Perineal Massage

redneckhippy

Reaction score
My MW recommends that I should be doing perineal massage to help prevent tearing. I got some Vitamin E oil from Trader Joe's and I tried to do it, but I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to be doing down there. Do I just rub the oil in like I'm putting lotion on my hands? Should I be going internally? How long should I be doing it for?

My MW recommends that I should be doing perineal massage to help prevent tearing. I got some Vitamin E oil from Trader Joe's and I tried to do it, but I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to be doing down there. Do I just rub the oil in like I'm putting lotion on my hands? Should I be going internally? How long should I be doing it for?

Stalking this thread because I'm wondering the exact same thing!!

You want to be a bit more firm when rubbing it in. massage both interally and the area between the vagina and anus ( the perineum) the goal is to massage it so the skin/muscle becomes more supple allowing for more stretching during delivery. If your oh will help, makes it a bit easier.

I just can't reach! I tried last pregnancy and still ended up with a second degree tear. Really meant to try harder this time round but haven't :-(

I was just looking this up. I found this: https://www.ivillage.com/perineal-massage-your-how-guide/6-n-145602

It looks a little daunting, but I think it'll be worth it.

We just learned about this in hypnobirthing! They advised using your thumb (if you stay standing, resting one leg on the toilet seat, or a chair it will make access easier), inserting it as far as the 1st knuckle and rubbing gently in a 'U' shape. Your partner can use one or two fingers, inserting to the 2nd knuckle and massaging in the same manner. Hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->