placenta previa and bleed at 17 weeks

amelia26

Reaction score
A scan at 14 weeks showed my placenta is low lying and completely covering the os - I.e. complete placenta previa. As it was so early I tried to put it out my mind until my follow up placental scan at 22 weeks - and hoped in the meantime it moved.

I'm 17+3 now and woke last night to a big, bright red bleed. Luckily I knew what was happening and why. I came onto labour ward and scan showed baby is fine. Cervix is closed, bloods and urine are fine. I've been admitted for 24 hours at least to make sure it stops - and it appears to have in the last couple of hours.

I'm just wondering what next now. Am I likely to get more bleeds? Will I need bedrest or long hospital stays? How early will I have to deliver? (And God forbid but of course it's posdible I will lose her).

Just feeling scared and vulnerable. It's my mum's funeral on Monday so obviously hoping to make it to that.

Hiya, i had a bleed last week at exactly 18 weeks (also big and bright red, scary!) and was kept in a couple of days, i didnt know i had PP but it was found on a scan the day after.

I was told to be on bed rest ideally until 24 weeks which seems a looooong time. Im not sure how possible that is as i have a nearly 3 and 5 year old so its a bit difficult!

The doctors told me that i should pretty much expect more bleeding but to only rush in if its bright red again, otherwise call day care or labour ward for reassurance and to see if they think i need to get checked out. They also said spotting is now going to be 'normal' for me.

I have my anatomy scan in 2 days and im curious to see if it will have changed at all within a week and a half, i am dreading the scan to be honest!

Yesterday the bleeding which had pretty much stopped started up again and i went in as i needed another anti-d, but this was dark brown so they said it was still old blood from my first bleed which must have 'pocketed', and since then the spotting is a little heavier which is just depressing but im putting it down to walking around the hospital/travelling there etc which has obviously stirred things up again!

Have you not been told any restrictions yet? It seems to differ hugely. Ive read quite a few posts and some women who bleed a lot are even told to carry on as normal, personally, i would feel uncomfortable with that!

I was also told that its too early to realistically worry about c-section as 95% of pp will move (im not sure how true this is but im hopeful!). Ill be having another scan at 24 weeks to see how things are going and then seeing the consultant/going from there.

Hope everything is going ok for you, im so sorry to hear you have your mums funeral, thats the last thing anyone would need to be going through while dealing with this. Just remember, there are SOOOOO many positive stories on here and elsewhere on the internet, even in some of the scarier stories where women have had to get c-sections at 24/25 weeks there are still positive outcomes.

If you need anyone to talk to im here...bored out of my brain in my bed!! :dohh:

Thanks for your reply and good luck for your scan.

I am home now. Bleeding is down to occassional brown spotting. They did an internal scan today and said the placenta is reaching the os but no longer covering. There is a large heamatoma in front of the placenta. They kept saying that it SHOULD resolve itself and things SHOULD be ok. It was clear it wasn't certain though.

I'm on antibiotics to prevent infection due to the size of the haematoma. Ive been told no sex, no heavy lifting and just generally take it easy - but not specifically bedrest

Glad to be home but feeling a bit unsure about things. I've got 20 week anatomy scan in 3 weeks and placental scan in 5 weeks. Both seem too far away!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->