Planning ahead. Is it too soon?

cparks1

Reaction score
I have been thinking about all the baby furniture that we will be needing. We are going to need a crib, changing table, car seat, etc.... This list goes on and on. Has anyone else thought of this yet? My husband and I made an agreement that every time we go to Walmart that we are going to buy something for the baby, whether it's diapers, wipes, etc.... I'm just amazed at how much the big furniture costs. I don't want to go overboard, but I want to be well prepared cause I know once the baby gets here, money will be pretty tight. Am I already stressing too early? Has anyone bought any furniture yet or a car seat?

i started to buy things when i got to 12 wks if u get a bit each week u should ave all ur stuff by the end

How far are you? I have my pram already lol. I had it when I was 10WK :|

I've taken a vow to only buy after 6 months because I just feel that there is going to be nothing as heartbreaking as walking in on loads of baby stuff if you sadly miscarry. For me it's not worth it.

But each to their own. Some people go through pregnancy with no scares whereas I've already been in hospital at 5weeks.

I'm not really sure how far along I am, I see the OB on Monday (1st visit, so excited). My last period was on 10/8/07, so I'm guessing 7/8 weeks. My parents have a crib that I can have, but it's kind of old fashioned (if I remember correctly). I'm the type of person to be always prepared for anything. My husbands family always make fun of me cause I usually have those handy little things (on the go clorox pens and stuff like that), then once they need them, they think oh yeah, I need to get one of these. To me, it's better to be prepared, other than when the baby gets here and not have everything and have to stress about it when I'm already going to be stressed as it is. I know you get a lot of stuff at baby showers, but I want to get all the big stuff that we can to be better prepared. I guess it gives me a better sense of security knowing that I will have everything that the baby needs when I finally get to bring he or she home.

To RachiePachie, I can understand where you are coming from, if something were to happen to my baby I would be devasted and it would be hard to walk in a room full of baby stuff, but to me, that would be a bridge that my husband and I would have to cross if it ever came our way (I hope it doesn't though). I'll keep you in my prayers, I hope that your baby is healthy. Take care of yourself and try not to stress (easier said than done I imagine). Good luck to you, I wish you the best.

I've had so many scares but it still doesn't hurt to be prepared :D

we are going out in the january sales xxx

I don´t think you´re being too prepared, like you say money will be tight anyway when the baby comes along. As far as furniature for the baby´s room goes, we´re going to recycle a couple of chest of drawers and re paint them, so have already got somewhere to store his/her baby clothes etc and toys. We just need to get a cot.

I know which pram I want, as my friend has the same one and recommended it to me, so its just a case of putting aside some money to pay for that, although we´re hoping our parents might go halves with us on it, or one lot pay for the car seat and one lot for the pram - we´ll see.

Other than that we´ve opened up a savings account and are putting aside what we can each month. That way we´ll have saved up some money, but if things do go pear shaped (which I´m well aware that they can), then at least we won´t have bought too many things and then not need them.

I will admit to having already bought 7 bibs with the days of the week on them though - well they were well priced, and they had the days of the week in English on them and not in German and I don´t want everything my child has to be in German!!!

I have bought one little cardigan, but aside from that I am in no hurry to buy anything or do the baby's room. I will probably wait until I am at least 30 weeks.

I already told my DH that we need to buy winter clothes when they all start going on sale this year. I don't think it's too early at all!

After I have my 1st scan if everything is ok then I am going to start buying a few small things, nappies, clothes ect.

Won't start buying bigger things untill im around 30+ weeks :)

Well I'm buying something for my partner for the baby (if you get that.. lol) for christmas. It doesn't hurt to be prepared.

We have started buying anything yet. I'm going to wait until January. We have been given a few gifts and I sold the couch that was in the guest room that will now be the baby room. Right now I'm just working on making room for the baby.

My friend already volunteered to give me a baby shower, so I'm waiting to register for that and then I'll buy stuff after that.

Oh, wait, I did buy the crib set.

I still have all of my baby stuff from Abbie, she was born 2006, so its still up to date, its all in the loft, all nicely wrapped up, apart from her pram, which i still use, but carrycot and car seat its in the loft, but thinking shall i buy the buggy board or i can get the 2 seats for my pram, as i do alot of walking and she will be 2 1/2, so its not really a big deal, i proberly get new bedding, baby needs something new, ..... Still have lots of her baby clothes from M&P, but if i have a girl, it would be a summer baby, and all her baby things were winter....

When i had Abbie, i started buying things 26 weeks, but before that i had a good look around to see what there was to offer, and read reviews on the product... The pram took me a while to decide, its going to be 1 of your biggest purchase, have a good look around, sometimes these big baby shops are not always the cheapest... The pram the swing and my baby furniture i got at a little shop, about 10 min walk from my house, it was tiny but had all the europian baby things, and loads of prams, really unique, her furniture was M&P but it was cheaper there than in the M&P shop, and if you do have a big purchase, they will take some discount off, and you can pay them weekly or monthly, so by the time baby comes, its all payed.....

we've started talking about it and preparing. I'm having to clean out my craft room to turn it into a nursery. DH has already drawn diagrams on how to turn his study into a two-person study, and started cleaning out closets to make room for the stuff that is currently in the future nursery. And we've already started visiting paint stores to get paint chips to decide what color we're going to paint it (some shade of yellow). But we aren't buying anything til after the first trimester when risk of MC goes down. I kinda feel like we'll be jynxing things if we actually *buy* something before then. We're not even telling anyone til Christmas (I'll be 9.5 weeks then). But we have lists galore of what we'll need. DH has started a baby wishlist on amazon already! he's so cute with all his planning :)

Well, i tried to buy some gdiapers on ebay but lost. Does that count? lol I'm ready to start buying baby clothes. I guess they'll have to be white or green for now.

How come they don't have sporty bibs for girls? Maybe I'll have a girl and she wants to be a "slugger?"

I don't think it is too soon to think ahead at all, I think it is a good idea as it gives you a rough odea of what you need to buy and a rough idea of how much it is all going to cost. The only thing we never did was buy anything until after our 12 weeks scan, then we kept it to a minimum and got all the rest after our 20 week scan! x

I haven't bought any "big" things yet but i have been looking around the shops and have narrowed it down to what i want, going to go and get in the sales hopefully, thats the only reason i haven't bought anything. Some people believe its bad luck to buy before 3 months but i personally think if somethings going to happen it will happen (no offence to anyone who believes this!). As soon as i found out i was pregnant i went and bought a littel outfit from next!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->