Phobia of dentists...what to do?!

jillypoop

Mummy of one
Reaction score
Hi guys

Well I've had a phobia of dentists since I was about 7 or 8 I think.

I've always had problems with my teeth and find it difficult to touch them, hate brushing them (I do, but not properly, I rush it if that makes sense).

Just after christmas, I chipped a tooth and had to get an emergency temporary one put in. As I'm not working, I was put onto the NHS waiting list because I couldn't afford to go private.

This hasn't really bothered me apart from the truly awful woman that put it in who had a go at me when I told her about my fear....

A couple of weeks ago I chipped another tooth by getting a large piece of peppercorn stuck in between them and somehow when it came out, brought part of my tooth with it. This hasn't hurt, and is mainly just annoying but haven't had it fixed as I don't have a dentist, can't go back to the emergency place because the girl was so awful and now, whilst eating my tea, the temporary one has started really aching.

I'm going to be brave tomorrow and ring up a private dentists in town, on the NHS website it says that they deal with people that are nervous.

Is there anyone else on here that deals with this? I haven't been to the dentists since I was 17 because my old dentist left and I didn't like the new one. Stupid I know but my teeth weren't bothering me then and am feeling the repercussions now!!

Is there anyone on here that is the same as me? Just not sure how I'm going to cope tomorrow... my dad is going with me and he just takes the piss out of me but its better than going alone!

What do I do? I can't eat but am soooo hungry and to top it off got a really sore throat which I think is the beginning of a cold :(

HELP!!!

Awww hun :hugs:
I really know how you feel. I am a dental nurse and work for the community dental services so have a great deal of contact with very nervous patients. From my experiance 'normal' nhs dentists just don't have the time to spend with nervous/anxious patients hence their bad reputations. You could always contact your local health authority or pct and find out if your area accepts nervous/anxious patients within the community setting. Every pct is different and some have differnet criterias. Go along tomorrow and explain your situation and that dentist may be able to put in a referral to the community service.
Good luck :hugs: and if you need to know anything else then feel free to pm me xxxx

Hey :)

thanks for posting.

I got given the temporary filling at the start of January, got told I NEEDED to see someone within 6 months, but as soon as possible. They put me on the dental direct database, I've emailed them but all they can say is that they have a waiting list and most people are on it for at least 6 months.

I want to get past this, I just have this awful phobia of sitting in the chair and not being able to move and really hoping that whoever I see tomorrow will understand. Feel awful that OH has to pay for it out of what little money he has but I can't eat so need it sorted.

What can I do about the pain in the meantime? It only hurts when I put pressure on it, so it's okay now but as soon as something touches it its painful, but my other chipped tooth is on the other side!!

Oh god, one day I will wake up and all my teeth will have fallen out, they're awful!!

grrr
xxx

hun im exactly the same im petrified of them and i keep grindin my teeth and chipping my teeth in my sleep so i had to go in as ive already done it to one other and now have to hve it removed when i pluck up courage...but when i went to the dentist she saw how scared i was and has referd me to be sedated..so t may be worth asking about cus they defo do it....im not sure how it works privatley as i still have my maternity expemption cert so i get it free on nhs. but i mean if they do it on nhs im sure they wil do it privatly.

my sister is also like me and she had been referd too and she sed its brilliant and u feel soo relaxed so im hoping it goes really well. xx

Well from what you have said it sounds like you have either cracked the root of the tooth or you have an abcess. I have had both happen to me and i can only sympathise with the pain. As the pain isn't there all the time then pain killers wouldn't do an awful lot. Private dentists should have the time to take it slowly with you. Explain your situation and exactly what it is you don't like and it really helps them to help you. Don't be embrassed as alot of peole are in the same situation.
Try to avoid that side until tomorrow and i really hope you get on ok. Again you are always welcome to pm me xxxx

The problem there is that I'm petrified of the thought of being sedated! I think I would rather be awake and scared.

When I really think about it (don't like to!!) I think it was when I got 2 teeth taken out when I was 7, can't remember why but that has always stayed with me.

The thing that worries me is that none of my teeth are good, I'm so scared they'll tell me I need dentures! I can't have dentures at 20!

I grind my teeth when I'm asleep too, didn't realise until I met OH and he told me lol!

xxx

Well from what you have said it sounds like you have either cracked the root of the tooth or you have an abcess. I have had both happen to me and i can only sympathise with the pain. As the pain isn't there all the time then pain killers wouldn't do an awful lot. Private dentists should have the time to take it slowly with you. Explain your situation and exactly what it is you don't like and it really helps them to help you. Don't be embrassed as alot of peole are in the same situation.
Try to avoid that side until tomorrow and i really hope you get on ok. Again you are always welcome to pm me xxxx

I don't think its an abcess as I had one when I was little and remember that!!!

The problem is that the temporary filling is on one side and the tooth I chipped a couple of weeks ago, is on the opposite side so can't really eat without being in pain!!!

Oh well I might be able to fit into my old jeans if I don't get an appointment for a couple of days!!!

thanks hun :) You've made me feel a bit better, just worried about what the dentist will be like.

yer see when i was little i had to have an injection and the dentist showed me and apparently i screamed and was in that much shock the dentist sed not to bring me back for a few years lol...needless to say it never left me....i no how u feel with ur teeth tho hun it gets me down so much tho that sumitmes i brush mine like 3times a day and i still have shit teeth...but my sister is in ur boat bless her her teeth r bad tho. se wants u no those implant things so shes going to be looking into that xx
good luck hun hope it goes okis xx

I really feel for you i'm also terrified of Dentists and have had a few bad experiences, a few of my teeth crumbled during both my pregnancies as well so i had quite a few back ones out i'm very careful what i eat now i can't face having more out i'll have none left. I have to be sedated which is done thru the nhs and its fine they just put a canula in the back of my hand and chat to me while they are putting the stuff in and yes i'm nervous about that part but its so quick and before i know it its all over and i have no memories of what they've done i highly recommend it, good luck with finding a dentist i know its hard and good luck with your treatment x

I'm not scared of the actual sedation but have been told that you get quite pukey after it which I have a phobia of (I'm a complete scaredycat but thankfully haven't thrown up for 3 years!!)

Going to ring up in 5 minutes for an appointment, aah!
xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->