Perineal massage... worth bothering?

I'm also wondering if the olive oil or whatever oil can cause an infection if you actually smear it around on the inside. Then there would be an infection where the baby's head is to come out. That doesn't sound good. I think I may just stick to massaging with oil on the outside and stretching the inside part while I'm, well, uhm, lubricated by my own means while turned on.

It really shouldn't cause any problem but if you are worried you can buy specific perineal massage oil or "medical" olive oil available from most chemists - I guess you could use lube instead too.

The you tube video I watched recently mentioned you can use regular lubricant gels too.

Haha, my husband and I have been doing this all wrong. Thanks for the instructions! :)

I didn't do it and I didn't really tear so I won't be doing it this time either. It looks like quite hard work too, don't fancy it!

I'm also wondering if the olive oil or whatever oil can cause an infection if you actually smear it around on the inside. Then there would be an infection where the baby's head is to come out. That doesn't sound good. I think I may just stick to massaging with oil on the outside and stretching the inside part while I'm, well, uhm, lubricated by my own means while turned on.

It really shouldn't cause any problem but if you are worried you can buy specific perineal massage oil or "medical" olive oil available from most chemists - I guess you could use lube instead too.

The you tube video I watched recently mentioned you can use regular lubricant gels too.

Olive oil is completely natural and readily digested and absorbed by our bodies (and our babies!) so it will not cause infection. DH and I used to use it as a lubricant since most store bought options are full of chemicals and fragrance.

I am thinking of trying out this massage...well, getting DH to try it! But still early, I guess???

It's not intended to stretch things out and loosen them in preparation for labour, as that skin is meant to thin out on its own. It can go translucent thin. Think onion skin. What perineal massage is meant to do is make you aware of pressure in that area, aware of the sensations, so that when it's time for you to birth baby, you can let baby's head emerge slowly, gently stretching the skin and hopefully not tear. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->