Please help me!!!

blinkybaby

Reaction score
my 1 week old baby is crying and wont stop - i have no idea what to do.

I've been breastfeeding him constantly on and off since about 6 o clock, he drops off at the breast, i put him in his moses basket, he sicks up, stirs, starts crying again, he's inconsolable.

I'm sitting here in tears and I just dont know what to do

sorry hun not got any advice but didnt wanna read and run so giving you a hug instead :hugs:

Firstly, I know how hard it is and its not because you are doing anything wrong :hugs: it sounds like he might be full of wind and is sucking for comfort which makes the tummy pain worse. breaking the cycle might help. Have you got some support with you? could someone take him and walk round with him upright? it sounds like you need a break :hugs:

:hugs: It's difficult at the start - hang in there!

I'll try to keep this practical for you:
*he may be cluster feeding - offer him the breast again - if he refuses it, move on to other things.
*make sure you remember to wind him after each feed - if there's a burp stuck in there it will make him grumpy and cause him to be sick.
*If he needs a cuddle, give him one - hold him as much as you're comfortable with.
*If all else fails, load him up and go for a walk or drive - they are usually the guaranteed ways to settle a crying baby.

It will get better in time :hugs:

i had a similar problem when Will was i week old. The conclusion me and MW came to was that I over fed him!!!! he had tummy ache because of trapped wind, but thought he was hungry so ate more, more wind, more food etc. I now have to wait 2 hours between the end of one feed and the start of another, I also use dentinox for the wind. Most MW reccommend infacol but it did nothing for Will.

What colour are LO's poo's? Yellow is good, Green is windy poo!!!!

Could also be reflux, try raising the head end of the moses basket by putting a couple of books under it.

thats the other thing, im breastfeeding but he hasnt pooed since thursday, im really worried but none of the MWs seem to be. he seems to have settled in my arms now and is dropping off slowly but his tummy is growling and hes farting a lot. i feel like he could be cluster feeding but he keeps sicking up, surely if he were hungry for my milk he would not sick it back up???

thats the other thing, im breastfeeding but he hasnt pooed since thursday, im really worried but none of the MWs seem to be. he seems to have settled in my arms now and is dropping off slowly but his tummy is growling and hes farting a lot. i feel like he could be cluster feeding but he keeps sicking up, surely if he were hungry for my milk he would not sick it back up???

sounds like wind to me too - he'll want to comfort suck to ease the pain. My LO used to go a week between poos - breastmilk doesnt have a lot of waste! Winding small ones can be really tricky but if you can get him to burp and then settle he might have a sleep and give you a break before he is hungry again. I find holding them over your shoulder and doing gentle circle rubs on the back can help with winding. You're doing a great job, stick with it :hugs:

It sounds like wind to me too.
My LO was really hard to wind when he was tiny; I used to put him over my shoulder and pat in-between his shoulder blades. One of the MWs told me that if he had a bluet tinge around his mouth and nose, it was probably wind.
I also just wanted to say that it does get easier and you're not doing anything wrong.
Hang in there.
Hugs.
xx

yup it def sounds like wind, try lying him on his tummy and massaging his lower back as the wind may have gone tto far down to burp and be causing him bellyache, another trik is to rub clockwise circles on the belly to encourage a fart(sorry lol) or to lie baby on his back and cycle his legs as if he were riding a midair bike

all of thew above things will result in a resounding fart and he might settle for a while for you

youre doing a great job

Try putting him to your shoulder, and patting him on the back. Not only are you helping with wind, but if he is having problems with acid reflux, then it's easing that, too! :thumbup:

Another thing is it could be he just wants to be held -- when Elijah was three weeks, he got to the point that the only way he would nap was on my shoulder. I learned how to do things with one hand really quickly! He still sleeps on my shoulder, but he'll also sleep in swing now, too.

All he's known is mommy for the past nine months, maybe the cot is just a bit frightening to him, right now?

Just a few suggestions. :flower:

yup it def sounds like wind, try lying him on his tummy and massaging his lower back as the wind may have gone tto far down to burp and be causing him bellyache, another trik is to rub clockwise circles on the belly to encourage a fart(sorry lol) or to lie baby on his back and cycle his legs as if he were riding a midair bike

all of thew above things will result in a resounding fart and he might settle for a while for you

youre doing a great job

You can also take his feet and gently press his knees up towards his belly. This is one way I get the farts out of my LO! :haha:

sounds like wind hun. lie him on his back and wind his legs as though he is on a bike. i hope he settles for you soon hun, i know it's tough :hugs:

You poor thing, that sounds so tiring.

Everyone else already gave you great advice, so I just wanted to add in as well that things do get better. The first 2 weeks were a nightmarish blur of constant baby crying and feeding and not sleeping for me. I wanted to take him back to the hospital, I got quite depressed.

Now he's 8 weeks old and I can barely recall the bad bits, he's so good now that I want another baby already!

You are doing so so well, keep it up.

hi its so hard to begin with isint it,u just want to do the right thing but dont know what that is:shrug:
agree with everyone else it does sound like wind.if u start using infacol it will take about a week to start working.
just enjoy cuddling him

forgot to say, it surprised me how long you have to 'wind' them for! I though couple of taps on the back!!! Turns out my LO can empty a boob in 10-15 mins and I spend the next 45 winding him!!!!!!

u have got some really great advice here, it also sound like wind to me. i can sympathise, poppy had colic until she was 10 weeks. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->