin and Stacey theres this little joke thing but i totally dont get it and it baffles me every time

Theres this guy on here called Owain Hughes and everytime someone says his name they go "Owain Hughes ... and before you ask no he doesnt"

Anyone else get it because i sure dont :rofl: :rofl:0.

I assumed it was because Owain Hughes sounds like "Owe Wayne Hughes" as in "Owe Wayne Hughes [money]?" "No he doesn't". I can't think what else it would be.

I'm not really sure to be honest, it's not a very good play on words because Owain is pronounce Oh-Wine in Welsh, but for the life of me I can't think of what else it could be. Most people I know are baffled by the joke LOL!

I think that's the point. It doesn't make any sense. NO one gets it! (apart from Uncle Bryn and other welshie's so gavin is made to feel more like an outsider!!)

Me and My OH dont get it :shrug: Dont think its a welsh joke just a joke thats not funny!!

LOL Holly! I was gonna come on here and ask that too but kept forgetting!

Me neither and its driving my sister nuts!! She googled it and it explained and she still dont get it :rofl:

My hubby is Welsh....nope there is nothing in it as far as him his mates and family can see and some of them are welsh fluent etc.

its just something put in there to exaggerate Gavin's awkwardness in Wales.

My OH got told by his welsh friend that Owain somehow (and I'm not sure which way) to smells or smelly or something like that. So it would be Smelly Hughes..........or Owain smelly/smells etc.

I had no idea what it meant when I heard it either :dohh:

xx

Rob Brydon said in an interview (actualy, could have been twitter) that it meant absolutely nothing, which i'm glad he clarified because I studied welsh for 6 years and I couldn't figure it out either!

hope this helps :) https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091127084918AAHFi3p

i dont get it either :haha: maybe thats the whole point of it?! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hayley1990
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"