• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

physiological or managed third stage???

SO how much work is involved if you DONT have the injection? After pushing a baby out, I dont know if I want to carry on pushing afterwards, but like I said before, Im pretty convinced that injection makes me very very sick.

I had a physiological 3rd stage and we agreed to play it by ear if the MW thought managing it would be helpful with blood loss. The cord pulsed for exactly 10 mins at which point the MW said 'try a gentle push' and out slithered the placenta. My lochia stopped after 5 days.....another welcomed side effect!

Why do midwives not wait for it to stop? I feel bad that I never did with my two kids, but I also didnt know about it! I will definately ask for them to wait with this baby, but I would rather that it was just what was done anyway.

No you're mis reading that - it DID stop of it's own accord - I'm just saying it was only 10 mins for my whole natural 3rd stage! There's no way I would have cut it or stopped it pulsing. We waited and it stopped after 10 mins at which point the MW asked me to try a little push :)

Sorry, I must have worded it stupidly. I knew what you meant. I meant, why, in hospitals, do midwives clamp and cut straight away? Why dont they wait until it has finished pumping?

I think it depends on your area - I had my second baby in a birth centre attached to a hospital and they let the cord pulse there too. It's crazy that they dont leave it to pulse as standard though I agree. Cutting it before all the blood has passed across it is effectively like the baby hemorrhaging....ie they are missing part of their new blood supply.

SO how much work is involved if you DONT have the injection? After pushing a baby out, I dont know if I want to carry on pushing afterwards, but like I said before, Im pretty convinced that injection makes me very very sick.

Sorry if a bit gross, but I would liken the sensation to perhaps pulling out a Super Plus Tampax!!! So, not painful at all - you don't have to strain to push like you do when birthing your baby. It's just a slight push (like when you poo!!).You can feel that something is coming out, but as the placenta is completely soft, it does just slip out! Again, sorry ladies if this has sounded grim! But hey, once you've had a baby, you tend to talk about all of this quite matter-of-factly! x

So its not going to be much different from the two times I have had the injection? Im really worrying about it already, more so than giving birth, because it goes on for hours and I cant hold the baby :(

Sorry if a bit gross, but I would liken the sensation to perhaps pulling out a Super Plus Tampax!!! So, not painful at all - you don't have to strain to push like you do when birthing your baby. It's just a slight push (like when you poo!!).You can feel that something is coming out, but as the placenta is completely soft, it does just slip out! Again, sorry ladies if this has sounded grim! But hey, once you've had a baby, you tend to talk about all of this quite matter-of-factly! x

So its not going to be much different from the two times I have had the injection? Im really worrying about it already, more so than giving birth, because it goes on for hours and I cant hold the baby :(

I dont understand what you mean? Why couldnt you hold the baby?

Oh sorry I missed it out of my last post! :dohh: Its because I was constantly being sick which I think the injection caused.

Oh sorry I missed it out of my last post! :dohh: Its because I was constantly being sick which I think the injection caused.

How long after you gave birth did they decide to give you the injection? Did the midwives wait to see if you could deliver naturally? Not sure, but can the injection stall things a bit? It took 12 minutes for me to deliver the placenta naturally. x

I think they can administer it any time really - or so my MW told me. we decided to have the injection on stand by as it *can* help if you bleed more than they'd like you to :)

How long after you gave birth did they decide to give you the injection? Did the midwives wait to see if you could deliver naturally? Not sure, but can the injection stall things a bit? It took 12 minutes for me to deliver the placenta naturally. x

I cant really remember with my first child, but with nymber two, I think it was quite literally just as he was coming out. No, there was no talk of seeing if I could do it naturally. Cord was cut straight away too, which Im quite sad about now.

in most trusts they ask you if you want the injection.. talk about the side effects of not having the injection so that the women usually chooses to have it! then they clamp and cut the cord straight away, though some places are starting to wait a couple of minutes first... if that's any consolation lol a measly 2 minutes.

the reason the cord is clamped and cut so soon for the majority of women... is because the majority of women have a managed third stage, not natural. they need to cut the cord to stop the drug going to the baby!

also generally eaasier and more conveniant for midwives. for example how society is nowadays if they left the cord to pulse for longer there can be complications (too much bleeding, pph, jaundice etc) HOWEVER the benefits of cord blood greatly outweight the risks (in most peoples opinions) but you know what people are like these days they would be very quick to blame the midwives if anything happened so in general the third stage is managed unless the mother asks for physiological third stage.

guess thats what birth plans are for!

i didnt have a managed stage with my last baby, the placenta came out very easily although they were getting ready to inject due to blood loss. I also didnt bleed for as long after although i cant remember exactly how long, i remember heavily bleeding for no more than a few days then just brown discharge for a few days. none of this bleedng for 6weeks lark

I cant really remember with my first child, but with nymber two, I think it was quite literally just as he was coming out. No, there was no talk of seeing if I could do it naturally. Cord was cut straight away too, which Im quite sad about now.

If you choose not to do it naturally ask that they give you syntocinon IM instead of syntometrine. Syntometrine has a nasty side effect of raising your blood pressure very quickly causing you to became nauseous and sick. With ds I did active management, about 30 mins later I was vomiting every where, not nice!

With Mya I had a physiological 3rd stage, it lasted about 20mins, after the cord stopped pulsating it was clamped and cut and all I had to do was stand up and it literally fell out. Blood loss for both births were minimal.

Sorry Cupcake but the little image of you stood up and it falling out did make me giggle! :lol:

The reason the midwives clamp and cut with a managed third stage: When the artificial oxytocin is administered, it causes unusually strong uterine contractions. These contractions cause an increase of blood pressure flowing through the cord to the baby, In order to prevent this unnaturally fast increase in blood pressure and volume in the newborn, the cord is clamped and cut.

In a physiological thrid stage, the gentle uterine contractions stimulate gentle blood flow from the placenta to the baby, and the baby's vein is allowed ample time to regulate blood pressure, blood flow, and volume. As the placenta shrinks, it falls away naturally from the uterine wall. If the cord is not cut, the placenta is significantly smaller, and you won't have as much risk of it being too big to come out through the cervix.

With my first, I had a managed third stage (against my will, I told the stupid people I didn't want the injection, and they said "Oh, we have to." grrr :growlmad:). I bled for an entire 6 weeks! This time (if I end up in the hospital), I will not allow them to go against my wishes. If they give me adequate reasons for a managed third stage, I will consider it, but if I don't give my consent and they proceed to do it anyways, they will find themselves with a very nasty lawsuit! /rant

I am going to mention this when i see my midwife i am hoping for a home birth and i think i like the sound of a natural third stage..

ohh thats a good point about the bleeding! though the bleeding may be more at the time after birth... in the weeks to follow it is significantly less if you didn't have the jab. so it all evens out in the end! lol xx

Hi

I had a managed third stage with all of mine; for various medical reasons (such as I always need stitches after each birth due to fast labours and unforseen circumstances such as the baby having both hands on his face; and they have to be done quite soon after in my case). They always asked for my consent and gave me the option of not having it but I just ended up doing so. I'll keep an open mind this time but if I have a very large placental site again and need stitches I'll just go for the injection.

Soph x

hehe :lol: It's weird when it comes out isnt it.....but the feeling when the body slithers out is unmistakable....I was waiting for it with Sidney.....I LOVE that weird sensation...

This has been an interesting read for us as we haven't been totally decided up until now.....thanks ladies :hugs:

xxx

This is all really interesting, I've got a while to go yet but I didn't realise there were different options for the 3rd stage. (Didn't even know much about the 3rd stage!) So this has been really useful, thank you! At least I now know when I make the choice it will be a little bit more informed! :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->