Petrified about the birth

even the crowning wasn't painful with an epidural, for me. pushing was hard work and tiring but I barely felt a thing. if you're nervous I recommend epidural!

well in all fairness, they switch the epidural down a bit when you push so you can work with the contractions and my epidural stopped working in one leg, so I did have a lot of pain there, also I had to push for 1.5 hours so that was hard work. still thank G-D for the epidural.

Its completely normal to feel nervous about giving birth once you get so close to your due date, Im due baby #4 in 2 weeks and Im still nervous, Iv'e done it 3 times already you'd think i'd be a pro by now:haha:

Seriously though dont worry about the pushing its the best part of labour, crowning does sting but it only lasts a few minutes and then you are holding your baby, when the time comes stay calm focus on one contraction at a time and rest as much as you can inbetween,if the midwife helps you with timing when you are using G&A it really helps.

You'll do great hun :hugs:

Its making me nervous but not so scared because either way its gonna happen so i cant really say im not doing this lol. Im gonna go with the flow everyone says you will not even think about the pain after. Im pretty much going in with an open mind and do what i gotta do to get through it woo

I am sooooooo petrified aswell!!!!!!!!!!!!! I keep going through moments of wanting it to happen and then changing my mind!!!! I went for my labour tour and instead of feeling better about everything it made me worse!!!!! Someone pointed out to me recently, that the hours of labour are so small in comparison to the life with your child. U will get through it hun, and as everyone has said as soon as u hold your little girl it will all be worthwhile!

Thanks ladies, it's so nice to have the support, to know I'm not the only one and to hear about coping strategies!

all i'll be thinking about during labour (apart from OMFG this hurts - why did i want a home birth with only gas and air?? lol) is that every second of every minute i get closer to meeting my baby and finally discovering the sex!

*hugs 10th*

you'll do fine, and then you'll think afterwards - well, that wasn't sooooooo bad :)

(of course these are all just in my head as i'm already contemplating getting this baby to bash daddy in the nuts and put him out of action so we only ever have the one child, the pains i'm already getting are making me go ouchie!)

I never thought about the pain of labour, just the excitment of seeing my LO. When it came to it, I was very lucky and found I was able to detach myself from what was going on throughout the contractions and the pushing and didn't really feel any pain. Not quite the same when it came to baby crowning though, I just couldn't do it! Baby sat there for 30mins with everyone telling me 'just one more push and baby will be here', but I just wouldn't do it, I fought it all the way. I can't believe I coped so well with all the pain up to that point, but was terrified of that one last push. The midwife kept running her fingers round the edge of babys head to help her out, and it hurt like hell, but still I wouldn't push her out. In the end I got told it had been to long and if I didn't push her out then they would need to assist as she was getting distressed. So I did. What alot of fuss about nothing, the pain is momentary, as soon as buba is here you just don't care. I really wasn't as bad as what my head was telling me it would be. Try not to think about it hon, you'd be suprised at how well you cope. The more you worry about it, the worse you are going to make it for yourself. It WILL happen, you CAN cope, and believe me you DO forget about it :LOL:
:hugs:

dnt worry about it. it wont be anywere as near bad as you think its going to be.
just dont listen to anybodys terrible birth stories :)
i was terrified aswell, was ready to run out of the hospital a few times wen i went in to be induced as the labour was all i could think about, i think its just being scared of not knowing whats going to happen,
but once it happens you dont even think about it your just dying to meet your Lo :D
and i done the whole labour with gas and air and the pethidine jag.(and im a baby when it comes to pain, well least i thought i was until i gave birth and never made a sound.lol)

so dont work yourself up thinking about it, you will be fine xx

the pushing out is the best bit.. it might be the sorest, but for me i barely noticed the pain at that stage, because you are SO focused on pushing, and you are actually doing something productive rather than just being in pain...

i was like you hun, i was PETRIFIED.. to the point where i wasnt sleeping etc for worrying about it, i was convinced something would go wrong, or id have a really hard difficult labour with all sorts of intervention and drugs... the reality was a very straightforward water birth with only gas and air! i never ever believed that i could have done it like that but i did! i wont lie.. it hurts like hell, but i loved every minute of it! i wish i could do it again tomorrow, and that was with a back to back labour, and a 2nd degree tear.. honest hun, dont listen to the scary stories and focus on the positive ones.. its an absolutly amazing magical experience, and just try your best to enjoy it, because once its over its over!

I'm absolutely petrified!!!

But Im trying to think of it like this, It's going to be worthit. It's not pointless pain, there's a huge reward at the end of it which will make it all worthwhile.
I think it's not knowing what to expect also that is the scariest!!
Good luck hun, you'll be fine.

Some people do actually have good births.
I think we all, especially when having our first child concentrate on the bad stuff.
The thing being, this is not something you get to do may times in your life, and it actually is a life changing moment. Why not try to focus on that fact. Its something you will only experience a few times and i think if you go in positively, and looking forward to the moment it does help. I really had this attitude when having my first, i was so excited and couldnt wait to give birth.

I had a very quick and easy labour, no contractions, waters broke, a touch of pressure before he came out and then 3 pushes and he was here. It took 2 hours total, no pain relief, nor crying. I was actually very surprised afterwards it was not what i had expected at all.
Im not telling you to show off, i just want to say its not all bad. Infact im surprised by how many people have actually been like me and had nice births.

Wow, skellys, thanks, that's an amazing birth story and def gives me something positive to focus on!
Thanks all of you, it's so lovely being able to hear other people's positiv e experiences - and the fact that having the baby in your arms is actually like a sort of pain relief is great!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->