Please, help me increase my supply :(

wish4baby

Reaction score
I had the flu and stupidly took medicines for congestion & runny nose for about 3 days, and it significantly diminished my supply. Plus, baby girl (almost 7 weeks) got sick too, so she nursed a little less. Now I need to reestablish my milk supply! Please help!

Yesterday, during the day, I was able to feed her enough. She was still a bit sick, and had less of an appetite. I used a timer and fed every 2.5 hours (or sooner, if she wanted). Since she was sleeping so much I didn't want her to miss a feeding. After feeding her, I pumped, maybe got close to an oz on each side. I pumped 4 times during the day.

But, last night was just AWFUL!! She started feeling better, and her appetite came back full force - she wanted to nurse a lot and I just flat ran out of milk.
From 1 am until 6 am (co-sleep) she was latched on and trying to get milk. I kept changing sides but not much would come out.
I wasn't feeling my usual let downs & my breasts felt completely empty - I was able to squeeze out a drop and I felt her swallow after several sucks. So, something was coming out, just not near enough.

I didn't know if I should give her pumped milk - since I'm trying to build my supply back up...what do you think? If we have a similar night, should I give her the milk I've frozen?

Earlier today, I fed her on both sides, then about 30 min later pumped. I only got 1.5 oz total, which is less than yesterday (it was closer to 2 oz after feeding her). So it seems like it's getting worse :(

Is feeding every 2.5 hours during the day enough to build my supply? And pumping after feeding, about 4 times a day, enough?
Is there anything else I should do?

Thanks in advance!

Just continue nursing, she will up ur supply naturally on her own. just offer it more. Breastmilk is supply and demand.

She wont run out of milk either, its never empty. It does slow and she has to work more harder to get it (thrus making them fussy and mad) but its always there.

Also pumping has ZERO reference to how much milk you make. The average breastfeeding mother can only pump about .5-2oz a DAY once their milk is regulated to start with. Baby will also always be able to produce more milk, because the saliva on a babies mouth goes though our nipples and actually signals our bodies to make more milk and that baby Is nursing and so on, a lot of science behind nursing ;).

just keep offering and you'll be good. She could also be going though a growth spurt too and just wanting to nurse more.

Since you mention pumping, I figure these might be worth mentioning.

There are ways to increase your supply, things called galactagogues. I found this article on Kelly Mom that covers what they are and what to consider before using them: https://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/herbs/herbal_galactagogue/

Personally, I have found oats to be a blessing, as they helped my supply come in early and gave me enough to pump and freeze and start my stash for going back to work. More on oatmeal here: https://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/oatmeal/

The lactation counselors at the hospital where I gave birth also spoke highly of lactation cookies, which contain many of the galactagogues.

As with all things, you may want to talk with your midwife, OB, or other medical professional if you want to add these in and have any questions.

Thanks!
I am going to pick up some lactation cookies and mothers milk tea in the morning.
I also have been eating oatmeal almost every morning (I usually do that anyways, I love oatmeal)

That's really cool about the baby's saliva. I saw this "amazing breastfeeding facts" sheet and it said that our bodies recognize illnesses through baby's saliva and make specific antibodies for baby!

Well, it's 9:30pm here and I just put her down, I hope tonight goes better than last night...we didn't have any issues during the day. I didn't pump after 1pm (I froze about 3 oz total today) so hopefully there will be plenty of milk for her when she wakes up for a feed *fx*

I swear by the mothers milk tea and oatmeal. I have each every day. Oatmeal in the morning and milk tea before bed. 8 months of breast feeding and still going strong. Also let LO nurse as much as they want. That always helps your supply as well.

I was going to say oatmeal as well! And yeah pumping has no relation to how much milk you have as baby is sooo much more effieient than a pump!
Just nurse, nurse, and nurse some more! Baby will increase your supply:):)

As long as she's getting enough fluids, just let her stay on the boob for as long as she wants to. It's the same as when they've just been born really - the longer she's on there the more your body knows to make more milk. Expressing will stimulate supply but not as much so if it was a choice of letting LO stay on the breast or expressing, go with LO - she knows what to do :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->