Please help! Dip in supply after surgery. Is it too late to increase my supply? :(

Itsychik

Reaction score
I guess this is a multi-part question. My DD is 7.5 months old and ebf. Yesterday I had surgery to have my gallbladder removed and every attempt to pump since the surgery has been a huge failure. I'm up at 6am now for the morning pump (as I can't bf for at least 24 hours after the surgery) and I was only able to pump 1/4 of what I normally could!

Also, in the past 2 weeks I've had a noticeable dip in supply. At first I thought AF was coming back (boo!) but I only spotted lightly for a few days and it's gone again. But I noticed a dip in supply (suddenly not able to pump as much, DD being unsatisfied after a feed and fussy/frustrated at the breast). Now with having the surgery in addition to this I'm really worried my supply won't recover!

Is it still possible to increase supply after 8 months? I know all the 'tricks' (had a low supply with my DS and tried everything under the sun to increase it, but nothing helped) but don't know if it's a lost cause?

Anyone with any experience or suggestions??

Thanks in advance!!

I didn't want to read and run. I have not had surgery I wish I could help. Is there any chance you might be pregnant? My pumping output has gone down significantly. Seems like the kind of thing they'd check before surgery though.

I wish I could help more!

Is there a reason why you can't breastfeed? I don't think pumping would be as effective if your baby normally gets the milk directly from the breast.

Thanks for your responses!!

misspriss- I actually took a HTP the week before the operation just to be sure and it was negative. But that thought had crossed my mind as well

minties- I wasn't allowed to breastfeed for 24 hours after surgery and during the week I pump twice a day while I'm at work (and more recently, also after DD goes to bed to try and make sure I have enough to send with DD to daycare the next day).

I'm now 4 days post surgery and things seem to be getting back to normal, thankfully! I was really stressing out for a few days.

Thanks again :flower:

Glad it seems to be bouncing back!!

(Preggo brain moment here, no matter how long I've been on these boards and whatnot, I had to read HPT a few times to remember what it was?!? I'm going crazy...)

Thankyou for posting this. I am having my gallbladder removed in 2 weeks and am breastfeeding. My daughter is 5 weeks old. I am a bit anxious about it. Did you have any discomfort while breastfeeding since surgery?

What about the surgery meant you could not nurse? Was it pain relief? When I had mine out I was home a couple of hours later. I wasn't breastfeeding by then but was asked how old my kids were and if I was nursing that it would be fine to.

Glad things are going OK!

it's the anesthesia. It depends on who you ask. Surgeons and anesthesiologists will tell you to pump and dump for 24-48 hours and lactation consultants will tell you it is fine to nurse depending on the medications used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->