PLEASE HELP!!!! I need to get my insurance to cover my homebirth!!!

Guppy051708

2 by Sea 2 by Land
Reaction score
I am a New Hampshire, USA resident.The law here (in New Hampshire) is that insurance companies must cover a homebirth that is attended by a certified midwife. Our insurance was denying this (we would like to have a homebirth with our current pregnancy). Anyways, we contacted NH Insurance Department. They said because our insurance is self-funded, that they are not dictated by NH laws. :( We then recontacted our insurance company and asked "how can we bring about change to this?". They (blue cross blue shield of Massachusetts) said "it's not that WE dont cover homebirth, it's that your husband's employer (Liberty Mutual) does not cover it, period." She then elaborated with "well you could contact your husbands HR and requ"est that they change their minds and cover a homebirth, furthermore, there is only one week (in Nov.) with open enrollement. If they are going to change their coverage that is the only time they can do so." (thank God im not due to Feb. and if they did change it, it would be effective Jan. 1). Anyways, I am asking for assistance on how to speak to these people about it. We tried before and they just said "they would assist us in finding someone in-network" and they wrote off what we were really getting at, why home birth was not covered. We want to try again with more diligence and have great knowledge to back our argument up. So whats a professional way of doing this? Anyone have any articles, advice, tips, research, ANYTHING to help change this coverage? Many thanks!:flower:

Just wanted to let you know that I read your post! And I wish you the best of luck! Wish I could help but umm I'm not the best at being professional when it comes to stupidity like this situation. Insurance companies just get me so worked up sometimes. Not to mention I am the worst at putting words together. :( Sorry wish I could help

I honestly have no idea, because even though I live in the US, I'm rubbish having any idea about things like this. But I wanted to give :hugs: and support to you. I hope someone will be able to help you figure out how to make things sway for your cause!

<3!

I honestly have no idea, because even though I live in the US, I'm rubbish having any idea about things like this. But I wanted to give :hugs: and support to you. I hope someone will be able to help you figure out how to make things sway for your cause!

<3!

Thanks so much hun :hugs: I really appreciate it

Oooh man, I wish I could help :( the only insight I have is that if you talk to your husbands HR I "think" open enrollment is extended in cases of marriage and babies. Though maybe that's just the birth of the baby :(

Either way, I'd see what your hubby's HR has to say. Hopefully they will be accommodating :(

I wish you the best of luck :( hopefully it will be an east fix once you tell them BCBS said it was okay!

I copy and pasted your post in an email to my mother. She worked for the Texas Department of Insurance for a long time, and I thought she might have some ideas on how to approach it. I will let you know what she says.

I copy and pasted your post in an email to my mother. She worked for the Texas Department of Insurance for a long time, and I thought she might have some ideas on how to approach it. I will let you know what she says.

Wow! thank you so very very much! that means so much to me and im so grateful for your resource :friends:

She may not be able to help, but is the only person I know who is very knowledgeable about insurance companies, and how to work with them.

I'm having the same problem. I work for a small company that gets an insurance policy through the hospital. So of course they want you to give birth at the hospital, and won't approve a midwife birth at a birthing center or home birth.
I make too much money to apply for Medicaid, but don't make enough to be able to pay for a birth thats not covered by insurance. :cry: I was so disappointed with my hospital birth last time that I don't want to do it again :cry:

I'm having the same problem. I work for a small company that gets an insurance policy through the hospital. So of course they want you to give birth at the hospital, and won't approve a midwife birth at a birthing center or home birth.
I make too much money to apply for Medicaid, but don't make enough to be able to pay for a birth thats not covered by insurance. :cry: I was so disappointed with my hospital birth last time that I don't want to do it again :cry:

:hugs: :hugs: and more :hugs:
I totally understand :friends: after being pushed with the whole "hopsital system experience" i did have the best waterbirth (i refused all intervention), but the problem i have is they took my son away for "observation" and zero medical reason to do so. We were also told it was a "baby friendly status" hospital and they encourge BFing and rooming in. Well, they only let me hold him twice in his first day of life and when I went to BF him the nurse was really rude and pushy and only let me BF him for 5 minutes :cry: by the time they let me have him, i was so exhausted i couldn't (30 hours of labor, posterior birth, no complications). I still am upset about it...i dont think i'll ever get over...so i want this time to be different...no hospitals.....are you in Florida? I have learned a lot about laws recently, and im sure i could look into it for you :hugs:

My mom's reply, but it doesn't sound helpful.

If they are self funded then they may be exempt from State Law.

I would file a legal complaint thru the NH Ins. Department against the company. If they are like Texas, the Insurance Company has a set amount of days (ours is 14) to have a response and try to work with the party filing the complaint.

Put every conversation in writing with names and date. Document, document, document...

Sometime push comes to shove and maybe the insurance company needs a little shove.

:hugs: to you too!! I didn't do alot of research about my options when I was pregnant the first time, so I believed what everyone told me. My doctor said I had to be induced at 41 weeks. Then at the hospital I was told I had to stay in bed and be monitored. Then I was told they had to break my waters for me to progress.
My husband left to get food, and the nurse came and told me I needed my Epidural. When I declined, she told how horrible my pain would be and that I would be beggin for it, but the epidural guy was going home so it was now or never. She basically scared me into saying yes when I tired, scared and alone.
I finally put my foot down when they tried to talk to me about a c-section.
I rescently watched "the business of being born" and they talked about what a typical hospital birth is like and they were so accurate I thought they were at my delievery.
Yes i am in Florida!

I rescently watched "the business of being born" and they talked about what a typical hospital birth is like and they were so accurate I thought they were at my delievery.
Yes i am in Florida!

This is becoming THE picture of birth in America. Sometimes I do wonder if I am paranoid about OBs and hospital birth, but I keep hearing the same stories time and time and time again. It makes me sad when I see US women on this board just going along with what their doctors are telling them or being really defensive because doctors know more.

Hi Hun,
I cannot help i'm afraid because I am from the UK and dont understand your insurances.

Although I watched a program here called one born every minute and then the same series done in the USA and the difference was amazing!

In the UK they try and promote a more natural birth, less intervention and are even promoting home births as a more standard practice and the US are getting more and more medicated births every year and they try and get you stay in bed and they dont promote the natural birth option.

I understand where you are coming from as I am looking to have a homebirth this time and would be devastated if I was told no just because some man in a suit that I didnt even know decided so!

good luck hun and i hope you get it all sorted.

hope it works out for you hun sorry i cant advise ive not had to deal with health insurance before

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->