Pets (mainly cats)

fingers_x'd

Reaction score
Hey all

Just a quick query really. I'm now 8 weeks pregnant and as this is my first time I'm understandably extremely nervous about not making any major mistakes :wacko:

I have 2 female cats, both aged about 4 nearly 5 and they've been my babies throughout the long and hard 3 and a bit years that me and df have been trying to conceive. The hardest part is I don't want them to feel neglected in anyway now that I am pregnant and once little one has arrived.

Can anybody advise me with regards sleeping arrangements? I keep them out of the bedroom during the day and for most of the night but they are waking me up at 3am meowing and scratching at the door. Due to the high level of hormones my body's in I'm letting them in because I cannot bear to listen to them plus they wake me up!!! I am also finding that as I'm on annual leave from work this week that I'm sleeping on the sofa and wake up and sometimes one of my cats is asleep next to me. IS THIS DANGEROUS?? I know it will not be an option to have the cats in the bedroom once little one is here but is it now???

Any answers will be greatly appreciated

xxxx

there's nothing wrong with your cats being around you, you just have to be careful of their litter due to toxaplamosis, if that's spelt correctly!
Although trust me, their little paws will hurt you if they decide to climb on your boobs as my little boy always chooses to when he wants a cuddle!
Maybe whilst you're off (and if you're OH can sleep through it) it's worth getting them used to not being them in your bedroom now to save hassle in the future, and if you don't have to be up in the morning then you don't have to worry how long they try to sound pathetic for.
and just remember you're not doing them any harm, they're just trying to get their own way, sneaky little beggars so they are!

Hi! I have a cat and I don't think you need to worry about them sleeping next to you! It's absolutely not dangerous to have them about while your pregnant or even after the baby is born. The only thing they tell you to avoid is changing the cat litter - if they are indoor cats then you should get your OH to do this for the next 9 months.

I do think it'll be worth you training them now not to scratch or wake you up at 3am. It'll be easier dealing with their demands now rather than when the baby arrives or even in a few months when you're further into your pregnancy and needing your sleep. There are a few books you can buy that'll help you train them but you can probably get a lot of hints and tips off of the internet too.

We have 3 dogs and a cat (amongst other animals!) ... my cat is a complete sod!! Until recently our bedroom door had warped and didn't close so we wedges it shut at night ... the cat would shoulder barge the door until it opened!

Door is now fixed and he can scratch all he likes but there's not way he's sleeping with us! I'm not a fan of cat hair and uddy paw print on my bed (and less so the half rabbit he left me the other week!).

We don;t have cat litter in the house but I will careful to keep doors shut where needed to ensure he doesn't find a warm and comfy place in with the baby! He's actually more trouble than the dogs are I think!x

Hi,

I've just found out i'm pregnant through IVF, i'm about 7 weeks and have 3 cats.

My cats are my babies and nothing is going to change for me in the way I treat them except one thing; the litter tray. We have to stay away from their poo, but the litter tray is something I am more than happy to hand over to DH!

There is absolutely no risk to you as you have lived happily with your cats for however long. If you change your behaviour by shutting them out of rooms suddenly or not allowing them on the sofa they will start to feel that something is wrong, and cats are such creatures of habit that it will make them anxious.
Making cats anxious will only lead to them changing their behaviour and sometimes this means they get destructive or marking their territory to reassure themselves.

All my cats are rescue, and I have nursed 2 of them back from ill health (and bonkers behaviour) to be really strong and healthy cats. They sleep on my bed, on my pillow, on the sofa, on my tummy and will continue to do so all the way through and will remain as important to me when the buba (s) (might be twins!) arrive.
In fact during my 2ww I credit one of them for keeping my beans warm and helping them to stick, as she sat on my tummy all the time.

They are incredibly perceptive animals and it sounds like they are trying to reassure you and support you. You're lucky they just want a cuddle, one of mine reassures me by bringing me a mouse or two!

I hope this helps and that I don't come across as too preachy, but I have such strong views on this.

I have gone through 2 IVF's to get here and I wouldn't risk anything now, but I do believe that people have been having babies for centuries and we obsess about far too much.

Liz x

Hi all

Thanks for all the advice. I think that I will try my darndest not to give into their demands (just was terrified that this may affect them by them feeling neglected!!! I'm too soft really)

My oh is changing the litter trays cos of the toxaplasmosis. I've got my first appointment with the midwife next Friday and can request a blood test to see if I've had toxaplasmosis before and if I am immune to it now.

Will keep you all posted xxxxx

To LizzB - I agree with your viewpoints hence why I was seeking advice. Me and my oh were 2 weeks off our next IVF appointment and I was a good 2 weeks late (nothing really abnormal) so on taking a test and seeing a positive I was pretty gobsmacked!!!

I agree with your comments "I do believe that people have been having babies for centuries and we obsess about far too much".

Thanks so much for your advice and all the best to you and your dh and your little bean xxxx

Wow, that's amazing! You must have been so surprised, you hear stuff like that but don't think it will happen - congratulations.

My first IVF didn't work, so now we are so thrilled - we get to find out if it's twins or a singleton next week. Mind you given the crazy hunger i'm having and the fact that i can't stop running to the loo every 5 minutes makes me wonder!

God luck with yours!

Liz x

Are you asking of the cats sleeping next to you is dangerous? If thats the case then no.

The only two risks with cats and babies is in pregnancy the cat poo carrys something that can harm your baby, so makes sure your OH does the litter or you use gloves and washing your hands extra well.

The other harm is that cats have been known to smouther (sp?) babies when they are born, just because the seek out heat and cuddle into it.

I was never really too worried about this myself, we just told the cat no and she seemed to understand, we bought a cat net which we never used.

My cats sleep on my bump. Best to get them used to sleeping downstairs now as it wil b too much to cope with a baby up all night and crying cats. We did this first time around the cats soon get used to it. Cats and babies are fine just dont leave them in a rm alone. Some cats can b very clingy to pregnant ladies they pick up on hormones.

Your cats may want to be around you even more than normal BECAUSE of all the hormones! Seriously - my cat is all over me whenever I sit down. If I'm even slightly slouched he'll practically lay under my chin, across my chest!!!

They are totally fine to sleep near you etc. / you to stroke them etc. but if they have a litter tray - don't go near it yourself, get your OH to do it due to the risk of the toxoplasmosis (sp?).

Once baby is born, yes keeping them out of your room at night would be my recommendation. This is what we did when we had our son, but only for a few weeks as he went into his own room from about 9-weeks old. The cats were so grateful to be let back in!!!

My midwife said that she has never ever known a cat to jump in a moses basket / crib / cot whilst the baby is IN it. She believes its a silly story! But of course you have to watch them - you don't ever really know do you. And once bubs is not in the cot etc. they will jump in - ours certainly did anyway! Just watch for cat fur etc. near your newborn (especially if semi/long haired cats).

HTH!
xxx

I have two kids and three cats. Two cats were here when they were babies. They were so sweet to the babies, never even scratched them during the grabby toddler phase. I didn't keep them away from the babies, but they do get a lot less attention than prekids.

Your more likely to get toxoplasmosis from undercooked meat then your cats. Love on them all you want! I do. :p

Can anybody advise me with regards sleeping arrangements? I keep them out of the bedroom during the day and for most of the night but they are waking me up at 3am meowing and scratching at the door. Due to the high level of hormones my body's in I'm letting them in because I cannot bear to listen to them plus they wake me up!!!
xxxx

The guy on My Cat From Hell used this motion-activated air blaster to train one woman's cat who would sit outside her bedroom door and howl:

https://www.amazon.com/Innotek-SSSC...A95G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307557158&sr=8-1

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->