• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

physiological or managed third stage???

The fab thing when you have a great MW like you do Pops is that you really can play the whole thing by ear. I said I didnt mind which way we went and the MW said 'let's just see how it pans out' We did and even as we sat chatting while the cord pulsed I remember asking if there was a cut off to when they can give the syntometrine and she said 'not really although some would have you believe there is....' my blood loss was acceptable and the placenta came away easily with no help at all. It makes sense that if it's 'empty' and thinks it's work is done, it will want to let go given the time. There's no rush. :)

Can I ask does it make any difference if you've had an epidural or something like that? Or can you still do it naturally?

good question but you wouldnt have an epidural at home though would you.....

no but you can have a physiological third stage in hospital if you ask for it!

I was just thinking of worst case scenarios and just wondering even if for whatever reason you ended up in hospital having an epi could you still have the 3rd stage you wanted? Am very new to this so just asking... Hope that's ok? x

Of course it is! :D If you did end up transferring and there was no reason not to have a physiological 3rd stage I'm sure it would be fine. I imagine in most cases if you transfered as an emergency you might not be too concerned about the 3rd stage though.

True, wiiwidow if your transfered they may end up giving you a c section or something (they like to do them a lot for some reason lol!!). Or other complications which mean that the last thing on your mind will be the third stage. Make sure you think about it all in advance what you would / wouldn't do in certain situations and make your midwife aware and write it on your birth plan.

Very true! I guess your point about making sure it's in my birth plan and that they know my wishes is a good one. I guess I was just thinking if all else went to pot (don't know why I'm all negative tonight) it would be good if you could still get that last bit. It seems quite important to me! Thanks both :) xx

I agree - if it's in your plan and you do end up in hospital it's important to feel like you still have some control over things :)

This thread has been interesting as I haven't quite decided about this yet.

I think all the faffing about they do counters the effect of the drug and stalls the placenta for some women... maybe that is what happened to me. Regardless of which you choose, insist on a quiet environment and as much skin to skin and feeding as possible, as few people in the room as possible, and for anyone who does stay with you to keep a low profile....

STAY WARM. Tell DH in advance that after the baby is born he needs to turn the heating up or put a blanket round you or something. I've been reading a lot of Michel Odent stuff (who is on Facebook apparently! :) ) and keeping warm helps reduce your blood loss....

Hi, i have had the injection with my first child, and my placenta came away with 'ragged' edges, i was passing clots for 3 days, with my second child i had a water birth and a physiological 3rd stage, where my placenta came away complete, and it didn't take too long, maybe 5 -10 mins? i had to push twice i think, then it pretty much dropped out.

Oh, and if you keep warm, it helps your body release oxytocin, the natural hormone that helps your uterus contract and placenta fall away. It also aids in the bonding process with your LO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->