Planning to BF and express - what have you bought?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by New2Bumps, Dec 18, 2009.

1. New2Bumps

New2Bumps Mummy to 2 gorgeous boys

Not sure which breast pump and bottles to buy - avent, closer to nature or breastflow. Anyone have any recommendations?

2. cath

cath Well-Known Member

I bought 3 closer to nature & 3 breastflow & will see which LO prefers before I buy any more. The CTN were quite cheap in ASDA & I got the Breastflow ones on offer in TK Maxx

3. gills8752

gills8752 Mum of 2 Girl

I've not had experience with any of them as I'm a first time mummy, but the midwives I have recommend advent or tommee tippee as they are most like the boob with the wider teat that will seem like the areola. They also recommened either the advent pump or medula mini electric pump. I had bought advent bottles and the medula pump before I'd even spoken to them so was well chuffed!

p.s I got my pump off ebay for a fiver 2nd hand as she had mispelt it as breat pump! lol

4. kathylou26

kathylou26 Pregnant - 3rd Trimester

I didn't really know either but I've bought the tomee tippie (sp) breast pump - I haven't bought any additional bottles yet as it comes with one bottle and two of these dinky little milk storage pots, I thought that as you only get tiny amounts of milk out when you first express that would do for now. I can testify that the pump works though - just out of curiosity I tried it out, as I haven't had any leakage or anythng I wanted to see what would happen and sure enough out it came! Don't know what I expected to happen but it shocked the crap out of me! :haha:

5. Snoopy

Snoopy Well-Known Member

I've bought an Avent electronic pump, plus Nuby bottles :)

6. AP

AP Well-Known Member

7. New2Bumps

New2Bumps Mummy to 2 gorgeous boys

That sounds like the kind of think I want - a pump with a couple of bottles and post to start off :)

I haven't had leakage or anything either and it's wierd - I dont' think I'm brave enough to try a pump out yet as I think it would shock me too!!!

8. Mimi80

Mimi80 Well-Known Member

I bought an Avent starter kit with bottles and my SIL gave me her Medela pump. She also gave me a new set of Medela accessories (such as the tube and bottle and some little bags which you can use to freeze the milk).
    I'm hoping this will be enough.

Kathylou26: OMG! I can imagine you being completely shocked!

9. ttcbabyno.1

ttcbabyno.1 Due Date 25th December

I've bought the Meleda swing 2 phase electric breast pump, and mini electric one too. Bottles i bought are avent and steriliser. The meleda electric pumps are what my local nct hire out and recommend as the best ones that closely mimic breast feeding.... my thought is i can always pass them onto a friend or sell if they don't get used or i'm not sucessful.

10. bekkie

bekkie Mommy Due Sept 20

I'm getting the Medela Mini Electric Breast Pump - with BPA Free Bottles - how long are you ladies waiting to express? hubby really wants to get involved as soon as possible with feeding and when I told him that we might have to wait 4 - 6 weeks to avoid nipple confusion he was pretty shattered

11. sweetie_c

sweetie_c Well-Known Member

I plan on purchasing an electric pump already brought the TT starter kit that includes a steriliser, loads of bottles etc.

12. Mimi80

Mimi80 Well-Known Member

Slightly OT but what is that pump actually called.

I wrote Medela, you have Meleda and I've also seen Medula :haha:

13. bekkie

bekkie Mommy Due Sept 20

lol I called it Medula... you're right

it's Medela

14. NuKe

NuKe mummy to 2 gorgeous girls

I haven't got anything yet! dont know if i will be able to bf, so am holding out to see! will send the oh off to get the bf kit or normal bottles kit once we see if she latches on or not!