Please don't judge

knk2011

Reuben's Mummy :)
Reaction score
After one week I am introducing my breast pump. I just need done advice as to a good routine I can get into with feeds and having enough milk set aside for when we go out etc?

I breastfed LO regularly and pumped on the side (starting at 3 weeks) like an idiot. I had no idea about how supply is created so I ended up with engorged breasts after waking up. Needles to say, it was great not to have supply issues but my boobs were hurting and my nipples on fire due to thrush. Unless you have supply issues, only pump at a time when she'd be feeding anyway. You could slowly start up a freezer stash. My refrigerated milk only lasts 4 days before it goes bad.

After one week I am introducing my breast pump. I just need done advice as to a good routine I can get into with feeds and having enough milk set aside for when we go out etc?

Oh my gosh, no judgement! I think it's great! I pumped immediately, fed on one side, pumped the other and ended up with a HUGE supply ~1500oz before we started getting into it. I have about 500oz left but my supply has gone so far down now that I am pregnant again (just found out!). Gonna figure out how to build up again but if I get to - I'll start pumping again asap to get a supply for our new LO!

I pump! I've pumped since day 1... I only draw off 3oz max in the morning though to act as an emergency feed in case I get hit by a bus during the day. It then goes in the freezer to be used as emergency stocks and also to mix into baby food when Euan starts solids.

I also draw off an oz here and there if I get engorged - just to relieve the pain. I don't bother to keep that though.

So far Euan's put on at least 1lb 1oz since birth (he's now 3 weeks).

I finally just used up my supply of pumped milk, plan to pump again when the next one comes along too :)

You should pump often if you want to build up your milk supply. As soon as you empty your breast it will slowly start refilling so you can pump every hour if you wanted, you'd just get less milk. You'll also want to pump every time you bottle feed your baby. You're breasts will become engorged and painful if you don't empty them completely. I've been pumping since Megan was been born and I have a a few in the freezer and 4 always on hand in the fridge.

If he doesn't eat as much as you pump then only feed him 1oz at a time and then you can stock the remaining amount to help slowly build your supply. Your pump should come with storing instructions but you can keep room temp milk out for 4-6 hrs and feed him off the same bottle.

Megan has been back to birth weight since a week old so she feeds on demand, letting me know when she's hungry. She usually takes about 3oz and can go 3-4 hrs before another feeding. That's about how much I pump at each session, if I go 4-5 hrs I can get 5oz so I store any of the extra that I pump. You'll figure out a routine as you become more accustomed to pumping.

Oh my gosh, no judgement! I think it's great! I pumped immediately, fed on one side, pumped the other and ended up with a HUGE supply ~1500oz before we started getting into it. I have about 500oz left but my supply has gone so far down now that I am pregnant again (just found out!). Gonna figure out how to build up again but if I get to - I'll start pumping again asap to get a supply for our new LO!

I am wondering if this would work for me. Reuben feeds brilliantly from my left (this is the one the midwife put him on the first time he fed) but he tends to come off my right breast a lot, or he really bites (or gums..) down, or pulls on my nipple. So I'm wondering if feeding off one and pumping the other would work.

I started the pump at about the same time. I would express in the morning very morning before his first and second feed worked well or us :)

I wouldn't pump more than once or twice a day if you're exclusively feeding and pumping just to build supply. You don't want to end up with an oversupply or you may end up with engorgement and plugged ducts.

Also before you build a massive stash, feed some week-old or older frozen pumped milk to see if the baby will take it. I learned the hard way I have excess lipase in my milk and need to scald it before storage or it will taste bad.

My midwife who discharged me today said I could feed him and then pump after the feed to empty my breasts. Is this ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->