Phone call about computer

R_x

Reaction score
Just had a phone call saying my computer is at risk. What the hell? Help...?

It's a scam... Have a look at this article...

https://m.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/18/phone-scam-india-call-centres

My friends mum fell for a scam like this and ended up paying scammers some money.

Ignore it, its a scam call, whatever you do don't give them any information or money.

My Mum used to get them from people claiming to be Microsoft all the time saying there was threats/virus's or the computer had been hacked and they would either ask her for money to fix it, or ask her to allow them remote access to the computer. Luckily she knew straight away it was a scam.

Yes they used to ring us all the time till I shouted at them on the phone and called them scammers. They may keep ringing u, just say u have a mac

Thanks, I was thinking scam but was worried about my computer. He wanted me to turn in on but said to call back later. Even if there was something wrong I'd be taking it to pc world not sorting it over the phone lol :flower:

We keep getting calls like that, I just tell them we have a mac or no computer!

Indeed it can be very dangerous. They will 1. gain remote access to your computer 2. make you pay for the privilege :wacko: Personally I don't answer the phone if I don't know who it is, and I google the phone number. I have a long blacklist in my phone :D I would always abstain from giving any personal details on the phone, and never be feel pressured (even by legit companies) to give details without looking into it first.

ugh we had these muppets ring as well. I just hung up on them. Our pc is fine *touch wood*

I just said we had no computer apart from work one and that was looked after by IT experts so i knew for a fact there were no problems

Thanks, I was thinking scam but was worried about my computer. He wanted me to turn in on but said to call back later. Even if there was something wrong I'd be taking it to pc world not sorting it over the phone lol :flower:

I wouldnt go to pc world, they are normaly just as useless as the scammers :)
We had this call once so I just handed the phone to lo who spent 15 mins just going yep, yep, yep :)
At the end of this guy running off his spill I just took the phone back and said "oh didmt I mention in the begining, I dont own a pc" and hung up.

These things are scary. He really wanted me to turn it on. But I never. Phew :haha:

I think I would of been tempted to play dumb and pretend to turn it on just to see where it takes me :haha:

I think I would of been tempted to play dumb and pretend to turn it on just to see where it takes me :haha:

Yes, I would have asked how on earth microsoft is ringing me when my OS is linux :rofl:

I got so annoyed with them consistaty ringing me I blacklisted myself. I had a massive argument with a rather cocky guy who really did think he knew what he was talking about. He kept saying its our windows 7, I just said to himwe don't have windows 7 he was like how do u not have windows 7 I told him we never upgraded and if he knows all the issues with our computer and from Microsoft he should know what we have.

Never had a call since

I had one of them call when I was visiting my mam. She answered the phone and passed it on to me. I said I don't have a pc, I have a mac and they STILL tried to dupe me! I got rather shitty with him saying he was wasting my time blah blah blah and he hung up xD don't think they've called again since (yet again my mam doesn't answer the phone at all nowadays).

A friends Dad has to be the funniest guy I've ever known when he gets scam or annoying sales calls. Yesterday they had a call from some injury lawyers saying they heard he recently had an accident and he was like 'Oh yes it was horrendous I knew this would travel fast' and they asked if anyone injured would like to claim and he said he wasn't injured as such but he couldn't work the next day because of shock and he still shakes thinking about it, and they asked what had happened and he came out with 'Well i had only had the new teapot 1 day and i don't know what happened it went so fast, the spout just fell off! tea everywhere! it was a disaster!' and needless to say they hung straight up haha :rofl:
Another friend of mine just sits asking them if they like turtles until they hang up :wacko: :haha:

I just use the good old line 'fuck off' and hang up on them

I just use the good old line 'fuck off' and hang up on them

Don't mince your words do you? :haha:

There was a time where I used to think about there actually being a real person on the end of the line, and that as such I should talk to them with respect. Then I woke up, they are trying to CON us so yeah, straight to the point nowadays

I was stringing one along the other day, he just happened to phone on the day we had a new laptop arriving, so when he rang about my computer I was like ohit hasn't arrive yet, are you from the courier company? It's not something on their script so he was totally lost :haha: then I resorted to the good old eff off

A scam call! Had one like that, too. Scammer claimed he was from Microsoft and that I got virus on my computer "that's been sending security alerts to them."

And I was like, "How come?!? You're from Microsoft but I got a Mac. You don't handle that, do you?"

Scammer hung up. LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"