Placenta Previa

Cazran25

Reaction score
Hi, I had my 20 weeks scan today which shower I have a complete placenta previa.

I'm going back at 28 weeks to check if it's moved but after stupidly googling it I'm now worried sick about the risks of bleeding, early delivery etc.

Lots of people have also mentioned pelvic rest but my doctor didn't mention this at all?

Any mums out there been through this & can offer any advice?

Thank you x

Yes I did. It moves out of the way most of the time so it shouldn't affect birth etc. Mine was partial and dr recommended pelvic rest and to limit activities

I haven't, but my friend has and she was in hospital for about 6 weeks before birth because it hadn't moved and she'd started bleeding. She had a c-section and hysterectomy - her choice, I hasten to add!

I had placenta previa with ds3. I had a scan 20 week scan and was told to go at 32 weeks where it was still a problem. I never asked how bad mine was but from what I could make out from my notes it wasn't complete. I too stupidly googled it after my 32 week scan and read all the horror stories so I phoned my midwife to speak to her. She told me it was nothing to worry about and as we had a holiday booked from before my pregnancy which meant flying at 34 and 35 weeks I was extra concerned but she said I was still able to fly even. However the day before the flight I went to pick up my 'fit to fly' letter and luckily saw a more senior midwife who was really concerned and listed everything I should have had but hadn't including consultant appointments and follow ups and she immediately made everything seem much more serious and scary (not to panic you) and looking back now luckily she told me not to fly. The day before my 36 scan I started bleeding extremely heavily at half 8 in the evening, by the time we got to the hospital it was literally pouring out of me and within 3 hours of being at the hospital I'd had an emcs and baby was taken straight to special care. He was in for two weeks but turned 1 on Tuesday and you'd never know how much he'd struggled.

I'm almost convinced my original midwife didn't take it seriously enough as I wasn't told to take anything easy at all and the lack of consultant appointments seemed to be down to her so I would definitely make contact with your midwife and be very clear about what is written in your notes. There does also seem to be big differences on the Internet as what advice people are given so im guessing each case is different

I had this at my 20 weeks scan but was resolved by 34 weeks.

Thanks ladies, I'm trying to stay positive but sort of feel like I'm putting life on hold until my next scan. We really want to book a long weekend away before we become a "4" but need to wait, the odds are I'm going to have bleeding at some point along with some hospital time. Wouldn't mind so much if I didn't have DD to look after, feel guilty I'm already limiting our activities x

Thanks ladies, I'm trying to stay positive but sort of feel like I'm putting life on hold until my next scan. We really want to book a long weekend away before we become a "4" but need to wait, the odds are I'm going to have bleeding at some point along with some hospital time. Wouldn't mind so much if I didn't have DD to look after, feel guilty I'm already limiting our activities x

I'd speak to your midwife rather than wait for your scan, she might give you some reassuring advice, plus it does move in the majority of cases so I wouldn't put your life on hold because of it

:wave: Sorry to gate crash but I had a scan yesterday which also said I have PP. Do you (any of you?) know if your placentas are / were anterior or posterior?

Anteriors have greater chance of moving because the uterus expands outwards and upwards, however mine is posterior and has less chances of moving.
I know at the 20 week scan they will 'grade' it and they should do a transvaginal scan to make sure it's definitely PP. Abdominal scans *can* get it wrong!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->